OS X Boot problem

10 posts in this topic

Hi

I have a problem with OS X booting. I need to have the Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD inserted in order to boot. It is like the bootloader is not installed. Is there a way I can install the bootloader again so it does not need the DVD inserted in order to boot.

Thanks

Though i'm not sure your in the right sub :) ....here ya go

Boot DVD and press f8

at prompt boot with -s

when booted to single user prompt type "fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0" without quotes and 0 being 1st hd

next type "flag 1" 1 being the 1st partition

type "u" to update

type "w" to write MBR

type "quit" to well....quit

type "reboot" to...

remove DVD and you should be off and bootin

Kenny

Hi

I thought EFI installed by default with the Kalyway DVD, thats what someone here said. If not then how do I install it?

I only used MBR when it was formatted and I selected it in the customize menu

What happens when you boot without the DVD? ;)

I have the same problem. the error is "HFS+ partition error."

I have tried that quite a few times and it has never worked. :P

I use 10.5.2 AMD-EFI. on dell inspiron 1521 [ati 690G/sb600]

OK, what HD (1st=0, 2nd=1...) and patition (1st=1, 2rd=2...) do you have OSX installed? Fdisk should work. You can try Gparted live to flag the partition, that has worked for some. If when you boot Gparted, the correct partition is marked bootable, unchech it and reboot, then boot Gparted again and mark it........that may work.

You can use the update to 10.5.2 but not the auto update. You can download it, and search the forum for instructions on install. Or I used "Kalyway_hack10.5.2ComboUpdate" (correct search name) and it worked 100%. Just be sure to backup what you have, so if something goes wrong, you don't shoot me :P .

Kenny

BTW, are you multi booting? If so, what other OS?

OS X is installed on hard drive 0 partition 1. GParted LiveCD tells me the partition is 'BAD'. Does that matter. I have flagged it is active but the problem remains.

I thought that if that EFI thing was installed you could install the updates just like a real mac.

I have a multi boot of OSX and Vista.