HP DV6245CA: Doom 3 Runs faster on my Leopard (hackintosh) VS. Windows OS!

children_of_the_dragon

10 posts in this topic

This is the most interesting thing I have seen: I have a quad-boot Windows Vista/XP, Mac OS X Leopard and Ubuntu. After testing a few identical games on a couple of the OS's, this is what I have found:

>Unreal Tournament: runs equally fast on Vista, XP, and Leopard

>Doom 3: runs FASTER (WAY WAY WAY faster) on Mac OS X

>The Sims 2: runs faster on Vista; on XP frame rate keeps on changing

Before I tested it, I was ASSUMING that all games (same titles) would run faster on the Windows OS, vs. the Mac OS (since they all are using the same hardware, namely my HP DV6245CA laptop). But doom 3 is unplayable on the Vista/XP OS, but is lightingly fast on Mac OS X (lowest gfx settings, of course).

I'm assuming Window is using DX3D hardware acceleration while Mac OS X is using OpenGL, OPENGL RULES!

I'm going to test a few more games later (same titles, differen't platforms), stay tuned!

PS: my sys specs:

HP DV6245CA (Canadian Edition, lol)

1gb ram

160 gb SATA hd

Intel Core 2 Duo

Intel GMA 950 gfx card

Conexant Audio

:rolleyes:

I don't mean to be rude, but making performance comparisons about games when using a GMA950 is not very realistic. I barely consider GMA950 as being enough for running desktop applications so let alone running games.

With proper hardware and drivers a Windows machine totally destroys a Mac, Osx is decent for the games that run on it but we are still far away from Windows performance...

My 2 cents.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I don't mean to be rude, but making performance comparisons about games when using a GMA950 is not very realistic. I barely consider GMA950 as being enough for running desktop applications so let alone running games.

With proper hardware and drivers a Windows machine totally destroys a Mac, Osx is decent for the games that run on it but we are still far away from Windows performance...

My 2 cents.

Actually, when games are written well for MacOS, they do often run better. OS X uses multithreaded OpenGL. As far as I know, Windows still doesn't. WoW runs much faster in OS X on the same hardware (my boyfriend can get over 200 FPS in OS X on the hackintosh I built for him. It gets closer to 100 with the same settings in Windows). I haven't tested with other games because I haven't really played computer games in years.

WoW does run indeed better on OSX as long as you don't use GMA chips since OSX drivers are crappy :hysterical:

And 2.4.2 will run even better, not only thanks to some tweaks, but enabling Full Screen Glow + MSAA won't kill the FPS like before.

• 1 year later...
This is the most interesting thing I have seen: I have a quad-boot Windows Vista/XP, Mac OS X Leopard and Ubuntu. After testing a few identical games on a couple of the OS's, this is what I have found:

>Unreal Tournament: runs equally fast on Vista, XP, and Leopard

>Doom 3: runs FASTER (WAY WAY WAY faster) on Mac OS X

>The Sims 2: runs faster on Vista; on XP frame rate keeps on changing

Before I tested it, I was ASSUMING that all games (same titles) would run faster on the Windows OS, vs. the Mac OS (since they all are using the same hardware, namely my HP DV6245CA laptop). But doom 3 is unplayable on the Vista/XP OS, but is lightingly fast on Mac OS X (lowest gfx settings, of course).

I'm assuming Window is using DX3D hardware acceleration while Mac OS X is using OpenGL, OPENGL RULES!

I'm going to test a few more games later (same titles, differen't platforms), stay tuned!

PS: my sys specs:

HP DV6245CA (Canadian Edition, lol)

1gb ram

160 gb SATA hd

Intel Core 2 Duo

Intel GMA 950 gfx card

Conexant Audio

;)

Hi, I just have a doubt, it has nothing to do with doom 3, but how did you install mac os X on your dv6245, I have the same computer and I have been having a lot of trouble trying to run wifi and wlan using iatkos 5i, could you help me please? thank you in advance.

• 2 months later...
Hi, I just have a doubt, it has nothing to do with doom 3, but how did you install mac os X on your dv6245, I have the same computer and I have been having a lot of trouble trying to run wifi and wlan using iatkos 5i, could you help me please? thank you in advance.

Well I recently just installed iATKO v7 in a triple boot: Leopard, Windows 7, and newest version of ubuntu (9.04 I think). Now I'm getting a lot more crashes in Leopard than before (I think when I wrote the initial post I was using iATKO v5). Listen buddy it totally depends on the laptop you are using. My DV6245ca has Intel Core 2 Duo processors, but I know some DV6245's have AMD procesors. Which ones do you have?