KALYWAY 10.5.1 & i845

Igorka

18 posts in this topic

i can install KALYWAY 10.5.1 at my system?

notebook DELL INSPIRON 8500

Motherboard:

CPU Type Mobile Intel Pentium 4M, 2000 MHz (20 x 100)

Motherboard Name Dell Inspiron 8500

Motherboard Chipset Intel Brookdale i845MP

System Memory 1024 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)

BIOS Type Phoenix (06/30/05)

Display:

Video Adapter ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9600/9700 Series

3D Accelerator ATI Mobility Radeon 9600/9700 (M10/M11)

Monitor [NoDB]

Multimedia:

Audio Adapter SigmaTel STAC9750/51 @ Intel 82801DBM

Storage:

IDE Controller Intel® 82801DBM Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CA

Disk Drive FUJITSU MHT2060AH (60 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)

SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Network:

Network Adapter Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

FireWire Controller Texas Instruments IEEE1394 FireWire Adapter (Dell Inspiron 8500) (PHY: TI TSB41AB1/2)

Infrared Controller IR-port

USB1 Controller Intel 82801DBM ICH4-M - USB Controller [b-1]

USB2 Controller Intel 82801DBM ICH4-M - Enhanced USB2 Controller [b-1]

DMI:

DMI BIOS Vendor Dell Computer Corporation

DMI BIOS Version A08

• 4 weeks later...
TY

i try it

but after 3-4 min installation my notebook reboot (((

after load system.kext

I'm having similar issues here with an inspiron 8500. I tried Kaliway 10.5.1, flat image and another Leo DVD

with no success - they all reboot without showing the problem...now I'm trying with tiger...

anyone else had success??

K I've been at this install on my TREASURED LAPTOP i just dont wana give up!

I love this dell 8500 the screen res is AWESOME 1900x1200 WUXGA

I recently upgraded its video card ati 9600 128mb. and wanted to go all out and install

vista and mac osx..

ALL downloaded osx discs leopard wise i cannot get to the Install Screen.

reboots during darwin loader.

I have had sucess with 10.4.8 and JAS dvd release fully working .

vid card etherenet,.. hadnt done wireless yet.

Just tried leo4allv2 without luck either,.. but the error msg seems to drive me to

Installing EFI first??? but how we can get into the terminal in after the darwin loader with reboot.

K I've been at this install on my TREASURED LAPTOP i just dont wana give up!

I love this dell 8500 the screen res is AWESOME 1900x1200 WUXGA

I recently upgraded its video card ati 9600 128mb. and wanted to go all out and install

vista and mac osx..

ALL downloaded osx discs leopard wise i cannot get to the Install Screen.

reboots during darwin loader.

I have had sucess with 10.4.8 and JAS dvd release fully working .

vid card etherenet,.. hadnt done wireless yet.

Just tried leo4allv2 without luck either,.. but the error msg seems to drive me to

Installing EFI first??? but how we can get into the terminal in after the darwin loader with reboot.

Hi. If you try to explain a bit more in detail, maybe I can help...and then do the same if it works :trumpet:

Are you trying a new installation with leo4allv2 (which I hear/read for the first time...)?

To what point do you come with the installation? And what are the messages, if any?

The versions I tried (DVD) didn't work at all. I used the flat image method to install tiger and leo on two partitions of a mbr formatted drive. But the farest I can get is the "using xxx buffer headers ..." message. There is a tutorial here explaining how to resolve it (it should be an ACPI-kext issue). I didn't try that yet, I had no time. The solution should be replacing the leo versions of the kexts involved with those of tiger - probably exactly the ones in JAS you are having success with.

But maybe your way is an easier way, so if you answer my questions I'll try to help.

bye.

p.s. I also hate to "give up"...

Yes thanks for your support... Glad to see other Dell 8500 users here.

Well I was successfull installing JAS 10.4.8 to my current 160gb drive in laptop.

Vista is partition 1, MacOS X(jas) 10.4.8 is partition 2 as of now.

Question: How can I get this laptop to run Leopard if at all.?

SSE2 is mentioned on all versions below but yet none can take?

How do you modify an ISO dvd below with new kexts? what is flat Image you mention?

Kalway 10.5.1 fails to boot simply restarts during darwin text bootloader.

Itakos I think i was seeing a Apple logo spin but never any further.

TOH same cannot get to the Real INSTALL Option screen.

