Core 2 Q6600 G0 Stepping Problems, anyone got it to work?

meecrob87

17 posts in this topic

Ok, I recently bought The 2.4GHz Core 2 Q6600 G0 stepping, and i've been having a ton of problems with it. I am running 10.5.2.

-First off it is recognized as a 2.4GHz unknown in about this mac.

-Second i keep getting random kernel panics with it, all the time. I tried to turn off speedstep, and tried using the 9.2.0 speedstep kernel but it still panics all the time either way. I am normally using the official kernel, but that is always crashing too.

If any one has this processor running stable i would appreciate any help. Also if anyone has an AppleSMBIOS.kext that recognizes the G0 stepping correctly, please send it to me or tell me where to get it from.

Thanks in advance.

Ok, I recently bought The 2.4GHz Core 2 Q6600 G0 stepping, and i've been having a ton of problems with it. I am running 10.5.2.

-First off it is recognized as a 2.4GHz unknown in about this mac.

Post #7 shows you how to change that in the URL below.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...c=86490&hl=

If you want to change how it is displayed in the System Profiler as well then try this URL.

http://www.s155158671.websitehome.co.uk/sy...profilermo.html

-Second i keep getting random kernel panics with it, all the time. I tried to turn off speedstep, and tried using the 9.2.0 speedstep kernel but it still panics all the time either way. I am normally using the official kernel, but that is always crashing too.

If any one has this processor running stable i would appreciate any help. Also if anyone has an AppleSMBIOS.kext that recognizes the G0 stepping correctly, please send it to me or tell me where to get it from.

Thanks in advance.

For this I see you have said the IDE works in your sig if you have any IDE devices connected in your machine then pull the power connector to them and see how that goes. I use a Q6600 G0 in my machine it works well and if not wanting to use the edit the stings method in the second link I provide then you can try the -27 version .kext in the link below.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88087

Thanks for the quick reply, i changed the about this mac, thanks for that too. But what did you do so that you don't get kernel panics, I don't think its anything with the IDE because everything was running without panicking when i had a Pentium D in this box (I had to use the kernel flag -legacy, but my trick no longer works with the Q6600). I'm convinced its the processor, can you tell me if you changed anything in the BIOS, and which kexts you replaced? Does your system kernel panic too or is it just me?

Thanks for the quick reply, i changed the about this mac, thanks for that too. But what did you do so that you don't get kernel panics, I don't think its anything with the IDE because everything was running without panicking when i had a Pentium D in this box (I had to use the kernel flag -legacy, but my trick no longer works with the Q6600). I'm convinced its the processor, can you tell me if you changed anything in the BIOS, and which kexts you replaced? Does your system kernel panic too or is it just me?

Well I can get a kernel panic any time I want by simply connecting the power cable to an IDE device and putting the system under load the Jmicron IDE .kext is junk in OSX the SATA works perfectly fine on my spare machine though go figure eh. For BIOS settings I have the No Execute protect turned on, the HPET controller enabled set to 64bit mode, Speedstep disabled as it screws up my over clocking, have the C1E enabled to get the reduced frequency/voltage to lower the temperature, the TM2 enabled plus my normal over clocking settings enabled in the M.I.T.

MacUser2525$ ls -l /Retail_Install_Folder/vanilla_ext/removed/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  3 MacUser2525  staff  102  8 Feb 01:18 AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 MacUser2525  staff  102  8 Feb 01:18 AppleThermal.kext

MacUser2525$ ls -l /Retail_Install_Folder/vanilla_ext/replaced/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  3 MacUser2525  staff  102  8 Feb 01:18 AppleACPIPlatform.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 MacUser2525  staff  102  8 Feb 01:18 AppleAHCIPort.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 MacUser2525  staff  102  8 Feb 01:18 AppleEFIRuntime.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 MacUser2525  staff  102  8 Feb 01:18 AppleHDA.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 MacUser2525  staff  102  8 Feb 23:29 AppleLPC.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 MacUser2525  staff  102  8 Feb 01:18 AppleSMBIOS.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 MacUser2525  staff  102  8 Feb 01:18 IOAHCIFamily.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 MacUser2525  staff  102  8 Feb 01:18 IOATAFamily.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 MacUser2525  staff  102  8 Feb 01:18 IONetworkingFamily.kext

Above is the list I removed/replaced. Now it could be the new processor as you say have you tested it in another OS to make sure it is stable? You know running something like Prime95 25.5 or better in windows or CPUBurn in GNU/Linux for a few hours this would narrow the problem for certain to OSX if it is stable in one of them. Plus it may be an idea to check if there is new BIOS available for install if the problems persist in all OS's tried.

