slow file transport with airport

8 posts in this topic

hello,

i have an airport express (the G one with 54 mbit/s) with a dell and an imac connected to it. when i want to copy a file from my imac to my dell it's copying with a speed of 1 mbyte/sec. that's extremely slow! is this normal or do i need to change a few preferences?

because when i move a file from my alu imac to my old imac (which has a 10 mbit/s ethernet port, so this is slower than the airport) with an ethernet cable it goes much faster!

- Check the wireless connection speeds. Although if there are no long distances or many obstacles involved, you should get a strong signal and high speed. But check anyway.

- Use an app like NetStumbler to scan for wireless networks. There might be more wireless networks in the same area that are interfering with yours. See what channels the others are running on and change yours to move away from them (you need at least a 5 channel separation to minimise overlap and interference - the more, the better)

- Wireless may not perform as well as wired Ethernet, despite higher theoretical speeds. I suppose it should be faster than 10Mbps Ethernet under the right conditions, but this can't be guaranteed. There are several issues to consider here, but I won't go into them now.

the imac is connected at max speed (the airport is like 1 meter away from the imac) and the dell shows it's connected with a speed of 54 mbps (also the max)

oke, i will download netstumbler to check the channels

thx!

damn, just checked the wireless networks in my neighbourhood:mine is on channel 1there is another one on channel 1there are two networks on channel 6and two networks on channel 11so i put my network on channel 3 because there are only 11 channels, so i can't have 5 channel seperation :swill test the network speed nowvery strange: the file copy speed is still 1 mbyte/swtf is wrong with my network?

Regarding channels and overlap - a channel is nominally ~22MHz wide, and adjacent channels' centre frequencies are 5MHz apart, which leads to the 5-channel rule. Following this, you'd be better off on channel 1, since then you'll be overlapping with the other channel 1 network, whereas on channel 3, you'll also be overlapping with the two channel 6 networks. However, this reasoning does not take into account the signal strengths of other networks at your location (which I don't know); this should also be considered.

Another thing I can suggest is to use iperf - http://sourceforge.net/projects/iperf - to test your network bandwidth. This way you can isolate it from other issues such as disks and file sharing protocols (although you did say that you got better performance via Ethernet).

Sorry I can't think of anything else at the moment (I like helping out at times, since it's also good training for myself).

okay, listen up...

first, you'll net to get

iperf from here http://dast.nlanr.net/Projects/Iperf/

extract the archive, 'chmod +x iperf' and 'move iperf /usr/local/bin' so it can be located via $PATH.

second, get jperf (the java gui), fire up a terminal and run

sh jperf.sh

to launch the jperf-gui. of course, you can 'chmod +x jperf.sh' so it'll run by double-clicking on it.

have phun.

sorry for being a total noob in opensource-make-files stuff!i'm under leopard nowi downloaded "iperf-1.7.0-powerpc-apple-darwin6.4.tar.gz"and the source code "iperf-1.7.0-source.tar.gz"i unzipped these archives but i don't find "chmod +x iperf". so i can't move it

maybe this information will help:

i connect from my imac to the dell using "smb://10.0.1.5"

i connect from my dell to my imac using "network places"(i made my shared folder on my imac a network place on that dell)

my imac has 2 ip's (it's wired to the router and connected to the airport), the dell has only one ip because it's connected the airport