Leo4Allv2 immediately reboots 3 lines hard to read restarts so fast.

but I catch EFI.... 1st sentence.

Can I upgrade my current 10.4.8 jas install to use EFI v8.0 which I believe is the

real deal. BIOS a08 on this laptop just aint liking Leopard bootloader?

I may be wrong but still researching and loving it.! THX community.

Hi. If you try to explain a bit more in detail, maybe I can help...and then do the same if it works :P

Are you trying a new installation with leo4allv2 (which I hear/read for the first time...)?

To what point do you come with the installation? And what are the messages, if any?

The versions I tried (DVD) didn't work at all. I used the flat image method to install tiger and leo on two partitions of a mbr formatted drive. But the farest I can get is the "using xxx buffer headers ..." message. There is a tutorial here explaining how to resolve it (it should be an ACPI-kext issue). I didn't try that yet, I had no time. The solution should be replacing the leo versions of the kexts involved with those of tiger - probably exactly the ones in JAS you are having success with.

But maybe your way is an easier way, so if you answer my questions I'll try to help.

bye.

p.s. I also hate to "give up"...

The flat image is the image of a leopard partition which is prepared with all the right kexts etc. Then the modified image is copied to a free disk (or partition) through the unix dd command or its windows port. dd makes a kind of low level copy. this could be a solution. It's what I tried to do...it allows you to start the troubleshooting from an already written installation. But I did not get much further than you. As I said, I'm stuck at the ACPI-thing issue. Next week I should have some time to investigate. If I make any progress, I'll let you know.

Thanx.. Yes I completly understand... I image of a sucessful install ghost image etc.. makes sense.

I am awaiting the release of JAS's 10.5.2 which is in beta testing now. This is the only successful osx install to work

so i figured the osx 10.5.2 might just work too..

It wont be easy getting this laptop running leopard but I aint quitting either. ;)

The flat image is the image of a leopard partition which is prepared with all the right kexts etc. Then the modified image is copied to a free disk (or partition) through the unix dd command or its windows port. dd makes a kind of low level copy. this could be a solution. It's what I tried to do...it allows you to start the troubleshooting from an already written installation. But I did not get much further than you. As I said, I'm stuck at the ACPI-thing issue. Next week I should have some time to investigate. If I make any progress, I'll let you know.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Just curious, did any of you end up getting Leopard working on your 8500? I just dug mine out of its dirty duty as a temporary kitchen PC...

I am still holding on to this badboy laptop as its screen res is 1920x1200... insipron 8500

Tiger with ATI 9600/9700 driver worked 100%.

JAS's new LEOPARD 10.5.4 client server works now on this laptop.

note: install using AppleAC97 Audio, Broadcom 440x ethernet, intel 8 controller.

Keyboard/tablet wont work directly after 1st booting .. attach a real usb key mouse.

reinstall PS2 Controller all fixed.

I cannot understand the video card driver installation in leo. as the opengl framework replacement

doesnt seem to work like tiger.. But everything buy vid and wireless is working so far.

Vid resolutions.

note: install using AppleAC97 Audio, Broadcom 440x ethernet, intel 8 controller.

Keyboard/tablet wont work directly after 1st booting .. attach a real usb key mouse.

reinstall PS2 Controller all fixed.

Hi ashmanmedia,

still no success here! It boots from DVD without problems, but the first boot fails immediately,

like most older DVDs did. Please give me some more details about your installation

options. AppleAC97 Audio and Broadcom are easy to find/select, but intel 8 controller?

There are some options under plugins called ich7 to ich9 and ich8 and ich9, plus one

generic called ichx or something. And there are various other ichx related packages

under chipset and elsewhere. So please would you tell me which exactly you chose?

And did you choose any other package or just the 3 mentioned above?

Once I'm able to boot somehow, I can figure out the missing or wrong packages, but now

I have to start all over each time...so if you can help me once more... :D

bye,

rickx

Ok, as it often happens in forums, I answer myself. I was used to an autoselected kernel from other DVDs, so I did not choose any and that was the problem. Then I obviously chose the first one x??something which was the wrong one and at last I chose the only remaining, a 9.2.0... which indeed works!

