Difference of time between VISTA and OS X

yeye

10 posts in this topic

Hello,

I've noticed something which is a little boring. Indeed, when I'm on VISTA and if I set the time at 0:00, when I'll go on OS X, time will be at 1:00!

In the other case, if I set OS X at 0:00, when I'll go on VISTA, time will be at 23:00!

As I live in France, I've to set me in London on OS X to have the time corresponding between VISTA and OS X but that will have consequences on the time of my emails etc... so it's not the good solution

Do you have any idea to resolve this problem?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

on leopard:

open time and date preffs, disable "set time and date automatically", set Time and Date one time zone less less , eg :UK (ironic, you're french), set the hour correctly.

That should be it.

You shouldn't have to mess with vista now.

• 3 weeks later...

I live on the East Coast of the United States and I have my Mac OS X time zone set to London, England...

:(

When I boot Vista, I am in Orlando, FL, US and when I boot Mac OS X I am in London, England. Talk about hopping across the pond.

All you need is a file called appletime.exe. It is available in the forums

The issue is Windows is the only OS which stores local time in System CMOS instead of GMT.

If you put appletime.exe in startup folder of Windows, then this will instruct windows to adjust the time correctly. The System CMOS will have time in GMT and so leopard will be correct too.

In XP there are no issues putting appletime.exe in Startup Folder, however in Vista, doing so will pop up a UAC prompt every time you boot and you have to click OK. There is a workaround for installing appletime.exe as a service in Vista and this does not need clicking OK on UAC dialog. I use this and it works perfectly.

Without this fix, for me the time was 12 hours different between Vista and Leopard am instead of pm! :D

Do not try the registry change in Vista or XP (as suggested in some posts) as this messes up other programs such as Outlook

I actually installed the entire Bootcamp kit from the official Leopard disk onto Windows Vista x64 on my Dell Vostro 1500 to solve this issue. I was pleased that it actually worked. The problem with this method however is that it installs all the drivers and whatnot that I don't need for my system...so, I ended up reinstalling my chipset drivers, video drivers, etc. The time correction still works OK though. The reason I did this instead of changing my time zone in OSX is because of Entourage. Offsetting the timezone screws up my appointment times and whatnot (using an Exchange), so I found it's better for me to correct the Windows time intead. Hope this helps a bit.