Asus m50sv with osx?

Murty

23 posts in this topic

First of all, I am a noob. I am pretty good with MS (IT sys engineer), but this is the first time i've attempted to install OSX on anything. Please bear with me.

I've tried these 2 guides:

http://dailyapps.net/2008/03/hack-attack-d...-windows-vista/

http://lifehacker.com/348653/install-os-x-...acking-required

But never get far enough to complete them...

Link to Laptop:

http://au.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu...3=523&l4=36

Desktop/Laptop:

Laptop

Prebuilt:

Yes

Manufacturer:

Asus

Model:

m50sv

Install Methods summary:

- Tried booting from iATKOS v1.0i (halts at using xxxxx buffer headers and xxxx cluster IO buffer headers)

- Tried booting from Kalyway LEO 10.5.1 (boots, then loads a heap of drivers, then reboots, then tries to do it again)

Does EFI and/or the Vanilla kernel work? (example: partitioned as MBR, EFI v8 + Vanilla Kernel)

This doesnt mean a lot to me sorry.

CPU

Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 (2.5ghz)

RAM

2gb

Video

Nvidia Geforce 9500M GS 512mb

HDD

Seagate 250gb (its in a notebook, not sure if IDE or SATA)

Basically I want to dual boot leopard and vista on my laptop, but i need to get leopard to install first before i can worry about the dual boot part...

Please let me know if there is anything else you need to know. I really want to get this working :(

Cheers for any help.

OK guys, thanks to the Chat I am finally getting somewhere.

At the moment it is "Checking Installation DVD"...

Here is what I have done so far:

1. Install Vista

2. Shrink partition by 50gb

3. Make the new partition a 'simple disk', with no volume name and no formatting

4. Restart and boot from Kalyway 10.5.1 disk

5. Press F8 at first screen

6. Type in: -v cpus=1

7. Let it run for a few minutes

8. It should then bring up the first install screen, select your language and click -->

9. Hit continue on the next screen

10. Hit Agree to Kalyway's terms

11. Click utilities > disk utility

12. Select the partition you created over on the left

13. Click 'Erase' and select 'mac osx extended (journaled)'

14. Hit Erase

15. Close the disk utility

16. Select the disk you want to install to

I will update this as I go, just so other people who get this notebook (a fine one at that) will have a sporting chance of getting Leopard cranking as well.

[update] Hmm... well it installed fine and then asked me to restart... now I am stumped about what to do....I have taken the disk out and it has come up with 'b0 error'??

• 3 weeks later...

I also tried to install Leopard 10.5.0 on my Asus M50SV, many times, three source dvd I've bought so far (4.7, 5.0, aaand 5.0). On 10.5.0 it's always stop working after loading the framework (or whatsoever). But I'll try the "-v cpus=1" line.

My question is:

- How to find out that Osx we try to install is built for 32 or 64 bit architecture?

- Is M50SV could handle 64 bit Leo?

**ps: searched a lot, and still there's so little information about instaling osx on asus m50sv notebooks, I'll watch this topic

Guys there is a post that is being run by kabyl in drivers section about modding bios to get all cores to work. It wont work properly without modding the bios. Simple watered down reason: Asus and MSI put alias for each core in the bios that really dont do anything but it pisses os x off and tries to see the alias as another core... causing it to hault. I have ordered the same laptop. Post requesting the bios to be patched with a link to the latest bios revision available on asus' page on his post.

This will work, i have tried it on a GS1n at work after using bios he modded for me. As for the 9500m , you need to install nvinstaller and there is a patch to fix the white menus issue, search for 9500m in the search parameter ..... under partial work, this should be solved easier when 10.5.3 is out with the latest graphics cards kexts.

Good luck

Kabyl was awesome enough to mod the bios for me/us. Here is the link :

http://rapidshare.com/files/107634409/M50S...AS_mod.zip.html

You need to flash you bios with them on a floppy (or external usb floppy). Neither Kabyl or I are responsible for any issues that may occur with a bad flash. But i will remind you that i did use one he made for me before and it worked like a charm.

I use kalyway , works the easiest, not only that but there is a version 10.5.2 with tons of different kernal packages and kexts. Search "the bay" .

