Need help with DynDNS (dynamic DNS)

10 posts in this topic

Hi,

I wanted to experiment with setting up a web server on my computer so heres what I did: I installed the WAMPServer2 bundle (Apache, PHP, and MySQL all in one package) on Windows XP. Everything was working after install, I could access localhost from my browser, and since I am on a router network with another computer, I could access the site from the other computer by typing: 192.168.1.101 (the internal IP address for the web server computer).

Then I proceeded to set up a dynamic dns service with Dyndns.org. I went and set up the domain:

######.dyndns.org

And set it to use my IP address. And then I set up the DynDNS updater service on Windows to automatically update my dynamic IP. But when I go in and type: ######.dyndns.org, nothing happens it just loads the page forever. Why??

Can someone help please...I think it might have something to do with my router, I have no clue. My router has built in DDNS services and it is configurable for dyndns but it just says connecting to server, please wait and nothing happens...

Do I select both TCP and UDP for protocols?

EDIT: Never mind, figured it out. Did TDP and it works. Now the problem is that my ZoneAlarm firewall is blocking the access somehow, because with the firewall disabled it works

EDIT2: I think I have to add the "######.dyndns.org" to the list of allowed hosts/sites right??

Open port 80 on Zone Alarm (aka "web server" port) to accept incoming conections from internet (wan) and remember the rules order are followed in ZA: put the "accept wan port 80" before any rule of "deny" type.

Not to blame you dude and just curiosity: I wondering how is this topic a Mac related one? (noob thoughts)

Hi ~pcwiz:

I'm using DynDNS (Dynamic DNS) Service for both my Windows and Mac hosts. I'm using the built-in Firewall for both Windows and Mac. I had to make an allowance for Port 80 for Web Page Sharing. On Mac, I'm using the built-in Apache Web Service. For Windows, I'm using the built-in IIS (Internet Information Services).

I did need to setup Port Forwarding on my router. I went to PortForward.com for help with my Router (Linksys).

I setup two hosts (one for Mac and one for Windows) that are essentially the same web page.

--danyel :)

Well I have ZoneAlarm Free, and the free edition doesn't let you open/close ports. I suppose I'll try adding ######.dyndns.org to the allowed list...

Might want to try a better firewall like Comodo.