[HowTo] Leopard 10.5.1 On ASUS A8N/A8N-SLI/A8N32-SLI/Deluxe motherboard installation guide

LohnenNicht

125 posts in this topic

This guide is a work in progress. I'm having trouble finding all the files I need, and right now I'm too tired to look for them anymore. However, hopefully the guide is still usefull as it is of writing it, so I'm putting it up.

This guide assumes you are trying to get this thing working from either a Tiger installation on your osx86 or another actual macintosh. I use the iATKOS v1.0i iso. DO NOT USE ANY OTHER ISO WITH THIS GUIDE, THEY WON'T WORK. This guide is specifically written to show you how to install Leopard on your x86 machine with iATKOS v1.0i ISO

So many people have problems with nForce motherboards, especially this one in particular... so to make it easier for those with an asus A8n type motherboard here is a guide that will help you out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Setup:

-------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard: ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe

Chipset: nForce4

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (Venice, single core)

RAM: 1gb ddr3

video: nVidia GeForce 7900 GS PCI-e

Hard drives: 120 gb IDE w/fedora 64 core 6 linux and and windows xp professional.

80 gb IDE for Leopard

Ethernet: Marvel Yukon (port 2)

-------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prerequisites:

(1)st and foremost, of course we make sure we have the iAtkos 1.0i iso. Download it from the torrents if not. Make sure it is 1.0i, and not r2, otherwise your installation will fail. Don't use Zephyroth, as it might not work for you. It didn't for me.

(2)Download this file. (iATKOS-AMD.zip)

(3)Extract the file "iAtkos-AMD.zip" to your desktop. Open the extracted iAtkos-AMD folder. Using the "PPFMaster" program included in the extractor folder, patch the iAtkos 1.0i ISO with the iATKOS_v1.0i_AMD_Test.ppf.

**Note: If PPFmaster does not work for you, then download PPF-O-MATIC from here

If that doesn't work, try the windows version which you will find here. It's an exe so you must run it in windows.

**NOTE: Some people are reporting that they can't get the iATKOS iso to boot from DVD. I actually used an external hard drive and restored the patched ISO to a partition on it. I was able to boot from it and install iATKOS that way. If you don't have an external hard drive, then try creating a partition on your internal hard drive, about 6 gigs, and restore the patched iATKOS ISO to that and boot from it with PC_EFI_V80 loader. Instructinos no how to do so are at the bottom of this post, under "dual booting guide".***

Ok, if you decided to go through with the DVD-RW option, burn the ISO to a DVD and try to boot from it.

Installation

(4)From within the Mac OS X Installer, open disk utility and format your desired hard drive for Leopard, make sure you have the partition options set to "Master Boot Record" and the make sure you set the Volume to "Leopard".

***YOU MUST SET THE VOLUME TO "Leopard" OTHERWISE THE PATCH FILES WILL NOT WORK***

(5)Exit disk utility and proceed to installation. Make sure to select customize to install nvinject, and remove thermal and powermanagement kexts else your system will get f*cked. Select the Marvel Yukon package, and select ntfsg3 package. Install Leopard onto your Leopard volume. It will take over an hour so go play and then come back here.

Post Install:

(6)Ok, it's all installed, and the computer should have rebooted itself. At boot time press any key to enter boot option menu, and type "-f -v -s". This will put you in single user mode.

(7)Now, type

/sbin/fsck -yf

/sbin/mount -uw /

(8)place the "patches" folder you extracted from the iAtkos-AMD.zip on your root directory "/". Replace the System.kext, AppleSMBIOS.kext, IOATAFamily.kext, forcedeth.kext in your Leopard's partition /System/Library/Extensions folder with the kexts included in the iATKOS-AMD folder. Repair permissions for them by typing

chown -R 0:0 System.kext 
  chmod -R 755 System.kext

chown -R 0:0 AppleSMBIOS.kext 
  chmod -R 755 AppleSMBIOS.kext

chown -R 0:0 forcedeth.kext 
  chmod -R 755 forcedeth.kext

chown -R 0:0 IOATAFamily.kext 
  chmod -R 755 IOATAFamily.kext

(9)Replace "mach_kernel" on your "/" directory on your Leopard partition with the "mach_kernel" included in the iATKOS-AMD folder. Repair persmission on that the same way above.

