How to: Install Kalyway 10.5.1 on ASUS P5K motherboard + updates fully working

Charlie78

21 posts in this topic

Ok, here's a how-to for beginners like myself to install Leopard OSX86. I started doing some research on Insanelymac forums about two weeks ago, and there's no doubt that this forum is an immense resource for installing Mac OS X Leopard on an ordinary PC-rig. However, the informations is dispersed and might not be easilly found. I don't know if these steps work on other ASUS P5Kxx whatever motherboards, but it might.

To be able to install it, you need some hardware. Here's my setup:

Asus P5K, P35, Socket-775 Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz

- Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2, 2048MB CL5 (2x1024MB)

- Asus GeForce 8800GTS 512MB (the G92 Core)

- Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB SATA2 HD x 2

- Samsung internal SATA-DVD SH-203P

- D-Link PCI Ethernetcard DGE-528T 10/100/1000 (Gigabit)

There's a hardware compability list, that you can find here, if you have any questions about your own hardware. Start there, but be aware that solutions might be available on this forum for your hardware even though you can't find it in the compability list!

Now, you need a distribution of the Leopard. I used, quite successfully, the Kalyway 10.5.1 distro, which you'll find in the usual place (you know where I mean) as a torrent.

Before you install, be aware that you WILL need to manually edit some kext-files, which are much like the Windows drivers. That's not until later, but if you don't have a secondary system on which you can read this forum and d/l files, do that now.

Allright, onto the installation!

Now, if you have an existing Windows whatever installation on a HD and install Mac OS on the same HD, it's sure as hell gonna mess up your installation. You won't be able to boot again to Windows. Instead, I recommend a dedicated HD for the installation. If you really, really, REALLY want to install it on the same HD you should search this forum for dual boot workarounds. Again, it's quite a mess to get it to work and I wouldn't recommend it (other users here will surely disagree, but I'm a rookie and I'm proud of it).

What's critical here is to have a SATA DVD drive. If you don't have a SATA DVD drive, there are solutions to it I've heard, but I wouldn't bother. Just go out and get a SATA DVD drive, it's inexpensive.

After you've downloaded your Kalyway 10.5.1 ISO, burn it at low speed (x2) to a DVD +/-R. Insert into the computer you want to install Mac OS on and reboot.

Bios settings: If you're using RAID, you should set the bios to AHCI compliance. Otherwise, you shouldn't have to change ANYTHING in the bios, I didn't have to. But remember to change boot sequence to start with your SATA DVD-drive.

The computer starts up, and you'll see a screen which shows you the Darwin boot loader. Don't press anything, just let it chew through it. If at this point you run into some problem, reboot and press F8 at the Darwin screen. Press –v to see what's happening in your computer. That way, if you see the installation stop at some point you can write it down and search this forum for a solution. It works for most people.

But if everything's right, you should boot successfully into the installer. I'm not gonna walk you through the installer, there're plenty of guides for that here, but format your HD to a size of liking and go on to install the extras.

Here's a critical step; UNCHECK THE GRAPHICAL DRIVERS! This is important since numerous persons receive Kernel Panic upon reboot if they choose Nvidia drivers. Why? Go figure. But essentially you do not need to check this, Leopard uses a standard driver so u still have 1024x728 solution when entering your OS after reboot. We'll get u the drivers you'll need later on.

Ok, now install and let it chew through. It might take a while, grab a cup of coffee or whatever and sit tight. If successful, after a while your computer will reboot. If you screwed up in one of the previous steps, you'll most likely get a Kernel Panic here. If you do, again, search the forums for your specific problem.

If everything's OK up to this point, you should be able to boot into a successful installation of Mac OS Leopard. You're still not at a point of a fully operational OS, but you have passed the most critical stages. Good for you.

Now there's time for you to upgrade your system to 10.5.2, both patches and Kernel update. Very clear and distinct instructions for that can be found at page 3 of this thread! It involves downloading two packages from TPB, just remember to repair permissions (see that thread for how-to) and you'll be all right.

Audio:

Go to this thread and download the Extensions_2.zip for Audio to work on your ASUS P5K motherboard!

Lan/Ethernet:

For my Ethernetcard, there's a fix out. Check here https://sourceforge.net/projects/realtekr1000/ to download Kexts for Ethernetcards based on the Realtek core. And more specifically, I highly recommend this thread to insert the specific lines into that Kext! Post here if anything's unclear later on. However, I strongly recommend u check the Hardware compability list and go grab a card that works natively!

