Kalyway and Dell 9300 .. no joy :(

seanmcgpa

10 posts in this topic

Dell 9300 with Pentium M, 2 gigs of ram (533), 1920x1200 on a Geforce 6800 Go.

Made 10 attempts ... vanilla kernel, vanilla kernel + SSE2, just SSE2.

Drivers for the video card checked or not checked.

GUID or MBR .. didn't matter ...

They all just boot and then give me a "You must Restart this computer" message.

Any hints or ideas? Can the 9300 even run 10.5.1? Or do I need a Core2Duo ?

i dont know what is the difference or how to chose, MBR or GUID......have you ever tried burning the dvd again at lowest speed posible... it worked for me.. with tiger... jas 10.4.6 ummm, i think yo u dont need core2duo , because i dont and i can.....

Nah, you'll need the patched kernel, vanilla won't work on a Pentium M/Centrino.

Also, "support for MMX, SSE, SSE2, Intel's Enhanced SpeedStep technology and Execute Disable Bit" means no SSE3.

As the above said, boot in verbose mode (-v after hitting F8) and post the details of the kernel panic. That will give you a hint as to the problem.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I got mine to load Kalyway 10.5.1 but I cant get the resolution any higher than 1024X768. Please help, Ive tried different resolutions at boot up by typing: -x "Graphics Mode"="1440X900X32" but it just boots me in safe mode and stays 1024X768. Ive even tried: -x "Graphics Mode"="1280X768X32" with no success

Dell Inspiron 9300

2.0GHZ P4

128MB ATI Radeon

1GB RAM

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem. So far I've been researching for the last 6 months. Currently there is no fix for this specific card. And it is quite old I don't think anyone will put the effort into adapting it into OSX. I would suggest you to find the nvidia card that was the alternate option for this specific laptop. The use NVinject. But I'm sorry to say that currently your Dell 9300 ATI R M X300 graphics card is not designed for OSX. If you need to ask anything else feel free to PM me. Cheers.