Blank / invisible menus with GeForce 7600GS and Zephyroth 10.5.2

daveyz

17 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'm a bit of a noob but I've had a good search around and I can't find anybody experiencing the same problem as me with an Nvidia card.

I'm running Zephyroth 10.5.2 (1st version) on my PC and everything is working (QE etc) apart from my menus. They're all blank!

When I click on a menu item at the top of the screen, the shape of the menu drops down as either a slightly darker transparent block or a black block - but there's no menu items.

If you then click to close the menu item you get a brief glimpse of the menu items before the menu closes.

I'm stumped. A few people reported this problem on ATI cards but that was solved by a driver update. Doesn't really help me.

If anybody has seen / solved this problem or if you have any ideas please could you let me know?

Many thanks,

Dave

My system hardware is as follows:

XFX GeForce 7600GS 256Mb AGP (02E110DE) Graphics

Abit Rocketboy AV8 Motherboard

Realtek 8169 Gigabit Network card

AMD 64 X2 4600 Socket 939 CPU

2Gb Dual channel Memory

80Gb Maxtor SATA Hard disk

Installation details as follows:

Zephyroth 10.5.2 (1st edition)

Extra options - TOH 9.2.0 kernel, AC97 drivers, VIA drivers, MBR Bootloader

The Nvidia drivers on the DVD didn;t work for me - I'm using agp7600gs.zip provided by Krule here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=80733 together with GeForceFXGLDriver.bundle, GeForceVADriver.bundle and GeForceGA.plugin

Though i´m running 10.5.2 on a C2D i had the exact same problem with my 7600GT. The clue was to install the Graphics Update, which killed my ATI in another rig .... now everythings just fine ;)

Thanks for this Goron.

Which graphics update did you run please?

I've tried installing the latest 10.5.2 kexts but then the machine will not boot up and I have to go in as single user and delete them.

Thanks,

Dave

Thanks Aprodigy,

I don't think I am using natit at the moment. I definately have at some point but I don't think i had much joy with it.

I've put the 0x02E110DE string in the kexts. Is that what you mean?

Thanks

D

Graphics update is on Zephs DVD if you don't want to re-install your whole system extract it with pacifist and install

The problem you have is that you can't use latest kernel without graphics update.

You either need new kernel and update or old kernel no update.

You can get all you need from Zephs disk just use Pacifist

Thanks aprodigy and lanxxx for your replies!

aprodigy, I think I need to do some reading up on EFI! Looks a bit complicated first glance!

lanxxx, is the graphics update you are talking about the one that you have the option of installing on installation? I tried installing NVinject and the other bit for 256Mb cards from there and it didn't seem to work - I just got the screen telling me to reset my computer.

Many thanks

Hi all,

My menus are working! I can see them at last! :D

Thanks to everybody for their input.

I applied the update as Goron suggested, tweaked the files that needed tweaking, installed NVinject and hey presto!

Only thing I have noticed is that it says PCI against Bus in System profiler. Is this a performance affecting thing (only running at 33MHz) or just the wrong info being displayed please? Certainly seems fast enough.

So once again thank you all for helping me!

Thanks

Daveyz

Hello, I'm having the same problem with the menus but I don't know which files to patch from Leopard Graphics Update, can you give me a hint or a link to find the files I need to patch manually? (I'm using an AMD computer and a 7600GS PCI Express card)

Thanks

Seba

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...