Help me build my computer!

nate256

9 posts in this topic

So i was talking to a guy yesterday who helped me a great deal and we decided the my motherboard was DOA (dead on arrivel) so i contacted the place i bought it from and was getting ready to return it when i decided to try and put it back together. when i took it out i connected on my table it worked perfectly! but when i put it back in my case it wouldn't work. what is keeping it from working in my case? it turns on for 1/2 sec. and every thing starts to boot up and my fans start but than it stops.

so can any of you help?

thanks a million

I think the problem might be the power button cable from your case to the motherboard header.

If you have it one way system won't boot. Have you tried turning it the other way?

UPDATE:

Well it turns out it works when the motherboard is unscrewed? when i turn it on its side and take the screws out, it will run and turn on!

what are the screws doing? shorting out the Mobo? thanks

UPDATE:

Well it turns out it works when the motherboard is unscrewed? when i turn it on its side and take the screws out, it will run and turn on!

what are the screws doing? shorting out the Mobo? thanks

It's possible that 1 or more of the motherboard screws are shorting the mobo if they were very

tight, though I find it hard to believe that even the worst motherboard manufacturers would put

traces on the mobo too close to the screw holes.

The motherboard screws screw into little brass pegs that are sticking up like a half inch off the steel backing of the case. (called standoffs)

Make sure you have installed these standoffs, you're not trying to screw directly into the baseplate of the case, also make sure you only have standoffs where there are corresponding holes in the motherboard. Some motherboards have different screw layouts, and if your motherboard has vital exposed circuitry where another motherboard has a hole, that standoff will be pressed against the bare wires. (this is a very bad thing.)

here's a google image search result for "standoff" in case you're confused: http://www.kenyada.com/mobo%20standoff%20008.jpg

Thanks for you help!

i got it going and im typing from it now!

It is a beast!

Thanks again sooo much