8600GT 256 mb

Snoop filter enabled.

SW:

Kalyway 10.5.1

efi boot

10.5.2 Combo update, including the system.kext that comes with it

NVinject 0.2.1

Leopard Graphics Update

Time Machine and Airport update (provides my current kernel)

It thinks I have 8 GB RAM.

I don't know if you've seen me whining here (+ other places) before. Though I have been.

The graphics lag. I don't mean the 3 minute wait at boot. I mean an intermittent frame rate drop in the graphics.

It gets worse with CPU utilization, and worse with lots of memory usage. However it doesn't need either for it to lag.

While its hardly tolerable at all, the only showstopper here is the 3d graphics in parallels. They freeze every few seconds...for a few seconds. Totally unusable. Makes me want to ditch OSX86 for windows. But now its story time!

So this system is a replacement for an older one. It had a QX6700, 2.6 ghz. 4 cores. It was insufficiently fast. (I do a lot of 3d rendering) So I upgrade/trade to this new system. 8 cores, but each one is only 2 ghz. The graphics are laggy. Can't find a fix. So I tried things.

NVinjects, nvinstaller, Natit, Titan, 10.5.2 drivers

Various kexts like applesmbios and appleacpiplatform

various kernels.

efi and non efi

mbr and guid

idlehalt=0 .. no change

cpus=1 .. 1/8 processing power. HORRIBLE

snoop filter on/off - no difference

New graphics card! The 8600GT is an upgrade from 7300GT. No help!

Beamsync. Small but positive difference.

Turned off leopard glass dock. Much better dock performance, but still all around system lagginess.

which brings me to begging for help and mercy

i made a little video demonstrating the lag at its worse. To do this i fully loaded it with large applications open, parallels, 2d rendering, motion graphics rendering, 3d rendering. all at the same time. clearly this is a worst-case scenario and the effect on performance is a bit worse than usual. however even after the little stress test the graphics framerate is dropping.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=341BJD09

it's recorded at 40 fps, but i watched it and you can still see the lag in all its glory. the delayed mouse cursor is a result of screen recording.

Only thing i can think of: 2ghz system speed is too slow for all around good performance. Even if it has 8 cores.

If you had lag, would you live?

I know i can't.

any help?

What kind of other options for video drivers are possible?... besides various enablers, like nvinject and natit.

its an 8600gt

and i can't take much more of this stuttery lag. something's not right with it

What kind of other options for video drivers are possible?... besides various enablers, like nvinject and natit.

its an 8600gt

and i can't take much more of this stuttery lag. something's not right with it

Install NVidiaEFI with kext helper.

Then install this package. (after reboot) This should stop the 3 minute wait.

HW:

8600GT 256 mb

The graphics lag. I don't mean the 3 minute wait at boot. I mean an intermittent frame rate drop in the graphics.

any help?

Try to get an officially supported video card. As all 3D operations are managed (mostly) by GPU, getting a supported card may help. Or get a high end video card -- if you are doing that much 3D ops, maybe an 8800GTX or a real workstation graphics card (ie, Quadro or FireGL) can "fix" this.

I installed nvidiaefi, no change. Aren't you supposed to remove nvinject first? Well i just did. Now after loading it just sits at a black screen. Not for 3 or so minutes, but as long as you are willing to wait. 15+ and it still hadn't gone. Im going to put nvinject back.

What exactly makes a card officially supported on osx86?

• 2 weeks later...

dude that really works! My DVI cable was plugged to the 2nd port. Now I plug back to the first port I notice my it do ran smoother and way faster! THX nikonut! But why is this happen? It is a driver issue?

I notice my screen stay blue if i plug back to the second port.

• 7 months later...

kilven have u fixed your problem?

let's try to help each other here

i need to ask u, when u boot the system, it is fast?

i also work with 3D programs a lot and if i extremely push it it becomes laggy with no reason

after this it needs a restart or logout for full frame rate animations

even if i close all apps and i gain some ram, it will stay laggy until reboot/logout

i saw your video , i know what u mean

if i had the same apps running a lot of time like u i would be the same

the last project 90'' edit i did in final cut made me a headache

so now back to XP and edit with premiere ;)

everyday i boot less in osx because of this and the problem is that it is not clear

it needs full load and a lot of testing to start lagging

i start to blv it is about the ram or the gfx or whateeeever

for me it boots extremely fast (10'') on a velociraptor disk

tests are normal and higher for my specs

i tried different bios settings, i tried no oc (i'm oc to 3ghz)

i bought 150GB veloci just for osx and i had plans to make it raid, it is fast

there is no time, it's not fun anymore cause i have projects running and i need fast system not a playground

it;s like some times i think to buy a real mac but maybe the lag happens also on real macs?

recently i installed osx in a crappy laptop of a friend and man it was more stable (frame rate/UI animation) than the quad core 4Gb ram/ 8800GT

i mean..it boot medium perfomance and after a lot of push it was still medium perfomance

here we talk about i boot and everything is smoothy,but after hard job leopard slows down