Also easiest way for dual boot if on the same disk, shrink the partition down (i usually use acronis for this). Then use diskpart to create a new partition using the af command to make it hsf compatible, there are tutorials, but i dont know where the one i used is. once its created set the new partition active. Reboot into the install dvd, select the partition you made in disk utility, erase it (while setting it to format it as journaled (mac os) and make sure its set for MBR not GUID. When installing the os when you click custom to select options, pick mbr not guid for the darwin boot loader. You should be all good from there. Once its fully installed, you need to set the other partition active from terminal, or from acronis if you want it easier, you will need to boot vista startup repair (seeing as the boot files for vista have been changed, you will need the vista disc for this. After it repairs and vista starts up, run the DISKPART utility again and set the mac os partition active again. Now you have a fully functioning dual boot system which lets you choose on startup.

The other easier option is installing on a different drive. When i tested it on a computer at work i installed it on an external usb 2.0 drive. Then just use the boot select option from your bios to pick the usb drive at startup. Any questions feel free to ask.

Thank you, my notebook now starts the installer correctly.

P.S. The 208 revision of the bios (03/28/08) is available. You can download it here: http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/M50Sv/M50SV208AS.zip Can you fix it? Or place here an instruction, how to fix it.

P.S.2. For 208 users: winflash does not allow flash using the earler bios version, so we may flash directly from the bios (F4).

How to enable Marvel Yukon 88E8055 Ethernet here?

Do I need correect IOPCIPrimaryMatch and IOPCISecondaryMatch values in

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily/Plugins/AppleYukon2 ?

Which of values should I use?

Also know anyone a solution to enable screen Brightness control and enable WiFi (if possible)?

P.S. The 208 revision of the bios (03/28/08) is available. You can download it here: http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/M50Sv/M50SV208AS.zip Can you fix it? Or place here an instruction, how to fix it.

P.S.2. For 208 users: winflash does not allow flash using the earler bios version, so we may flash directly from the bios (F4).

do you use asus m50Sv too? is the BIOS update works for MAC installation?

• 1 month later...

i just bought asus m50sv with nvidia geforce 9500 512mb, i tried to install the tiger/leopard.

thanx to Kabyl, the bios now is working with macos installer without cpus=2 option.

ok now here's the problem, seems that the geforce 9500 gs has no appropriate driver. I tried the NVinject installerv 4.1, after reboot, the resolution can be set to 1440x900 but all the macintosh menu at the top bar are blank. in the system profiler, the core image :hardware accelerated, quartz extreme : supported.

Then i tried another driver: nvinject/nvinject go v.0.2.1, i got the proper menu now, but in the system profiler , the quartz extreme has been disabled. i tried swith to other drivers, but still no lucks.

is anyone succeded with this asus m50sv geforce 9500 gs 512mb?

also how to fix the wifi?

btw anyone know any mac software/driver that can boost the audio performance (currently i'm using azalia driver) , something that i can use to tweak the bass, coz the audio /speaker is 'thin' , it's not like what it's named. Well it's altec , but speaker is bad for me. Anyway the quality is still better than using vista (audio is worst).

thanx

• 4 weeks later...

Woop, I'm hopping in. I have an M50Sv as well and I'm trying to install OS X on it.

I posted a thread about the DVD not booting, but it seems that a bootloader parameter will fix that. I'll try it out once I get home.

I'll keep you guys updated, and any help would be appreciated, especially for the video driver.

I hear the 9500M GS is essentially a die-shrunk 8600M GT, so perhaps we can use the same driver as that?

• 3 weeks later...

This reply is specifically for the ASUS M50SV-A1 with bios version 207.

I have tried jas 10.48 using -v and cpus=1. This does get you to the install screen and I was able to install the OS. But when the computer rebooted would not launch the OS and OSX bootup just stopped (hung).

jas 10.52, iATKOS, and Kalyway all preform the same way. It hangs before the installer comes up. Using all the combinations of -v -x cpus=1.

So I offer my limited success with the jas 10.48 install. If you could just get the OS configured the way the installer worked with cpus=1 it might just work with an un-modded bios.

I noticed the 208 bios release only here on the forum. So how come it is not released "officially" by ASUS yet? Does this mean someone on the inside of ASUS is posting an experimental pre-release just for this forum? I think this would be a smart thing for ASUS to do. It would only increase sales.

Has anyone tried the ASUS M50SV 208 bios release yet? Does it work?