(10)next, type

cd /patches
  ./replace.sh
  ./patcher cpuid.txt

(11)Type

cd /System/Library/Extensions
 nano GeForce.kext/Contents/info.plist

(12)Edit the string

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
<string>0x000010de&0x0000ffff</string>

to your nVidia graphics card's device ID. Make sure to delete the &0x0000ffff after your device id. This is the vendor ID and it may look a little different in your info.plist but it doesn't matter because we have to delete it.

I have a geforce 7900gs so my id was 0x0292. So the newly edited line looks like:

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
<string>0x029210de</string>

Save the file. Now type:

nano NVDAresman.kext/Contents/info.plist

The lines in this file are a little different from the previous ones, edit your Device ID again in THIS line:

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

With an nVidia GeForce 7900GS card, the newly edited line will look like:

Save the file

Now do the same for NVDANV40Hal.kext:

nano NVDANV40Hal.kext/Contents/info.plist

Edit the following lines in NVDAN40Hal.kext/Contents/info.plist for your Device ID:

With an nVidia GeForce 7900GS card, the newly edited line will look like:

Save the file.

Now do the same exact same steps above for NVINJECT.kext. Save the file.

(13)Reboot.

(14)This time at boot time, press a key, and then type "-f -v" to start your iAtkos installation. It should have worked unless you did something wrong.

***Note: If the Setup Assistant hangs and you have to hard reboot, then reboot into single user mode with:

boot: -f -v -s (enter)

(wait for bash screen)

/sbin/mount -uw /
  passwd
  (type your password, twice)
  touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
  exit

The system should log you into a root login screen, where you can login with your root password and create your own user account from System Preferences. If it doesn't, you did something wrong.

(15)Enjoy your new Leopard AMD installation!

Dual booting guide:

For those of you who have a similar setup to mine and want to dual/triple/quad/blah boot, you can use pc_efi_v80 to get it to work. I use grub, so I put the pc_efi_v80 files in /boot partition on my linux installation, and editing /boot/grub/menu.list to load it. You can use this guide: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=73952 to set up the EFI boot loader on your hard drive if you have a working installation of mac os x already, or if yiou have a working bootable osx86 dvd to use the startupfiletool and disk utility.

If you don't have either, then just download GRUB from here: http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/ and install it to your hard drive's MASTER BOOT RECORD. Make a boot partiion and put the PC_EFI_v80 folder on there.

Then edit the grub menu.plist file to look like this:

title Mac OSx86 10.5.1
root (hd0,1)			###this is the first hard disk, and the first partition "/boot"
kernel /pc_efi_v80/boot_v8
boot

Save and reboot, and select your OSX86 to boot. Immediately after you select it, a menu will pop up asking you to select your disk within 2 seconds. Make sure you select the hard drive your leopard installation is on. If your Leo installation on the same hard drive as your other operating systems, then just let it automatically boot. if you don't have Leo installation on the same hard drive, then select the disk you have it on, by entering a hexidecimal code. 80 is for master hard drive, 81 is for second, 82 is for 3rd, and so on. So basically your /boot/grub/menu.lst file should look something like this:

title Mac OSx86 10.5.1
root (hd1,2)			 ###or hd2,2 or wherever you have your pc_efi_v80 installed
kernel /pc_efi_v80/boot_v8
boot

All done. Enjoy!

Here's a pic of my completed installation:

zl41p1.gif

thanks a lot for this guide i m deseperatly trying to install leo on this board for a friend :censored2:

though we need the amd_test_1.zip to make it usable !!

