Backup Webhost

7 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'm looking for a reliable webhost that is cheap and has a fast upload speed. I'd like to start backing up some of my music/videos/other files to the web so when I need something and I'm away I can access them. Also, I think it would just be good to have my files in one more separate place. I don't need a huge load of space (100gb should be fine). I thought about using .mac but I don't think it has enough space for me...The key is a fast upload speed so that it doesn't take years to upload some of my files. Also do webhosts delete files that could possibly maybe perhaps be torrented files?

Thanks for any and all suggestions,

Matt

Where can I read up about how to do that?

Also if I do end up getting a domain and hosting...which I probably will at some point...are there ones out there definitely better than others? And would hosting providers delete copyrighted material...say if I were to backup my music collection to the server.

Thanks for the help,

Matt

hecker that wouldn't do much good for him since he wants to back up his stuff, not just make it available over the web/home networks.

I think for your needs you would just want a cheap shared hosting...

I would recommend dreamhost, I run my website through there at: www.thisotherkingdom.com

If you check it out the speeds are good and everything for what it is...

I paid 25 bucks for my first year, but the following years will be 100 dollars a month or so I believe.

They give you 500 gb storage, and 1 tb bandwidth, and tons of goodies :D

Good luck. Mitch.

Where can I read up about how to do that?

Also if I do end up getting a domain and hosting...which I probably will at some point...are there ones out there definitely better than others? And would hosting providers delete copyrighted material...say if I were to backup my music collection to the server.

Thanks for the help,

Matt

I think for your needs you should get an external HDD for backup, might also want to use a free back-up service like box.net or Mozy (perhaps both) for the absolutely irreplaceable stuff. For remote access to your home machine, you can get a free sub-domain (so it'll be whatever.dyndns.com , or something of the life) to use to point to your home PC.

There are several ways you can share your stuff on the internet. Assuming you use OS X 10.4+, the only thing you have to do is go into System Preferences > Sharing, and check the appropriate box.

"Remote Login" is Apple's friendly name for SSH - the most secure, tho perhaps most intimidating method of sharing files for someone unfamiliar with a command-line. It's advantageous in that you can access any file on your system from anywhere. You can also login to a PC via SFTP - which stands for "Secure FTP," using programs like Transmit for OS X, or Filezilla for Windows, so you'll have a nice, easy GUI to use, and able to access files.

"Web Sharing" is just that - web sharing. It runs Apache2, a very popular web server. Anything in your /Users/Name/Sites/ folder will appear here, for anyone and everyone to see. There are, however, many security options so you can protect folders with usernames and passwords to keep everyone except yourself out. The advantage here is obviously if you're on a computer that's able to connect to the internet - you have a browser. Quite simple to access files.

"File Sharing" is Apple's friendly name for three different file sharing technologies - the one that will apply to you here would be FTP. FTP is less secure than SSH or SFTP, but it keeps everything private. Almost any system you connect from will have some sort of built-in FTP client, including Windows, OS X & other Unix variants/derivatives.

The best solution for you is a FTP server and an external HD by the looks of it, seeing as you want back up and access your files remotely. Like hecker said, some HDs come built in with FTP, but you can manually set up FTP using software like Speed Download 5 for mac.

Another solution is to use a free back up service as others have outlined. You can use free services like Mozy (2GB), Xdrive (5GB), and MediaMax (25GB). Theres even an app called gDrive that allows you to use the 6GB of storage given to you in your Gmail account to use for storing files.

The other good option is to set up a web server and dynamic DNS using a service like DynDNS.org.

Thanks for all the suggestions...

I currently have a mac mini and a hackintosh desk but will be getting a macbook pro and time capsule in the summer. I assume time capsule will not be able to be used as an FTP server...? But maybe I can set up my mac mini and an external (like time capsule) to be used as my FTP and backup drive. Would this be possible? Are there any good tuts out there to help me figure out what to do?

Also, is it possible to buy a domain like www.domain.com and have it redirect to my ftp server where all my files are located?

Thanks for all the help so far,

Matt