PWNage confusion

wildd86

6 posts in this topic

So I'm a bit confused by the whole pwnage thing. I don't quite understand the whole thing. I get that people want their phones/unlocked and jailbroken, but is that the only reason for this whole thing? I have a few questions below:

1. If I'm an AT&T customer not planning to switch, should I do this? Also, if I can wait until June for 2.0, should I still do this?

2. If I do it does it void the warranty?

3. Can I revert to legit firmware later?

I don't mean to come off as a pessimist, because I am interested, but I just don't think I understand it all. If someone can clarify I'd appreciate it.

Pwnage is a tool that will allow you to take an .ipsw file (the iPod touch/iPhone firmwares) and modify them so that you can pre-jailbreak/activate/unlock the devices before you load the firmware onto them. Then you take that modified firmware and restore with it directly in iTunes.

1) You can. As I said, you have the option of just jailbreaking and activating before loading the firmware with Pwnage.

2) Yes, but if you take an original vanilla version of the .ipsw you used, you can restore and it will be like new, no worries about the warranty, as they cannot tell the difference between an OOTB device and a restored device.

3) Yes.

• 1 month later...

When activating&jailbreaking&unlocking iPhone with Pwnage tool what should I select under General? Activate and Enable Baseband update, what about update Bootloader?

Thank you,

Benjamin.

When activating&jailbreaking&unlocking iPhone with Pwnage tool what should I select under General? Activate and Enable Baseband update, what about update Bootloader?

Thank you,

Benjamin.

If your iPhone is stock, DO NOT TOUCH the bootloader, just leave it like it is.