3)Next, download this patch (amd_test_1.zip) and this (pc_efi_v80) and extract them both to your desktop. Move the patcher folder onto your Leopard partition's root disk

so we need to prepare the HD before installing leo on another comp ?

can t we start from scratch ?

thanks a lot for this guide i m deseperatly trying to install leo on this board for a friend :censored2:

though we need the amd_test_1.zip to make it usable !!

so we need to prepare the HD before installing leo on another comp ?

can t we start from scratch ?

Of course you can. But it's best to have some kind of medium where you can install the files before you get the LAN working. You can use a cd-rom, but it's best to have dual-boot setup. Alternatively you could use an external HD (I used it to install iAtkos from scratch) or a USB flash key. You need to get the 'patch' folder on the leo hard drive. I'll put up the links when I find them.

go here for PPF-O-Matic. It's an exe so you must run it in windows.

I am using os x without windows install...can I patch this file in any other way than ppf master

i get this error:

i put both iso and ppf in same folder...its a same thing if they are separated...

errorth4.png

Hi guys!

first i will say sorry for my poor english and mistakes those come - thanks for your patient!

My System:

ASUS A8N32SLI

AMD FX-60 Dualcore (Standart Clock)

4GB OCZ Ram's

Geforce 7800 GTX

Samsung 500GB (Sata HD)

LG Multi DVD (IDE)

RME HDSP 9632 (PCI Audiointerface) and Soundblaster X-FI Platinum

WindowsXP Professional

I would like to install Lepoard to my PC but i have many problems.

If it's possible to make it bootable twice, what i mean is the possibility to switch everytime i want back to WinXP

I've prepared a HD Partition F:\ called "Leopard" and it was formated in FAT32

The current version of Bios (1405) already is installed.

This is the Version of OSX which i have burned on a DVD-R Mac OSX Leopard v10.5.1 PC/AMD (Zephyroth) also the german.pkg language file and for security i keep ready a Full Version of Max OSX also the "Mac OS X Leopard v10.5.1 OSx86 Intel Kalyway" - one can never know

At my first attempt to install OSX Leopard, (DVD in the DVD-Recorder, Switch on the PC) Darwin asks me press "Enter" or "F8" (with auto countdown started). When i press nothing it shows me following Picture. I tried it also with F8, then -x, begins to load much stuff, after that Darwin shows me always the same info. (Everything in Bios switched off - Lan etc. )

Extension "com.apple.driver.ACPI_SNC_PlattformPlugin" has imediate dependencies on both com.apple.Kernel and com.apple.kpi compents; use only one style

Pls Guys, help me out!!!

If it's important to use first a Mac OSX Tiger Version, someone has rapishare.com links for me? 

post-186504-1203038872_thumb.jpg    post-186504-1203038829_thumb.jpg

Yeah....didn't work with my PC. The PPF and ISO do not contain the nForce SATA drivers. It didn't recognize my hard drives at all.

Specs

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3

Chipset: nForce 430

Graphics: GeForce 6150

HD: 2x 250 GB Seagate SATA drives

Network: nForce LAN

@LohnenNicht

- i've procured iATKOS v1.0i

- unpacked the Iso-File

- using "ppf-o-matic3.exe" i've patchted the Iso-file with "iATKOS_v1.0i_AMD_Test.ppf"

- burned on DVD-R (Nero) & booted the System with it.

If i don't press anything, after a bit the system shows me the grey apple and then against freezed Picture

post-186504-1203051596_thumb.jpg

I'm forced to do a cold boot. This time i decide the option "F8" and type -v -x and it show's me the same problem like before

post-186504-1203051572_thumb.jpg

:)

alright, well this is how I did it. I made a small partition on an external hard drive and patched the iso. I then used disk utility to restore the newly patched iso to the partition on the external hard drive, and I was able to boot from it with no problem.

Try that. If you don't have external hard drive, about 6 gigs, then try to create a partition on your internal hard drive, patch the iATKOS ISO, and restore it to the partition you created. Boot from it using the pc_efi_v80 loader. There's no reason why it wouldn't work. That's how I did it.