The iPod Shuffle and Podcasts

aduffbrew

3 posts in this topic

I read online... included Apple's website that I could use a shuffle to listen to podcasts I just wouldn't be able to use iTunes' autofill feature.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300558

I am most interested in this section:

"Adding Audiobooks and podcasts to iPod shuffle

The Autofill feature of iTunes will not add audiobooks and podcasts to iPod shuffle. Instead, you should manually add audiobooks and podcasts to iPod shuffle by dragging them to the iPod shuffle playlist."

Umm... ok. Sounds simple enough. I have a "Party Shuffle" playlist. I can drag what ever I want to that or any other play list but it still won't sync.

I know some of you are just rolling your eyes thinking someone THIS stupid shouldn't have an iPod. I am addicted to my iPod nano and picked up a shuffle for a co-worker as a birthday gift thinking it would be pretty much the same just without the display. I'm finding out it's not. Would any of you be so kind to give me the step-by-step on this?

Thanks,

Dave

No info, eh?

Well, if anyone is interested, Apple's website is only partially correct. Postcasts downloaded through iTunes U work fine, those that are subscription based through iTunes don't work. I know... really weird. They are tagged or something. The local genius bar advised upgrading to a nano. Apple cripples autofill on the shuttle to force an upgrade. Nice. The only difference between Apple and Microsoft these days is Apple does it with style. The Nazis had good fashion sense too and look what that got us.

And yes, I'm heading downtown this very minute to the local Apple Store and upgrade! *laugh*

• 2 weeks later...
Postcasts downloaded through iTunes U work fine, those that are subscription based through iTunes don't work. I know... really weird.

It's because iTunes U stuff is treated as normal "music," while podcasting has its own section.

I have an iPod shuffle and a smart playlist called "New Podcasts that automatically finds all un-listenned-to podcasts. Then, I make sure I've deleted all podcasts already on the shuffle and simply drag this playlist over.

post-6603-1206663323_thumb.png