Old OSX86'er -- help getting back in

Joe Anstett

6 posts in this topic

I used to play with the JAS 10.4.x builds and stopped about a year and a half ago, as I got real Macs.

Now, I have a Thinkpad X40 that has freed up and I want to go OSX86 on it (I want the benefits of the Macbook Air without the price and crippling lack of features and size), but I'm out of the loop and could use your advice.

I'm d/l'ing Kalyway assuming that's a good place to get started. Some questions:

1) Does autoupdate still break the hacked kernel? Is there anyway to run a Hackintosh and system update without it breaking? I thought I had read something about that recently.

2) My Thinkpad has an older Intel GMA (855?) chipset. Last go around I couldn't get quartz. Anybody know if this has improved?

3) Integrated wireless didn't work last time. Has this improved?

Thanks for your help, sorry if I'm annoying anybody with stupid questions.

1) Does autoupdate still break the hacked kernel? Is there anyway to run a Hackintosh and system update without it breaking? I thought I had read something about that recently.

The EFI emulation layer allows use of the unmodified Apple kernels on Intel hardware, so I think it is solved. At least the last update to 10.4.11 seemed to install on my iMac and Hackintosh the same. 

10.4 Tiger is a good place to start, to get some experience with OSx86. Once you are familiar with the install process and all, you can try 10.5 Leopard, which is in some cases easier to install than Tiger because almost everything is automated. The hardest part is getting the right options and settings.