No sound on my macbook

bigeasy

10 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I've got a headphone jack stuck in the port on my macbook and the sound isn't working at all. My housemate snapped his headphone off in it and apple say it will cost more than a new macbook to repair.

Is there any way to set the sound so it comes out of the headphone and speakers at the same time? That should fix the problem as it only wont utput the sound from the speakers because it thinks there are headphones plugged in.

cheers

Is the headphone jack still physically stuck in the port? If so, you can try to pry it out with some thin electricians tweezers. If you're not under warranty then you might as well try to open your macbook (carefully!) and push the headphone jack from behind.

Good luck!

hecker

unfortunatly it is still stuck in there, there is no way of getting it out and the macbook is still under warranty. Also you can't push it out as the headphone port is a sealed unit you would have to desolder it from the board and solder another on.

You could also try to glue a thin steel pin with superglue to the jack and then pull it out very carefully. I agree with the poster above that you should take a picture of the area (use the macro function).

EDIT: If you do the superglue trick, then put the macbook sideways and just use enough glue to cover the tip of the needle or pin and make sure it doesn't touch the plastic housing!

How old/new is the Macbook?

If you don't think it's worth spending the money to repair and no longer want it, you might have a buyer. ;)

In any case, try the superglue idea, but given the likelihood that the jack is being held in by its grooves mating the with grooves of the female end in the Macbook, then it's probably held in quite securely.

Is there any protrusion of the jack at all?

• 3 weeks later...