What about the modded 207 kalyway? Does it work? I keep searching and searching for the post that says "yes I tried the kalyway 207 modded bios for the ASUS M50SV and it worked!".

That's odd, now the 208 bios link is dead.

I wonder why? :turbin:

I am going to speculate that one of the members of this board actually works at ASUS. Now that they see my post, they feel exposed, like the criminals at the end of a Scooby Doo epsidoe. "And I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for those medling kids..."

Well, I'm a kid, my parents just bought me an ASUS M50SV and I want to put OSX on it. Vista Sucks!

As you can see I have nothing better to do than type, I don't have OSX installed.

Would it be possible to use Vista without any problem with the modified BIOS?

Hi guys and happy users of ASUS M50SV!

Take a look here: ASUS M50SV GUIDE

I will keep it updated.

That's odd, now the 208 bios link is dead.

I wonder why?

Dunno why they remove the link, maybe that bios update is broken or have some bugs... I tried to get it too dunno if it have something in plus or minus...

BTW Bios is moded by master Kabyl!

That is a nice guide but it runs a little light on the how tos.

First thing you MUST do is to change the bios with one modded by master Kabyl

That statement alone needs a guide. Because we all know that the winflash that comes with the M50SV under Vista will not flash the Kabyl modded bios.

Someone mentions a F4 bios on boot option, but I don't know how to make it work.

I have a USB card reader and I have placed data on that card, but I can not figure out howe to make my card reader boot into DOS so I can run the DOS based bios updater.

If anyone knows how, please post here?

Dragon, that information is available somewhere in this forum, I've red it once, and it's a complete guide, use the search box.

And about the 208 Bios update, it was intentionally to fix the shutdown problem that m50sv experienced with Vista (the problem is, long shutdown time after updating vista). And I wonder why is gone? Because i find that update didn't solve the shutdown problem, I still experiencing the problem here.

• 2 weeks later...

Dragon u need to get to BIOS by pressing F2 on the boot screen , then run EZFlash from there. Connect your USB drive before you enter BIOS. I got everything working except wifi and some other non important stuff . PM me if u need help.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I thought I'd update everyone on the current state of my Asus M50SV.

I have tried iDeneb 1.1 (fails to come up after install).

I have tried iDeneb 1.3 (fails to come up after install).

I tried iATKOS5i (I got a desktop with sound, not ethernet or wireless. Also, no Quartz Extreme or Open GL).

One thing I noticed was different between the iDeneb DVD and the iATKos5i DVD was that the iDeneb had additional tools in the applications section.

So I installed iDeneb 1.3 over a freshly erased disk partition. (I used the disk utitlity provided in the installer). This, of course produced a useless computer.

Then I installed iATKos5i overtop the iDeneb and did not erase the disk.

I chose:

Video:

Natit Display Driver

Remove NVDAResman (needed to make 9500's work.)

ACPI:

x86 ACPI

SMBIOS Enabler:

EFI Air

SMBIOS Resolver

SMBIOS Enabler (If you don't use enabler, you can't use EFI strings)

This gave me a working desktop at 1024x786.

At this time, I looked in the applications folder and there were the tools from the iDeneb 1.3 failed install.

Yeah!

I used the x86 tools to enable quartz extreme. After a reboot I was in no better shape. I still did not have opengl.

I used a kext installer to install the 9500 kext files I had downloaded. This is the confusing part, for me. I did not know what to select. Nothing really said 9500. So I chose only NVinject.kext and I noticed NVDAResman.kext and remembered that the installer tool tip said this was required for 9500 cards. There are other kext files like NVDANV10Hal.kext, NVDANV20Hal.kext etc... Do I need these?

After reboot, I got a totally black sceen with just the mouse pointer. This was at the native resolution of 1400x900, however.

I rebooted and interupted the boot sequence so I could force safe mode with the -x parameter. This got me my desktop back.

I used the EFI Strings tool in the iDeneb applications folder and selected 8600GT 512, which is close (chip wise G84) to the 9500M. After reboot I got my desktop back at 1400x900. I still have Quartz Extreme, but no OpenGL.

So I am still stuck. Without OpenGL a Mac is useless (as far as I can tell). Most applications won't launch. Like iWorks, Adobe, etc..

What can I do, can anyone help?