Why OSX?

asot

14 posts in this topic

well,i'm sure a lot of peaople here wont like the question but i am really really trying to understand and become a part of this community called apple!

Q: Why OSX? i mean why should i sit infront of the pc for days trying to make osx86 work,what is the finnal result, i mean, i cant run an exe files,i cant play most pc games,i mean, rather then absolutley beautifull interface,what dose OSX has to offer??

And please, to all the wise guys here, its a serious Q,so dont bother with line like "stay with MS" or things like that...

Thanx for the answers...

:(

The fact you're asking this makes me want to just say.... please dont bother. If you cant see the point, then DO NOT put yourself through the pain of trying to get a hacked OS to work on hardware it was never meant to run on.

You have to be a certain kind of person to want to do this, and you're clearly not it.

i cant run an exe files

That's an odd argument. My toaster can't run EXE files, but I still find practical uses for my toaster. Linux can't run EXE files, yet many people still find valid uses for Linux.

i cant play most pc games

How the times change.. In the classic Apple "1984" commercial, the Mac was supposed to be this thing that was going to free the mindless drone worker class and introduce vibrance and excitement. Fast forward to 2008, and when you bring up "games" to a Mac user they giggle and say Windows is for games. They seem to think if you aren't doing work, you aren't really having fun.

OS X in itself is nothing special. It doesn't really offer anything that improves the user experience over Windows. People will say the UI is better, but it's really subjective. I personally find the UI to be too big and clumsy, and the built-in apps like Quicktime and Preview are too basic and I get frustrated when they can't do some function that the Windows built-in variant can do.

Part of the lure of OS X is in the apps it doesn't come with. Certain types of apps, especially graphics design apps, are done better for the Apple versions. This has less to do with the platform itself than the apps usually being used by clients who have used them since the days when "Apples were better for graphics design." The other part of the lure is that OS X is designed to be coupled to the hardware Apple sells it on. Without the Macbook or without the iMac you only have a portion of the entire package. Plunking down $1500 on what is little more than a consumer electronics device instantly makes OS X 'better'. 8)

The fact you're asking this makes me want to just say.... please dont bother. If you cant see the point, then DO NOT put yourself through the pain of trying to get a hacked OS to work on hardware it was never meant to run on.

You have to be a certain kind of person to want to do this, and you're clearly not it.

How Do you know that? i spent days and nights eversence 10.4.6,and NEVER asked more then maybe 2 technical question tops! I did my searches and managed to work ALL versions allmost by my self, i think i'm pretty "that person"!

i love the idea of trying new things and installing everything new and challange my self with every new build!

I am just asking what it has to offer,NOT becouse i'm trying to label osx as lame! becouse HELL its not,i am just asking as a new user of this OS what it has to offer to us "the ms ginny pigs" imo...

That's an odd argument. My toaster can't run EXE files, but I still find practical uses for my toaster. Linux can't run EXE files, yet many people still find valid uses for Linux.

:D

The workflow of OS X is significantly easier to use for extended periods of time. Two years ago, I would be mentally exhausted after about 5 hours of solid work on a PC (never mind about ergonomics or whatever, it is what it is). I now can work 12 hours straight on a Mac before I'm that tired. It's not the kind of work--I'm doing more mentally-stressing work now. OS X, with Exposé, the seamless drag-and-drop, wonderful lack of "too much text syndrome", just manages to be a far better, easier OS to use.

Here's a comparison of Windows Server 2003 security policy settings pane (from here…to OS X server's user policy settings pane (attached file).

Yes, they're not the *identical* items, but…they're close. OS X's preference pane is easy to follow the designed workflow, while Windows--is a lot of text, hard on the eyes, and is frustrating.

I don't know anyone who has bought a Mac or used one for an extended period of time (this precludes those who have played with one at Best Buy/Apple Store or used once or twice in the computer lab at school) and hasn't grown to love it.

