Kernel Panic after Graphic Update from Apple [SOLVED]

VasH

15 posts in this topic

Hi all!

Here's my problem.

I had Leopard installed with iAtkos r3 for nforce mobo.

For my 8800GTS I had used the Geforce patch and the specific NvInject for my card (320Mb)

I've updated Leopard with kalyway update and I've applied the 9.2 kernel by Netkas.

All was fine.

So I've decided to install the graphic update from apple, and now I get a Kernel Panic.

I've not the log of the error here, however it refers to Geforce and Resman kext.

I've deleted my NNinject.kext, cleared the cache and I've installed new kext with the NvInstaller v.33 (link).

Same result.

I've read that someone has deleted Geforce and Resman kext to pass kernel panic.

Is this the solution for me?

What involve deleting those file?

Thanks in advance for any help & advice.

I've found this on another thread:

has anybody used this method and can explain it a bit better?

I've read that even Geforce.kext should be modified, but I don't know which parameter....

the fix for nForce Motherboards, no matter if they are for intel or AMD is that the kext needs to set rid of the trailing part, those "&0xfff0ffff", because they causing conflicts with other Nvidia components of the board, but I don't know if is easy to deply because you need to know every DeviceId of geforce cards.

an example:

if NVDAResman has:

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x011010de&0xfff8ffff 0x017010de&0xfff8ffff 0x017910de 0x018010de&0xfff8ffff</string>

it should be like this

<string>0x011710de 0x017110de 0x017910de 0x018610de</string>

Users who know the specific DevIDs can put the DeviceID that they are using:

<string>0x014110de</string>

that is my DeviceID of my 6600 on my nForce 4 Ultra MoBo BTW.

This doesn't help you at all, but I'm in the same exact situation as you. Same P5N-E SLI motherboard too.

I dont know if this is what you did, but I updated to 10.5.2 w/ kalyway combo update, and then installed the nvinject .33 kexts for my 512mb 8600gt.

EDIT: looking at your signature, you are exactly the same as me. installed with the r3 patch, and updated to 10.5.2 with the comboupdate. so.... anyway continuing.

I now get a kernel panic every boot, but I can boot into safe mode with -x -v. The interesting thing is, after booting into this, I get all the resolution changes as would be expected. But, nonetheless this doesn't help me at all, because it's still in safe mode.

I tried deleting the NVDAResman.kext and, yes, that did bypass the kernel panic, but it also got rid of the resolution-changing ability.

So if you have any updates on this situation, SHARE!!!! :P

OK well I reinstalled iAtkos and updated to 10.5.2. Then did the graphics update, which then resulted in kernel panic. Now I am in the same boat as you. ;[

I've resolved the issue.

I've modified the plist of these files:

GeForce.kext

NVDAResman.kext

NVDANV50Hal.kext

As suggested by macgirl >> here <<

you have to modify the file with your Device ID.

This solved for me.

Good luck

P.s. have you upgraded the kernel to 9.2? I've used the one that Mysticus added to his guide. I think it's the Netkas'one.

I've resolved the issue.

I've modified the plist of these files:

GeForce.kext

NVDAResman.kext

NVDANV50Hal.kext

As suggested by macgirl >> here <<

you have to modify the file with your Device ID.

This solved for me.

Good luck

P.s. have you upgraded the kernel to 9.2? I've used the one that Mysticus added to his guide. I think it's the Netkas'one.

OOHHHH

I tried modifying JUST the NVDAResman.kext and that just gave me the kernel panic.

Did you do the graphics update AND nvinject or just nvinject?

Yeah I've upgraded to 9.2.0 kernel with Mysticus's guide. Worked flawlessly.

I've got the Kernel panic after the graphic update.

So at first aI've removed the Nvinject.kext I had installed from the iAtkos DVD during Leopard Installation and I've installed new kext with the NVinstaller (last version), but it did't solve.

After that I've modified those 3 kext, cause the graphics update messed up all theme.

We have not the same graphic card, but If I'm not wrong the NVDA50Hal.kext cover all the 8xxx series.

Try modify that one and the GeForce.kext too.

Good luck

hi guys,

seems like i have the same problems. gpu is a GTS512. i installed first the .33 driver and got kernel panic. the i deleted the 3 kext files and made the update to 10.5.2. what do i have to do now? i dont know how to modify the kext files and where to find the device ID. can you give me a hint pls? i know, a noob again ;-)

DvP

nothing is messed up in the installer...

the problem is appearing bcoz nvidia gfx drivers are missing one important component that most drivers have...

device type identifier! since you are using nforce mobo, there are many 10de (nvidia) components on your mobo... and these drivers are loading for random devices on your mobo.... think of it this way, your gfx driver is loading also for your pata controller... sata controller, northbridge southbridge or nic card...

normally most drivers has a device type (pci class identifier) (say your network driver first identifies the device as network card, otherwise ignores it, or sound card, same as gfx card... only one tricky part here is we have so many nvidia component, and real macs dont, thats why they dont have any trouble, but instead in real mac intel drivers has device type identifier so that it doesnt conflict with anything... but nvidia drivers dont have it! thats why you are getting lots of freezes...

i have fixed it on my installer, already, tomorrow hopefully will be ready... along with everything...

the problem is appearing bcoz nvidia gfx drivers are missing one important component that most drivers have...

device type identifier! since you are using nforce mobo, there are many 10de (nvidia) components on your mobo... and these drivers are loading for random devices on your mobo.... think of it this way, your gfx driver is loading also for your pata controller... sata controller, northbridge southbridge or nic card...

normally most drivers has a device type (pci class identifier) (say your network driver first identifies the device as network card, otherwise ignores it, or sound card, same as gfx card... only one tricky part here is we have so many nvidia component, and real macs dont, thats why they dont have any trouble, but instead in real mac intel drivers has device type identifier so that it doesnt conflict with anything... but nvidia drivers dont have it! thats why you are getting lots of freezes...

i have fixed it on my installer, already, tomorrow hopefully will be ready... along with everything...

If you make an installer, you will be my hero. Getting the gfx to work will be the last thing before I have everything 100% compatible.

Keep us updated.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Ok...well seems that the easiest thing to do is just not to do the graphics update.

lol i have to have the graphics update to get my 3850 working! I'm scared to do it though because I got the 10.5.2 update from "bay" and everyone on there said it broke their install. :(

Well, if you need it to get your 3850 working ..yeah that's a bit of a risk you have to take. I still haven't done the leopard graphics update since my 8800gts is working fine. Unless there's some kind of performance increase or something else dramatic I don't see the point of it. I just went to India for a week and came back and the machine has been fine. There were some more OS X updates available when I got back and after installing those, everything is still working.

Anyway, I haven't seen any new posts about leopard graphics update issues so for now I guess no point fixing what isn't broken.

did you come up with a new installer? Thanks

• 1 year later...