Meanwhile I made some progress. I now have a working system with Callisto (003) as video driver (ATI 9000) allowing me to work with a 1680x1050 screen!! There's no way to activate the advanced video options on this card. For now I'll wait, but I found other video cards to which the i8500 can be upgraded. That would really mean giving a new life to this good old, almost abbandoned pc. Now I'm trying to make the rest work: I already have a nice Battery icon showing the correct values, and the energy saving panel shows all the options, but sleeping does not work yet: well, it goes to sleep, taking quiet a long time, but when it's time to wake up, the screen remains black while the green led says it's awake...I didn't look into that yet.

Next there's the PCMCIA controller which is a Texas Instruments - found something here - still have to read & test also.

It's really fun :D when you see the results of this hacking!

P.S. After installation it was not so funny. It did not recognize the keyboard and I did not have any usb keyboard around. Only way to copy the right kext onto the hard drive was using my mac in target mode (firewire drive) - other USB drives did not mount anywhere...

bye,

rickx

attaching small present for the drive icon

inspn_8500_front.icns.zip

I'm trying out JaS 10.5.4 on my 8500 but so far I can't get it to boot successfully from DVD. I start the computer, tell it to boot to DVD, I get a couple pages of Darwin booting text information, and then a few seconds after it has a message about Ethernet driver being loaded, my screen goes white (as if a graphics error) and loading appears to stop. I updated the firmware of the graphics card (4200 Go) to the last version released by Dell, but that didn't help.

Any advice?

My 8500 has an Ati card (9000), so I don't really know...I could suggest trying to boot with the -x option - that might help if it really is a video problem. You might also have a look here if there are other threads regarding that particular card. The Ati card works, but has no QE (it's a hardware problem, not driver) support. I ordered a Quadro FX go1000 which fits into 8500, so I will have a fully functional 1680x1050 laptop (I already switched wireless with a Dell Truemobile 1450 which has native support).

One strange point: you say "loading appears to stop": what do you mean? Did you wait a while to see if it loads? It might be that it's the phase where it passes from the verbose boot mode to the graphical one, and that might take a while also depending on your dvd drive and dvd-rom quality...or burning errors(?). Last thing coming to my mind: the bios. I don't think that matters here, but did you update to the last version? And also check everything looks fine in the bios setup.

P.S. Even the Dell audio-volume buttons work (so cool!) ;)

good luck,

rickx

p.p.s. if everything fails, I could sell you the ati card once I've received the replacement...

Thanks for the tips. I think it's definitely something wrong when the graphics drivers attempt to load. If I use -x, I get a little further in the boot process, but ultimately, the DVD drive stops making reading sounds and I just get a gray screen. I know this (gray screen) used to happen sometimes with an old version of the Windows drivers for this card, so it could be that the JaS install is using a driver version that has a similar issue. I did try Kalyway 10.5.2 a month ago and the install went just fine, it just wouldn't work on the next boot.

Unfortunately the BIOS and everything are all up to date and working, so those aren't the issue.

I'm contemplating what might happen if I use Kalyway to install, then replace the kernel and controllers with the JaS 10.5.4 ones that you say work. (which kernel did you use?)

Thanks for the tips. I think it's definitely something wrong when the graphics drivers attempt to load. If I use -x, I get a little further in the boot process, but ultimately, the DVD drive stops making reading sounds and I just get a gray screen. I know this (gray screen) used to happen sometimes with an old version of the Windows drivers for this card, so it could be that the JaS install is using a driver version that has a similar issue. I did try Kalyway 10.5.2 a month ago and the install went just fine, it just wouldn't work on the next boot.

Unfortunately the BIOS and everything are all up to date and working, so those aren't the issue.

I'm contemplating what might happen if I use Kalyway to install, then replace the kernel and controllers with the JaS 10.5.4 ones that you say work. (which kernel did you use?)

I used the second in the list (of two...), the first does not work. Don't ask me the name...And, well, it seems with some hacking you could do it. I would try the following: boot with Kalyway and start System Profiler. There you can see what drivers run (check the Extensions on the left, then search for the video drivers). Then replace those drivers on the Jas DVD. To do that you have to mount the JAS image read/write and replace the file(s), then burn it. The magic in JAS is the bootloader, which is a new one allowing older systems to boot...don't ask me the name again...but maybe you could also do the reverse, replace the kalyway bootloader with the JAS one...but I do not know, that could be a bit complicated. Ok, I went to have a look: it's called Chameleon. I'm almost sure that's the one to make the difference (plus the video driver in your case obviously).

read the first post here

Try this on boot:debug=0x100