If you take a peek at the Human Interface Guidelines you'll see how much thought and effort has gone into developing the Apple UI.

post-187375-1204553172_thumb.png

Liking or disliking OS is very personal. For me it's like this:

Before getting my MacBook Pro in 2006 December as a self Christmas gift I've been using Linux and Windows dual boot for ages. Linux to have unix terminal with all unix goodies and Windows to run things which didn't exist for Linux (mostly Skype). Mac OS X was the best of both worlds for me. I could have native unix shell and best GUI applications in one OS.

After using Mac OS X for extended period of time I feel less and less happy having to use Windows in the office. It annoys me which is a worrying sign. When I need to eject my usb flash (having a few "permanent" usb devices I have to pick which one I want to eject) and after that a new window pops-up and then those balloons that I can remove it safely.. It's so unfortunate that so many of us are forced to work with gate's ugly child.

How I started to use Mac OS X - I met a person in 2005 using G3 iBook which was produced in 2001. All her music and photos, collected over years, were well organized without any OS re-installations in iPhoto and iTunes. And she was a computer noob. I looked at my photos (here and there in folders anyhow) though I was so called "IT" guy. So I decided to "switch".. No regrets so far. Except that have to go thru pain every morning when I am back in the office ;)

Here's a comparison of Windows Server 2003 security policy settings pane (from here…to OS X server's user policy settings pane (attached file).

Yes, they're not the *identical* items, but…they're close. OS X's preference pane is easy to follow the designed workflow, while Windows--is a lot of text, hard on the eyes, and is frustrating.

This is due to the "one size fits all" interface style of Windows Server. Unlike Leopard server, which even Apple themselves promote for "small businesses and workgroups", Windows Server scales from the workgroup to the datacenter level. It takes considerably less to manage a 10 person OS X workgroup than a multi-domain Windows forest of several thousand workstations and servers. But just the same, a 10 person Windows workgroup isn't very hard to maintain, and depending on the needs of the workgroup the 'admin' (ie. the guy in the workgroup with the most computer experience) wouldn't need to really fool with group policies. Creating some users and setting up a printer share aren't exactly rocket surgery.

its like asking

"should i take another girlfriend"

and you want us to praise other girls ??

and i red an article in cosmopolitan that a lot of women hanging round in apple stores, seeking men, so maybe thats an argument to buy an apple.

I agree with City Hall, liking or disliking an OS is a personal choice.

I like the wonderful Aqua Interface of Mac OS X along with the ability to use the Terminal commands to get stuff done as well.

--danyel :P

Hey, I think the question is fine, and I ask myself the same thing, right around day five with no sleep, every time I'm tweaking away on a system built around hardware that I bought after months of research, carefully assembled, so that it would run "out of the box" - ha - Well, the answer is, if you don't enjoy this, go ahead and buy a Macintosh! For the time invested in getting a working hacky, you can certainly apply your technical skills to consulting or something like that, enough to earn cash for a real, Apple-built Macintosh. I could, and I did. It's like my fifteenth one since my first in 1988. And I'm still accumulating PC parts and building Hackintoshes, cos it's fun, and I love every second of it. The countless variety of installation methods and installation options and BIOS settings and RAM flavors and motherboard chipsets and video cards just totally tweaks out the geek in me, and frankly, I grew up with Apples, and watching Microsoft pitifully try to catch up with the finess of MacOS for decades, and I have no desire to run anything BUT MacOS for myself. I tool around in the other OSes out there, but MacOS is where I live, work, and have fun, and Hackintosh has opened up a whole new world of fun for me. And as I sit there, alone in my apartment, pulling this DVD drive, and swapping it for that one, and praying that the hardware switch will get me through this install, I get off on knowing that noone I know would get the same enjoyment out of what I am actually and masochistically enjoying at that moment - and that makes me - special! And that common enjoyment of pain, and suffering, and sheer bliss when every time the damned thing actually boots up, is what bonds us all as a community, right? That common joy of domination over non-conformist, poor-quality-controlled hardware, and forcing it to bend to our whim, right? That's conquest. That's thrill. That's insananity, and I love it. :) I also, apparently, love crafting run-on sentences, so, don't, necessarily, pay any attention to anything that I have to say. The end.