Power Mac G5 1.6 second hand worth it?

10 posts in this topic

Hi, its my first time starting a topic here. so yeah, hi guys.

anyway, i need a computer real quick. My celeron which ran hackintosh died when there was a short circuit. So there i was, without a computer for say 5 days to do my work. then a miracle happened and i found a G3 iMac 400mhz dumped on the street. alrite, maybe i'm a bit cheap but i was desparate for a computer.

And yes, i'm typing this now on a the G3.

After using the machine for like 2 weeks, i'm thoroughly impressed. I mean, it can barely watch youtube videos and such but in photoshop its mind blowing for its age.

anyway, as i'm a student i also need powerpoint and excel and progs like that and those are excruciatingly slow on the mac, especially when i've got grapher, firefox and itunes open. so i started searching for macs on Ebay. I found the eMacs which are quite resonable but then i found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...A:IT&ih=005

a G5 1.6ghz!!!

What do you guys think? should i bid on it? if so how much? keep in mind that i'm in Australia and yeah, its in Australian dollars. Whats more, should i just scrape the buy-a-mac idea and get a PC that supports a mac?

Thanks

p.s sry if i wrote too much.

Thanks guys. I made a bid of maximum bid of $450 AUD and when I got home after school from Volleyball training, it was sold for $480. Naturally I was very disappointed (if only i left traning just 5 minutes earlier, oh well).

Anyway, I found this other one:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...A:IT&ih=020

slightly more expensive and has less RAM but its got a more beefy vid card. so yeah, hope i get that one.

once again, thanks for the help guys.

James.

Just as great a deal, I wish I was in Australia!! :D

SticMAN

Thanks guys. I made a bid of maximum bid of $450 AUD and when I got home after school from Volleyball training, it was sold for $480. Naturally I was very disappointed (if only i left traning just 5 minutes earlier, oh well).

Anyway, I found this other one:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...A:IT&ih=020

slightly more expensive and has less RAM but its got a more beefy vid card. so yeah, hope i get that one.

once again, thanks for the help guys.

James.

oh no, I've got second thoughts.

my friend was telling me not to get the G5 cos he thinks i can build a SIGNIFICANTLY faster computer for similar dollars.

this is what he suggested,

gigabyte EP35-DS3, $135

Intel E8200 2.66ghz, $219

Gigabyte 9600gt graphic, $209

2Gb value DDR 667 Kingston ram, $50

new power supply (coolermaster), approx $50

Western Digital 500gb sata, approx $120

DVD burner + case, approx $70

altogether, between 800 to 900. aud btw.

to me it looks a whole lot more attractive than the g5, but then i dont want to go on a pilgrimage/expedition/journey/space travel, just to get Hackintosh to work on it. (and the g5 case is so sexy, lol).

by the way, that friend of mine is a bit of an anti-mac. so yeah. i dont know.

any suggestions?

thanks. james.

Yes, that setup is way faster than the Mac you wanna buy. But are you planning on spending like $800-900 on the Mac? Because then it's not worth it, build a hackintosh!

Only get the Mac if it's a bargain. I thought you're buying it for $250! A core 2 duo whips it's ass badly in terms of speed. Also you get the ability to run Windows, Parallels/VMWare Fusion, and play games.

gigabyte EP35-DS3, $135

Intel E8200 2.66ghz, $219

Gigabyte 9600gt graphic, $209

2Gb value DDR 667 Kingston ram, $50

new power supply (coolermaster), approx $50

Western Digital 500gb sata, approx $120

DVD burner + case, approx $70

Just don't go for the 9600GT, rather get a 3870 or 8800gt which are compatible with OSx86.

hey, thanks for the advice. I didnt buy it in the end. phew!

So yeah, my friend is gonna help me source the parts and i'm gonna build it. Thats the easy part.

Installing Hackintosh is gonna be the tedious part.

Oh, I've been reading about the 3870, there are reports that it overheats, and that PowerPlay doesnt work. Is this still the case? i'm gonna see if i can find that topic again.

Anyway, thanks so much for help, you guys saved me from wasting hard earned $$. :):rolleyes::D