All things AHCI on ICH9R

ninetto

12 posts in this topic

Hello,

there has been some discussion about getting the "right" (non-orange) HD-icons to show up on ICH9 by using different kexts (AppleAHCIPort and IOAHCIfamily)...

The orange icons did not really bother me, and the speed and stability of the disks on ICH9R was fantastic.

Nevertheless I tried the replacement kexts generously provided by PCWIZ on his long and nice thread regarding Leo Install on Gigabyte boards, as there was the suggestion that this might bring improvement. I believe the kexts originated from the BrazilMac patch.

My experiencewith modded AHCI-kexts: YES, the hard-disk icon show up "normal"... but I lose the VERY useful hot-swap function!

Any external disk (eSATA) not turned on before boot will not mount. Also in the system profiler, with the original kexts the ICHR was recognized correctly. With the modded kexts, I get "GENERIC AHCI" as the device, although the AHCI version is the same "1.20" Any other AHCI kext imporvements out there???

For those who have not yet gone eSATA, it is a MUST! I love it and it is 10x faster than USB and at least twice as fast as Firewire800. But the hot-swap function is really important for me, swapping large files/projects with video editing, so I have returned to the original kexts with orange HD-icons.

I wonder how "real" Macs handle eSata icons? For example, a friend of mine could NEVER get his G5 to hot swap without crashing his system. Sometimes I get the ecstatic impression that the OSx86 crowd gets OSX to do things not even real MAcs can do, yeahhhh!... hot-swap, yeahhhhh !

Has the 10.5.2 update effected this AHCI funstion and/or HD-icons?

regards, ninetto

Hello. Somehow i was able to get only esata as external and not the other hds. But now i can't find how..

As i can remember i was changing something at bios and i plugged the esata cables at the purple sata slots.

I will try it again and if i have any results i will post you how. Thank you very much.

Hello. Somehow i was able to get only esata as external and not the other hds. But now i can't find how..

As i can remember i was changing something at bios and i plugged the esata cables at the purple sata slots.

I will try it again and if i have any results i will post you how. Thank you very much.

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe you set up your JMicron (purple) ports as AHCI and the ICH9 as native/ide?

That is one possibility I hadn't thought of, maybe it is even a good solution.

But I guess my question also deals with the way controllers function on a real Mac... or also why does Hackintosh REALLY seem to like AHCI better than IDE mode? (Boots faster, seems snappier) at least on my machine...

greetinz, n.

Any external disk (eSATA) not turned on before boot will not mount. Also in the system profiler, with the original kexts the ICHR was recognized correctly. With the modded kexts, I get "GENERIC AHCI" as the device, although the AHCI version is the same "1.20" Any other AHCI kext imporvements out there???

For those who have not yet gone eSATA, it is a MUST! I love it and it is 10x faster than USB and at least twice as fast as Firewire800. But the hot-swap function is really important for me, swapping large files/projects with video editing, so I have returned to the original kexts with orange HD-icons.

I too really prefer to see eSATA functionality over proper icons, so I reverted to vanilla sata drivers. First things first: you can still have proper icons. I used Candybar to apply per-volume icons, so my internal drives I just gave the regular internal drive icon. My Time Machine drive (also internal) already had the TM icon, so that was fine. So if anyone is worried about orange icons, this seems like a better solution.

Second, my hot-swap is only semi-working. In my case, I can boot, plug in an eSata and it mounts fine. If I then eject it, it goes away normally. However, I am unable to plug it back into the same eSATA port and get it to mount again. I must use another eSATA port. Once I mount/eject from the second port, I can't mount it from either of my 2 ports. So it seems that ejecting the drive is not releasing the ports, and you must reboot to restore functionality.

Is this contrary to anyone else's experience?

I too really prefer to see eSATA functionality over proper icons, so I reverted to vanilla sata drivers. First things first: you can still have proper icons. I used Candybar to apply per-volume icons, so my internal drives I just gave the regular internal drive icon. My Time Machine drive (also internal) already had the TM icon, so that was fine. So if anyone is worried about orange icons, this seems like a better solution.

Second, my hot-swap is only semi-working. In my case, I can boot, plug in an eSata and it mounts fine. If I then eject it, it goes away normally. However, I am unable to plug it back into the same eSATA port and get it to mount again. I must use another eSATA port. Once I mount/eject from the second port, I can't mount it from either of my 2 ports. So it seems that ejecting the drive is not releasing the ports, and you must reboot to restore functionality.

Is this contrary to anyone else's experience?

THANKs for the Candybar trick to change icons.

Regarding your question about remounting ejected eSata-disks: I do NOT have this problem. I can eject a eSata disk, then turn it off physically, and when on turn it on again it MOUNTS, no problem at all.

I have my eSata ports connected to the JMicron internal ports, maybe that's the trick?

@PANPAN: here are the original kexts, below, if they do not upload properly I'll send you a PM

2_AHCI_kexts.zip

One thing that you might wanna try: plug in the drive, open Disk Utility (in the utilities folder), select the drive in the left column and then hit the "mount" button. That's what I sometimes do when I unmounted/ejected a drive and I forgot something and don't want to switch the drive off and on again just to have it mount again.

Maybe this helps.

cheers,

jibe

• 1 month later...

The kexts you linked to...are they the original kexts that will cause the AHCI to show as external, or are they the modded one to change from orange to internal? I have applied the modded ones, and I want my eStata back, but I don't know what to do to revert ;)

...Mike

The kexts you linked to...are they the original kexts that will cause the AHCI to show as external, or are they the modded one to change from orange to internal? I have applied the modded ones, and I want my eStata back, but I don't know what to do to revert :(

...Mike

The kexts posted (above) are UNmodded. The icons are yellow and ejecting/mounting eSata-disks works perfectly for me.

regards,

ninetto

For some reason, after I install these kexts there is no difference. esata still doesn't work, and no yellow icons :D I guess I'll try again.

ETA: the second time worked. Sadly, eSata still doesn't work right. :P

...Mike

ETA: the second time worked. Sadly, eSata still doesn't work right. :censored2:

...Mike

I assume you have AHCI active in the Bios... and ... Which ports are your eSata cables attached to? As I mentioned, my eSata cables are connected to the JMicron ports, all is fine. Maybe that is worth a try?

good luck,

ninetto