I dont think that my CPU is broken, i think that it is just not working with the OS properly and that is giving me panics, its probebly an extension or the kernel or something like that.

My BIOS is always up to date, i make sure of that, however my settings are a little different from yours - I changed them now so we'll see what happens.

May i ask where you got your modified extensions so that i may make my system as close to yours as possible and limit the possible cause of my problems, or if it isn't too much trouble if you could send them to me

Thanks again!

I dont think that my CPU is broken, i think that it is just not working with the OS properly and that is giving me panics, its probebly an extension or the kernel or something like that.

Well there are plenty of people here running the Quads without problems on various different boards too so it is something you may want to confirm it can't hurt if it is happening in two or more OS's it has pretty much got to be the chip/chip+board combination doing it.

My BIOS is always up to date, i make sure of that, however my settings are a little different from yours - I changed them now so we'll see what happens.

Hopefuly the changes work.

May i ask where you got your modified extensions so that i may make my system as close to yours as possible and limit the possible cause of my problems, or if it isn't too much trouble if you could send them to me, hashimi87(at)gmail.com if you are able to send them.

Thanks again!

Sure I installed using my retail disk I bought for this purpose so I started following this guide using the Audio and Archives_2 files in this thread.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...c=86167&hl=

I never needed the net card driver as mine works out of the box (Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L revision 2.0 motherboard) and Time Machine worked with the IONetworking included in the Archives_2. for the audio I used the attached to this post ICH9.zip .kext along with alc888.txt files the .txt needs the HDA Patcher inside the Audio I mention above to install it.

Then at the URL below I got the AppleAHCIPort.kext.zip, AppleLPC.kex.zip and AppleVIAATA.kext.universal.ICH9_spec_ids.zip this makes your ICH9 controler show up properly named in System Profiler instead of ICH9 Generic if I recall correctly.

http://my.ukrweb.info/ich9-universal-driver-ahci-generic-lpc

Now to get rid of the Hackintosh and such in the Hardware Overview part of System Porfiler I used the AppleSMBIOS-27-MP.zip from the below the MacPro one is the link to download.

http://my.macdotnub.info/content/view/19/26/

While getting this together I noticed that the AppleEFIRuntime.kext I list in my post above as replaced is actually one that I removed so I put in the wrong directory when I moved it out of the way other than that these are the files I used to replace the original Apple ones I removed/replaced.

alc888.txt

HDA_ICH9_ALC888.zip

well i may have finally solved it, i think that you were right it seems to be the Chipset+Processor Combo. I did find a kernel made for nforce chipsets of all things, darwin version 9.1.0, that seems to be running stable, 7Hr so far with no problems ill report back later.

Thank you for all your help MacUser2525, I really appreciate all the time and effort you put into helping me out.

Hi meecrob87,

I just bought the same processor q6600 G0 stepping, and get the exact same random kernel panics as you.

Can you tell me where to find the kernel that solve the problem please?

My Mobo is a ga-p35-ds3p ver2.0 with F10 bios. The kernel panics appears either with the CPU OverClocked or not (Kalyway 10.5.2).

I have the same processor (Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping) on a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P Rev. 2.0 BIOS F6 with no problems. My install configuration

Kalyway 10.5.1 Leo Install + Kalyway 10.5.2 Combo Update + Kalyway kernels package + Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 + netkas 9.2.0 SpeedStep kernel + macdotnub AppleSMBIOS-27 Default

Works fine for me, have never had a single kernel panic. And I'm using the stock cooler too.

I tried your pcwiz package for ds3 mobo, with selecting, the good stuff as you said, and was happy for couple of hours without kernel panics and blam again one.

It happened when I clicked on a IDE drive. I think I'll give you a complete detail of what I did.

My setup is now like that:

Kalyway (on GUID drive) updated to 10.5.2 with Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 + netkas 9.2.0 SpeedStep kernel + macdotnub AppleSMBIOS-27 Default

I saw in other post that removing AppleACPIThermal.kext and AppleCPUThermo.kext could help, so i did it.

Hardware is:

- Quad Q6600 @2.4Ghz (no OC, and still having KP)

- GA-P35-DS3P Rev.2 Mobo with F10 bios

- Noctua NH-U12 Fan

- 2x2 PC6400 DDR2 RAM (forgot the name of supplier, but shouldn't be the pb since under vista I do not get BSOD)

- 2 Western Digital 500GB drives on the two first yellow SATA plugs.

