A strange question here..?

crwn

8 posts in this topic

Hi all,

From a sheltered position (!), I ask very carefully (this being a special case due to something unfortunate) if a vers. of XxX OSX86 recently posted as

Apple.Mac.OS.X.Tiger.v10.4.11.OSx86

can be clean installed on a PPC G4 iBook ? And function on it like just the plain OS X ..?

As mentioned, this is a special case or I wouldn't dare ask this..!

Cheers,

Mark

Nope, as a rule patched X86 versions of OSX do not install on real Macs, especially G4's need the PPC enabled version of Tiger. There are original Tiger install DVD's that do not function on a G4 as they are Intel only.

When you order the replacement Tiger install cd's they are PPC/Intel

can be clean installed on a PPC G4 iBook ? And function on it like just the plain OS X ..?

Theoretically you could install OSX86 in a x86 emulator on a PPC Mac, but seeing as I can't even install it under Parallels on a real x86 Mac, I doubt you will even be able to do that.

Many thanks indeed guys!

Have got the message clearly :(

Now, er, is an installable copy of 10.4.9 to 11 gainable through this site for a re-inst (have 10.4.1 but that doesn't go far. The upgrade on the Book before won't be nice & install. That's why I advised my friend to download a later vers. But I've volunteered to do it for time reasons).

I don't think there's anything wrong with asking this but I don't know all the ins & outs with Mac - here's hoping.

Thanks again - much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark

Think I might have discovered the ans.

Theres a 10.4.11 update Combo specially for OSX 10.4 (or under 10.4.4). I think it's recent. [the 10.4.1 woudln't upd past 10.4.4 from memory. Didn't have the time to solve this mystery..]

Sounds like just what the Dr. ordered - will check it soon.

You prob. knnow of this site: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/11...iger_users.html

Cheers.