Dell Latitude D600 After Kalyway Install Steps?

Frank_t

20 posts in this topic

Hi all i have a Dell Latitude D600 and followed these steps from the online wiki

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...es#Latitude_600

But when i get to starting Leopard for the first time i get a gray screen which is expected since i'm expected to delete something via the terminal...now i know how to load the single user mode at startup but i have no idea what commands i need to delete the following in terminal.

After install, there will be a kernel panic. To fix:

Boot into -s mode

Run terminal

Delete the AppleBCM575x.kext file from your hard drive at: System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleBCM575x.kext

Reboot & Enjoy

Can someone explain to a dumbass (that would be me) what i need to type to delete this file?

Thanks everyone!

rm /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleBCM575x.kext

or

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleBCM575x.kext

Thank you mattiL for your help only issue is the file doesn't exist! ;)

I'm reinstalling now with out any graphics drivers to see if that works since it looks like it locks up trying to load aqua interface....all i get now is the gray screen with the spinning thing but as soon as it tries to load the blue background i get a kernal panic...

• 2 weeks later...

just boot from CD, open Terminal to remove the file.

it`s works for me. :(

Thank you mattiL for your help only issue is the file doesn't exist! :rolleyes:

I'm reinstalling now with out any graphics drivers to see if that works since it looks like it locks up trying to load aqua interface....all i get now is the gray screen with the spinning thing but as soon as it tries to load the blue background i get a kernal panic...

Hi, I have a dell D600 too, install worked perfectly, and I finally got my partition to boot, now if I only could get rid of this kernel panic :)

Tried to remove the BCM575x entry like stated above, don't know whether I was really able to do it but I didn't get any error using the rm -rf /system/..../AppleBCM575x.kext, so I'm assuming it worked...

Anyway, I still get the same kernel panic so it didn't do the trick, in verbose mode it shows something like:

mDNSresponder mDNSresponder -164 : starting panic

errorcode 0x00000000

debugger called (panic)

backtrace... (not going to quote the whole process)

BSD processname corresponding to current thread: configd

MAC OS version:

9B18

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel version 9.1.0: Sat Nov... /Release_I386

This is as close as I ever got installing osx on my laptop, so I hope someone can help me through...

in fact its not AppleBCM575x.kext in your hardisk but AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext that you should remove.please check..

Hi, I have a dell D600 too, install worked perfectly, and I finally got my partition to boot, now if I only could get rid of this kernel panic :wallbash: Tried to remove the BCM575x entry like stated above, don't know whether I was really able to do it but I didn't get any error using the rm -rf /system/..../AppleBCM575x.kext, so I'm assuming it worked...Anyway, I still get the same kernel panic so it didn't do the trick, in verbose mode it shows something like:mDNSresponder mDNSresponder -164 : starting panicerrorcode 0x00000000debugger called (panic)backtrace... (not going to quote the whole process)BSD processname corresponding to current thread: configdMAC OS version:9B18Kernel version:Darwin Kernel version 9.1.0: Sat Nov... /Release_I386This is as close as I ever got installing osx on my laptop, so I hope someone can help me through...
yup... boenil maybe right. try to reburn the disc.
I have a Dell D600 and I just got a copy of Kalyway 10.5.1. W hen I start the install I get this error com.apple.boot.plist not found. How did you get around this?Thanks,timgerr

I think you need an R in that delete command. I had to ask around about that too, maybe someone should update the wiki. I'm having a problem with my D600 and usb. For some reason the system crashes when I plug usb drives, etc., into it. It doesn't happen everytime, but even happens when I plug my powered usb hub into it. Anybody get the same thing?

Thanks halfudo, I was able to delete the BCM5751Ethernet.kext entry, and the system now "boots", but I'm afraid I ran into another problem :D I get passed the apple-bootscreen to the gray screen with the cursor, but not any further than that. Booted into verbose and -s mode and apparently it has something to do with mDNSresponder:

localhost DNSresponder: couldn't read user-specified local hostname; using default bMacintosh 00904B79BC6 instead... (followed by a few lines of similar errors, says that it can't connect to network) and KEEPS trying! Always the same DNSresponder-error, over and over again...

hope someone can help me trough this again, I have a feeling I'm getting REALLY close to a successful boot :)

yup... reinstall and delete the right file.

maybe wrong file deleted before.

Try again. It should work as described. I had to reinstall after failed attempts at deleting that file.

I can verify that this fix DOES work. My D600 not only fired up, but found my wireless network and was surfing when I was done. I was shocked :P

I had previously had difficulty with the dreaded "plist not found" problem on boot. Downloaded the Kalyway make HD bootable .iso (Google is your friend) and ran that first. I partitioned whole disk as MBR, then formatted the partition with extended journaled. When customizing the install, I chose the sse2 fix...and efi_mbr. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE!! Once the install was completed, of course I got the kernel panic....but after booting into single-user mode (-s at boot-up and follow the instructions when it gets to a prompt) and deleting the .kext mentioned here, I was feelin' the love.

Good luck...

Great! Just great! Works like a CHARM! Thank you all!

Never thought it would run this quick....

One more question though :( how do I type the "at" symbol? (as in "at"hotmail.com). Apparently Alt-gr doesn't work so I was wondering if there's another keybinding...

• 3 weeks later...

AH! can someone help me? i installed ONLY selecting the SSE2 and the stupid thing just reboots even after deleting that file. I dont see that efi thing in the checklist. I am using Kalyway 10.5.2. Can someone layout the exact steps for the D600? i followed them from http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...es#Latitude_600

and that just made it constantly reboot.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...