Will a 1920 x 1200 wallpaper look stretched on a 2560 x 1600 screen?

9 posts in this topic

It won't look stretched, they have the same aspect ratio. (assuming you mean 1920x1200, not 1900x1200)

Thanks. Changed 1900 to 1920.

One last question: Will having a 1920 x 1200 wallpaper on a 2560 x 1600 screen look the EXACT same as having it on a 1920 x 1200 screen?

I need want to make sure before investing my pay check on a 30".

I can't figure why the wallpaper would be a deciding factor.

That said, scaling up an image in the 'Desktop & Screensaver' control panel using OS X's built in graphics produces results that aren't bad. Will it look the same? No, not if you look close. When I recently switched from a 17 inch CRT to a 22 inch flatscreen, I chose to scale up some of my favorite desktop pics in Photoshop, which produced much better results. If you do not own Photoshop, or if it is out of your budget, download GIMP. GIMP is freeware and produces comparable results. (I wish GIMP was around in '91 when I first purchased Photoshop.)

Bottom line: don't let this wallpaper be the deciding factor in your purchase. That's plain silly.

BTW, as a digital photography hobbyist working with a 1680 x 1050 native resolution, I envy you.

Cheers!

I can't figure why the wallpaper would be a deciding factor.

That said, scaling up an image in the 'Desktop & Screensaver' control panel using OS X's built in graphics produces results that aren't bad. Will it look the same? No, not if you look close. When I recently switched from a 17 inch CRT to a 22 inch flatscreen, I chose to scale up some of my favorite desktop pics in Photoshop, which produced much better results. If you do not own Photoshop, or if it is out of your budget, download GIMP. GIMP is freeware and produces comparable results. (I wish GIMP was around in '91 when I first purchased Photoshop.)

Bottom line: don't let this wallpaper be the deciding factor in your purchase. That's plain silly.

BTW, as a digital photography hobbyist working with a 1680 x 1050 native resolution, I envy you.

Cheers!

Thanks for your input. Yes Photoshop will work just fine (strangley I didn't even think about that).

It is not a deciding factor in my buying, I just like to go through every single factor before I buy. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Stretched yes, distorted no. With LCDs you wanna use pictures that are at the native resolution. Its not like you can't find 2560x1600 wallpaper. Keep in mind, if you have the Dell 30" in mind, with some graphics drivers, it doesn't like working properly. Especially with Tiger. It sees the panel's resolution as being 800x1280 (thats right, a narrow resolution) not 2560. Leopard seems to have no trouble with it though so far. Make sure you have a dual-link capable video card. My 7800GT has dual-link on one DVI port, but not the other.

• 1 year later...