typical quad core temps

15 posts in this topic

i just got my q6600 g0 running and its been going for @ 24 hours now and with the fan on low (zalman cpu cooler) my cores average around

1: 37

2: 37

3: 30

4: 34

is that normal? for 1 and 2 to be 7 degrees hotter than 3?

im also using "teperture monitor 4.4" so i dont know how accurate it is

my system specs are

asus maximus 8 gb ocz ram 2 750 gb seagate barracuda and q6600 g0

memory is running at 800 and cpu is stock 2.4

im kind of afraid the thermal paste isnt spread even but i dont want to take off the fan and check its such a pain in the a$$

Normal. Looks good.

Btw, you don't spread your thermal comp on the cpu. You apply a thin bead a per the instructions:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruc...l_quad_wcap.pdf

It will spread itself out as it burns in. ;)

Too much thermal comp can actaully be worse for you, but your temps look fine. I wouldn't worry about reapplying.

yea i actualy have a mac g5 case i gutted and started to build my system in and was having a hard time because i couldnt wait to let the mobo standoffs dry completly in place. and i ended up pulling my system out of that case and into a thermaltake armor only to find that the system wasnt starting because of my videocard, the system was actually functioning fine.. so i have a mac g5 case with back cut out and a back panel from a thermaltake armor bolted on, ill prob put it on ebay.. im over trying to build a mac clone haha..

now i just need to oc this badboy.. i just dont know much about ocing but i did find some links to people running fully stable 3.6 ghz q6600 g0 on asus maximus boards, and even some running higher. i just was afraid id fry somthing since im an oc newb.

im guessing overclocking to 3.6 would be a huge performance increase

yea i actualy have a mac g5 case i gutted and started to build my system in and was having a hard time because i couldnt wait to let the mobo standoffs dry completly in place. and i ended up pulling my system out of that case and into a thermaltake armor only to find that the system wasnt starting because of my videocard, the system was actually functioning fine.. so i have a mac g5 case with back cut out and a back panel from a thermaltake armor bolted on, ill prob put it on ebay.. im over trying to build a mac clone haha..

now i just need to oc this badboy.. i just dont know much about ocing but i did find some links to people running fully stable 3.6 ghz q6600 g0 on asus maximus boards, and even some running higher. i just was afraid id fry somthing since im an oc newb.

im guessing overclocking to 3.6 would be a huge performance increase

Overclocking isn't that big a deal, but just like getting OSx86 to run properly it requires that you don't jump blindly into it and do your reading. It's not like the old days since it is almost impossible to fry a modern CPU, but you can fry other things like memory controllers, memory, vregs, etc... Especially with some of the more esoteric settings available on a modern overclocking friendly mobo.

Here are a couple of good places to start:

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/

and you don't need an expensive mobo or ram to overclock well. I run a totally stable 4 Ghz o/c on a G0 stepped Q6600 on relatively cheap hardware. It not about how much you spend (that's what all component companies want you to think) it's about what you know and how you apply that knowledge. :)

Besides knowing hardware information, what speed do you think that the G0 Q6600 could go without water cooling before reaching damaging temps?

It won't. The cpu will go into thermal shutdown before that happens. Of course temps higher than about 70 may reduce cpu life. This is a controversial topic. Some say 70... even 75 is well with spec, but I like to keep things cooler than that. With high overclocking speeds you are much more likely to fry your memory, vregs, or northbridge. CPU is the least of your concerns.

But to answer your question I wouldn't go any higher than about 3.6 air cooled. Of course I know plenty of people running 4 air cooled.

Gotcha on the frying other parts thing.

It'll probably be a few months of research before I start overclocking (and the fact that I'm working on moding a G4 case to put my system in), but getting the base info definitely helps.

Thanks for the info and links!

There are lots of other overclocking resources out there. Extremeoverclocking has a broad range of topics with huge posting volume. Problem with that is the signal to noise ratio is high, so it makes it tough to find good information... kinda like here. Clunk is good for the guides and the tight moderation. All the other sites fall somewhere in between.