Free speech has consequences

57 posts in this topic

OK...

Libertarianism=Fascism? There's going to be trouble if you're {censored} in front of me? {censored}'s shouldn't recruit people? Are you kidding me? Honestly, I stopped reading this thread after those comments. I am sure it's just brimming with other "enlightened" gems. It's true what they say, those who don't know their history are doomed to repeat it. We've always been fearful hate-mongers... humanity, I mean. The United States is a work in progress... always has been and, God willing, always will be.

Too many "less informed" Americans think their Constitution was designed specifically to safeguard the rights of the majority. That's just plain silly. England already had that. Our forefathers wanted something better. The Constitution is intended to safeguard the rights of THE INDIVIDUAL or, if you wish, the minority. To safeguard our own rights we must safeguard the rights of others... even those belonging to people we don't necessarily agree with... especially those belonging to people we don't agree with... in so much as their rights do not infringe on our own. That's how freedom works.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." ~ The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen United States of America (The Declaration of Independence)

{censored}, Straight, Bisexual... black, brown, white... man or woman... Christian, Jew, Muslim, Atheist... what ever label that might be used on you, it really doesn't matter. We can all be equal under the law with the same rights, privileges, and RESPONSIBILITIES in this pursuit of life, liberty and happiness. We should all have the right to marry who we love. We should all have the privilege to express that love openly. We should all take the responsibility to do those things in an appropriate manner with a certain level of proper public decorum.

Because society might be struggling to come to terms with the new social reality of pluralism, it doesn't mean we need throw the baby out with the bath water. There is no doubt in my mind that some of the mistakes being made overshadow the good being done. Still, the over all trend is a positive one. Learning to live in harmony with those who embrace different values, different ideas, and different expectations is exactly on what our success as a race depends.

I'm gratified by the opportunity and privilege to share my values with my boys... teaching them that while they might not understand the lesbians pushing the stroller in the park holding hands and kissing that they are just living life the best they know how and we must do the same. And more importantly, as long as they are safe to live life how they wish, we are too. Diversity is a beautiful thing. It provides us opportunity to reflect on ourselves and the choices we've made... and not necessarily to agree, promote, and most importantly, condone. I believe God reserves that right for Himself. "Judge not, that ye be not judged." ~ Matthew 7:1

"Oh, mankind, God could have made you one if He had willed, but He did not. He made you the separate nations and tribes so that you could know one another, cooperate with one another, and compete with one another in good works." ~ Qur'an 5:48

So to those not with the diversity program yet... we have hope you'll grow up and join us in the 21st century. Life's too short.

I completely Agree!

Feelings of homosexuality MAY be hardwired, but the CHOICE to act on those impulses is just that: A CHOICE... Having a choice implies free will.

Sure, you can choose not to react to that impulse

but, why would one do that, because the bible tells you so?

I am sure, that you as a straight guy, would be very unhappy if you were forbidden to have sex with girls

If two grownups choose to have a sexual relationship, that’s their business

If two grownups fall in love and want to have a relationship, that’s their business

Why make such a big deal out of it?

Sure, you can choose not to react to that impulse

but, why would one do that, because the bible tells you so?

I am sure, that you as a straight guy, would be very unhappy if you were forbidden to have sex with girls

If two grownups choose to have a sexual relationship, that’s their business

If two grownups fall in love and want to have a relationship, that’s their business

Why make such a big deal out of it?

100% agreement here.

Why are these impulses inherently bad?

The APA needs professional help.

You can't have it both ways. Either you reject science or you abide by its conclusions.

There is nothing stopping you from doing studies. If you follow correct methodology there is always the possibility that you will uncover something new for science. If you think there's more work to be done in this area, do the work.

Put up, or shut up. That's science. Since you can't put up now, guess what you can do...

100% agreement here.Why are these impulses inherently bad?

In short: Impulse = instant gratification. Wait and see = possibility of higher gratification later

Look at the finances of someone neck deep in credit debt vs the finances of someone that saves their money and always pays cash for everything. The person in credit debt NEEDS STUFF NOW, while the person that saves and pays cash will have waited for the "next big thing" and not have to pay the "upgrade fee" because they bought the 720p LCD last year, rather than the 1080p LCD available now.

So, I suppose it comes down to discipline. Curb your impulses now and see what good comes in the future, or give in to your impulses now and find out later that you missed something really great.

But, like I acknowledged earlier, that choice belongs to the individual :censored2:

BTW, I haven't had sex in 4 years. I'm not really fussed about it. Gives me free time to devote to my own pursuits:)

In short: Impulse = instant gratification. Wait and see = possibility of higher gratification later

Look at the finances of someone neck deep in credit debt vs the finances of someone that saves their money and always pays cash for everything. The person in credit debt NEEDS STUFF NOW, while the person that saves and pays cash will have waited for the "next big thing" and not have to pay the "upgrade fee" because they bought the 720p LCD last year, rather than the 1080p LCD available now.

With this analogy, are you implying that {censored} people should not engage in {censored} activites, but rather wait and hope that they become straight?

BTW, I haven't had sex in 4 years. I'm not really fussed about it. Gives me free time to devote to my own pursuits:)

You're like Ghandi then! Why are you choosing not to have sex? What other pursuits are worth devoting time to other than that :censored2: ?

Well, I have been having sex, and its good. I have plenty of time to devote to my own pursuits, lately I am building a solar generator, but I still get to have sex with my girlfriend.

I get to have my cake and eat it too. I don't think that makes me impulsive or anything like that, just one who enjoys sex! :D