How to backup EFI_MBR?

exman

7 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Everytime I do a full restore with Time Machine, it loses the EFI_MBR info.  I have to boot with the Kalyway DVD.  Without the DVD, it's just a blank screen with a blinking cursor.

I've re-istalled the efi_mbr package from the Kalyway DVD, but it doesn't fix it.

Prior to Time Machine restore, I can boot into Leopard without the DVD, after restore, I need the DVD.  

Is there a better backup software or a fix for this?

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone,

Everytime I do a full restore with Time Machine, it loses the EFI_MBR info. I have to boot with the Kalyway DVD. Without the DVD, it's just a blank screen with a blinking cursor.

I've re-istalled the efi_mbr package from the Kalyway DVD, but it doesn't fix it.

Prior to Time Machine restore, I can boot into Leopard without the DVD, after restore, I need the DVD.

Is there a better backup software or a fix for this?

Cheers,

Hi:

I have the same problem with the same Leopard version (Kalyway update to 10.5.2)

Only boot with the dvd instalation.

Somebody knows to fix it?

Thanks

All the OS X backup and HD cloning software are utter {censored}.

I booted into Windows, use Acronis True Image which cloned a perfect image of my OS X partition. Acronis is the best solution, I recommend it.

The problem is OS X HFS+ filesystem is very {censored} compared to NTFS. A 10GB HFS+ partition will only compressed down to about 9.5GB, my 10GB NTFS partition would compress down to 3GB images.

You can clone to another partition on the same HDD or different HDD or a DVD or USB device/stick, but whichever location you clone to must have large enough free disk space, else it will not work.

I use Acronis True Image Workstation 9.5.

From a terminal, this works great for me:

sudo rsync -xrlptgoEv --delete / /Volumes/LeoBackupVolume

This will make an exact (deleting everything it is NOT) image onto your backup volume, and it will be bootable. Very nice, fast, and easy.

I just put it in a script file (backup_OS.sh), and run it from the Finder (run with Terminal)

And yes, you do need that Alphabet soup (caps sensitive). I got it from the CarbonCopyCloner website, here:

http://www.bombich.com/mactips/image.html

-Dan