Graphics:

Your card will simply work with the 10.5.2 update. If you have problems, check this thread!

Hopefully, you'll now have a fully functional Mac OS X Leopard on your PC hardware system! Which is neat and cool and all that. Post here if you have any problems, or if you have any suggestions on how to improve this thread.

Next step:

Now it's time to discover the power of the Leopard OS! Take your time, you'll definitely run into some sort of problem along the way. Check this forum often to see if there are new updates out, and be careful to follow the instructions carefully. Good luck!

i would also like to add, if you are installing it in a seperate drive, use GUID partition. For some reason i couldn't get mbr partition to work (would always get the apple logo hang/restart notice pop up).

as for drivers,

onboard audio - used the one supplied in kalyway

onboard lan - used the p5k-e fix located in the iatkos p5k-e thread

graphics - used scottdangels nvinjext installer

havn't update to 10.5.2 yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Figured it out. I had a jumper on the drive showing that it was a master with slave. However there was no slave present. I removed the jumper so it is a master without slave and it detected it.

I have very similar hardware (P5K-VM, WD500 SATA, Lite-On DVD SATA, MSI 8800GTS). At the very end of the Kalyway 10.5.1 install I get an error message that the install failed with an unknown error. The last operation in the log was a failed attempt to remove a file. There was also a mount usage statement in there as if mount wasn't being called correctly. Any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Folks,

I have a problem here. I have installed the Kalyway release on my Asus P5K, Q6600, Radeon HD2600XT machine. The install runs fine.

Then the system reboots, shows the apple logo and ends up in a dark grey screen.

Nothing happens from here on.

I have tried all variations in ATI-Drivers and now face the following problem: I understand that the driver for the 2600 series is included in the 10.5.2 upgrade. In addition to that, I found the driver as single release here on the forum.

however, since Leopard does not boot at all, I am not sure how to install these things.

Do you have any suggestions here?

Any help is appreciated,

Cheers Mark

Hi Candykane,

Thx for your awnser. That setting was turned off. The problem remains. I have tried to boot without the drivers by entering:

rm -R .../ATINDRV.kext and

rm -R .../ATIRNDRV.kext

That results in funny squares on the screen. I do however see reactions on mouse movement.

Is there a general problem with HIS Radeon Cards, maybe?

Or is there something else you could think of?

Thx in advance

Mark

• 2 months later...

hello to all p5k users ;-)

i installed yesterday night kalyway 10.5.2 on my system (e6750, p5k-e wifi, 36GB Raptor - mac os, 160GB Seagate - vista, 8800GTX).

i 've tried to install it with a bootmenu but i dont get it to work :-( but this isnt the problem, i only use vista for gaming and this is not very often ;-). The question is: does EIST (Speedstep) works under OS X?

I hope someone can answer my question ;-)

Greets ossiram

btw. i come from germany and my englisch isn't good, i hope you can read this.

• 2 weeks later...
hello to all p5k users ;-)

i installed yesterday night kalyway 10.5.2 on my system (e6750, p5k-e wifi, 36GB Raptor - mac os, 160GB Seagate - vista, 8800GTX).

i 've tried to install it with a bootmenu but i dont get it to work :-( but this isnt the problem, i only use vista for gaming and this is not very often ;-). The question is: does EIST (Speedstep) works under OS X?

Speedstep works, however if this is enabled in the BIOS, VMWare will not work. Speedstep and the VX technology don't run at the same time. To get one, enable the other.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not having much luck with this install method on my Asus P5K. The install seems to go well and it restarts and then it hangs at startup on the grey apple screen.

I think this might be because I am using the newest BIOS revision and there is no ACHI option. IS that the cause -- I've searched the forums, but I don't see any answers (not to my untrained eyes I guess)

I too am new to this and proud of it -- but I do need some help!

Here is a detailed description of what I've done -- I can't seem to get past this point.

I installed the E8500 (45nm) to the motherbaord and put a Freezer 7 Pro HSF on it. I installed 4GB of Gskill DDR2 800Mhz RAM then decided to take 2 sticks out too see if that helped any (1GB ea). They are in the right slots A1 and B1 according to the P5K manual. Then I installed the Sapphire HD 3870 and connected it to my HP w2207h.