- 1 Wester Digital 250 GB drive on the IDE plug (Vista running on this one)

- 1 SATA DVDR Samsung drive on the third yellow SATA plug

- Tower is an Antec Sonata III with 500W power supply

- CG is a TwinTek 8800 GT 512Mo card, fully working with CI/QE with nvinject 0.2.1

Bios config is like that:

- SATA set to native

- AHCI enable for both SATA and IDE (I tried also with AHCI desabled but still getting kernel panics)

- No Overclocking - Everithing related to OC desabled in the M.I.B section

- No Execute protect turned on

- HPET controller enabled set to 64bit mode

and almost the rest with default values.

It's very very strange, it's like I am one of the few people who get these problems with this configuration. I am little sad for now, as I took these pieces of hardware regarding the successes story of many people using the same hw without any problems.

One other thing strange, CPU temp do not reach more than 60°C full charged when during a VisualHUB video compression, so in my mind temperature should not be the source of my problem. Also under Vista I never had any problems even when the CPU is overclocked (tried with CPU @ 3.24 at 9x360)

So as said MacUser2525 I am for now running Leopard with the IDE drive disconnected, so I will inform you if the problem can come from that, as my last kern panics came when i clicked on my IDE drive. It's one of the few differences I have with your configuration pcwiz.

I'm crossing the fingers now :(

Its a problem with your IDE. Its a wide known issue that it causes a KP on these boards. I probably don't have the problem because all of my devices are SATA :) To get rid of it, replace the IDE devices you have with SATA ones or take your IDE devices and put them in a USB or FireWire enclosure.

Yep, i think it was that like you said.

2 hours now without a kernel parnic without IDE plugged. So I'll continue to test my configuration for the day, and if it's stable before I go to sleep, I'll get a new SATA drive to install my Windows Vista.

Thank you very much pcwiz for the support. :hysterical:

No problem :) Like I said, you can take your spare IDE devices and put them in external USB or FW enclosures and use them for storage, backup, recovery, whatever. Infact, I'm running my entire full 10.5.2 Leo install from an external USB 2.0 250GB drive :)

Ok, everything is working nicely now without IDE drive, i could'nt wait so I tested to OC the CPU again in Leopard.

Just tried for now 3Ghz, and no Kernel Panic at all. Did like that a VisualHub encoding video to stress the CPU, and it went just 2°C more than when it was at 2.4Ghz stock frequency. In idle it is no going more than 45°C. Very happy.

By the way, I have an AppleTV. And just saw that bonjour/afp/appletv connection doesnt work with the LAN driver of your package. I tried the Realtek1000 kext as some people told it resolved their problem, but I had 2 issues.

1rst got a kernel panic at boot with it.

2sd I removed the AppleRTL8*** kext into /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkFamily but after booting, Leopard told me it could'nt load the Realtek1000 kext.

Maybe you have an idea. I'm so close to the perfect setup now. I love that. Much much cheaper than buying a Macpro or iMac.

Cheers.

Ok, everything is working nicely now without IDE drive, i could'nt wait so I tested to OC the CPU again in Leopard.

Just tried for now 3Ghz, and no Kernel Panic at all. Did like that a VisualHub encoding video to stress the CPU, and it went just 2°C more than when it was at 2.4Ghz stock frequency. In idle it is no going more than 45°C. Very happy.

You may want to search on mprime255 download it then use ./mprime -m in the directory you downloaded then extracted too this gives you the menu choose Options/Torture test and the Smallfft one this puts the most stress on all the cores if you can pass this for a few hours then you have a solid overclock, you use the CTRL + C keys in the terminal to quit the testing then choose the exit option from the menu.

By the way, I have an AppleTV. And just saw that bonjour/afp/appletv connection doesnt work with the LAN driver of your package. I tried the Realtek1000 kext as some people told it resolved their problem, but I had 2 issues.

1rst got a kernel panic at boot with it.

2sd I removed the AppleRTL8*** kext into /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkFamily but after booting, Leopard told me it could'nt load the Realtek1000 kext.

Maybe you have an idea. I'm so close to the perfect setup now. I love that. Much much cheaper than buying a Macpro or iMac.

Cheers.

No clue here.

Ok, in fact I was stupid, I just had to install the Realtek R1000 kext with the script inside the zip file called ./installerrealease.

I tried before that the pkg that we can find on the R1000 sourceforge site, wich is not working.

Nevermind.

So Everything is working perfectly now.

it's time to stress my CPU now :cards: