"Please Restart" Error

.aero

12 posts in this topic

I've successfully installed 10.4.8 a couple months ago on my computer, but the graphics card created a whole list of problems so I went out and bought a new graphics card along with a new hard drive.

My system specs are:

3.2 P4 HT Processor

P4P800 SE Motherboard (Intel 865PE chipset)

(PNY) Nvidia Geforce 7600 GS 512mb (AGP 8x)

*Western Digital SATA 320 Gig Hard Drive

1 Gig DDR2 ram

Now, I successfully went through the installation, but a couple times the dvd drive hanged and shut down the computer. However, the last time I installed kalyway's 10.5.1, it went through the installation with a few hangs but it pulled through and installed successfully (don't know how much of an impact the hangs had, but it finished the installation). Now when I select to boot up OSX, it restarts to the motherboard/"bios" screen from the beginning over and over again in a loop.

I am suspecting that it is the hard drive, since it is SATA and the previous installation of 10.4.8 worked on an IDE hard drive. Also, I'm thinking that it may be it is because it is considered as the "third IDE device" in BIOS, not first, maybe OSX doesn't boot unless its first.

Secondly, it could be the dvd drive as I stated earlier, but I doubt it since it worked when I used 10.4.8.

So does anyone know whats wrong, or had this happen to them?

First off:

Make sure AHCI is disabled if you are using any SATA devices...

Secondly, you might want to burn your Kalyway DVD over again at a low speed(4x).

This might or might not help, but try to set your devices to their respective jumper settings(ie. MASTER/SLAVE) and not Cable Select... :)

Update: I get to the Apple Logo by not selecting vanilla, but now it asks me to restart and I get the same response each restart.

This is the first SATA hard drive that I have ever owned, so how do I go about and disable the AHCI?

Update: I installed with a new DVD driver, so the DVD is not the issue. I am still having the same issue where it just brings me to thwe "Please Restart" error screen during the apple screen. I restart, but to no avail. I don't think my motherboard supports AHCI because I can't find the option to disable it when I select the IDE drive in bios (although I don't know anything about AHCI, so if im not doing something right, please reply).

I just select the nvidia desktop drivers and required drivers upon installation.

Any ideas? It seems to be because of the SATA hard drive...

Update: When I type -v, this is the error I receive:

localhost /usr/sbin/ocspd[61]:starting

localhost mDNSResponder-164(Nov 4 2007 13:23:04)[36]:starting

localhost mds[35]: (/.Spotlight-V100/Store-V1/Stores/616A9F0F-32DA-4A82-9213-D6F1CDE9440B) (Error) IndexCI in Content IndexOpenBulk: No index

If your mobo supports AHCI or not you need to into the BIOS and check if the SATA drives are in what might be called "native mode". It might also be called "ide mode" as well. That mobo is a little long on the tooth for an OSX install. Having said that I have heard that some people with the 865 chipset have gotten it to work, although it takes a lot of fiddling. To make thing much easier you really should have at least a 945 chipset mobo. Most of those are all fully supported out of the box. What install dvd are you using?

Chevy

What helped me get pass that error, was i just installed Kalyway WITHOUT the nvinject. It was causing me problems. Plus you can install the drivers after you boot into osx. Dont use the vanilla settings.

MAke sure u select the right bootloader.

Try this without the nvinject and see if you boot to desktop. Again, this was my problem with a 7900gt 256mb.