Connected all the power cables, and device cables and installed Windows XP pro. Worked fine. I used XP to update my BIOS via the internet to the latest revision -- 1006. My Seagate SATA HD is plugged in to the SATA1 port (red) and my DVD drive is plugged in to the SATA2 port (red)

Then I started up from the Leopard DVD and erased my HD and reformatted it to be 1 Partition Extended/Journaled and GUID.

I have tried many BIOS combinations including factory default settings without success or even any changes in the system response!

I am currently trying to install Kalyway 10.5.1 SSE2_SSE3 with Vanilla Kernel and EFI only on a Maxtor 20GB PATA drive with jMicron ENABLED and set to AHCI in my BIOS -- I took this drive from my old iMac G3 Blueberry.

Need any more information? Please ask because I would like to get past the grey apple screen!

OK -- I got it working and this is probably a really n00b thing to do but after changing the DVD to 1st boot device priority and installing I went back in and every OTHER time I did this I changed the 1st boot device priority to my HD but this time I selected restore factory defaults and it set the 1st boot device to floppy drive and that, I think, has made all the difference!! This must be something most people know -- but I didn't

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hello.. succesfully installed on my P5K E6750 ATIX1900XTX, iATKOS 4.0i..

Soundcard working, IDE devices working (patched, no more freezes), Video Card working with 3d features enabled. I also uploaded succesfully to 10.5.5.

My only problem is created by shutdown/reboot.. Sometimes it works straight.. sometimes it just freezes on grey screen shutting down, sometimes it shuts down my pc but also if the monitor is black, fans keep running.

Another little problem is about usb devices like mouse and keyboard.. sometimes on boot my sistem just doesnt detect them and i have to unplug and plug-in them again... After that all works like a charm

Vmware fusion 2.0 is correctly workin on my pc..

My XBench score is 206.

Cya !

Sorry for late reply.

I'd successfully install Kalyway 10.5.1 in my computer. Then I upgraded it to 10.5.4 through 10.5.2 and 10.5.3 which were modified by Kaly.

Now everything working with driver installed.

• 11 months later...

Okay I also have a P5K. I got the ethernet working through using manual terminal commands.

For the sound you guys are recommending I use the extensions 2.zip link that was mentioned in the beginning of this thread. However in the extension 2 zip there are 10 kexts.

Am I suppose to install all of these? or a couple? Which ones? And do I really have to do all 10 of them by with manual commands? :thumbsup_anim:

There must be a better way. I read about a OSx86 kext installer but I can't find this program. If I should use the osx86 kext installer, can someone please point me to it.

I am so close to having everything working!! Please just help me with this last part.

There is not that much left...

Okay I finally figured it out. And I might mention that although I appreciate that this "howto" was created I would like to say that it is missing critical "howto" information.

The files needed to install the drivers for sound, video, or NIC / ethernet are called kexts.

For attansic L1 Ethernet for the p5k follow this link: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=40851&st=300&p=706663entry706663. Download that zip

For the sound you need for the P5K follow this link and download the extensions 2.zip :

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=68867&st=0&p=494707entry494707

To install the kexts for ethernet and sound do the following:

The best way to accomplish installing these is by a program called OSX86 Tools. Rather than just telling you that I will also include a link where to download it that way you have to blow hours trying to get find it and get the kext installed.

Here is the link: http://code.google.com/p/osx86tools/

Perhaps the link with break in the future but you need to search for "osx86 tools utility"

Open the program and under the extensions section there is an option to install kexts. Follow the prompts.

After I did this the onboard sound on my p5k worked perfectly!

As I mentioned in a previous post I did the Attansic by hand but that is only because I had a little experience in Gentoo Linux and kind knew what I was doing. Also it was only one kext so it didn't take that long.

• 8 months later...

Hi

I have an ASUS m2n-mx se plus motherboard and when I am trying to install snow leapard on my pc it starts to install and then errors out saying can install at this location. I am using a western digital 1Tb SATA HDD. Any suggestions?

Hi

I have an ASUS m2n-mx se plus motherboard and when I am trying to install snow leapard on my pc it starts to install and then errors out saying can install at this location. I am using a western digital 1Tb SATA HDD. Any suggestions?

NVM got it to work