Fanboy-ness

Gabotron

10 posts in this topic

Hey there. As you may have noticed, I just created an account here but dont get me wrong, I have been lurking around for a while :rolleyes: First, let me introduce my self with my computing experience in the past 10 years: I've been using, at home, Windows (from 95 to Vista), a bunch of different linux boxes used for different purposes (usually salvaging old {censored} and turning them into LAMP servers for web development, ftp servers, firewalls...) and a few Macs at work/school. Now, don't "judge" me, I am not coming here to {censored} or stir drama. I'm actually coming here to ask a fairly simple question that I have yet to got a decent answer to. Basicly: what is the purpose of "spreading the word" for your OS (be it Linux, Windows or Mac).

See, I have always been very passionated with computers. I have assembled and took apart more computers than I can count on my fingers and toes, I have messed with most OSes (Windows and Linux mostly, however as I have never had the need for an actual mac box...yet! Who knows.). I have, of course, during those years, found things that irritated me or pleased me, if not straight up pissed off. Thing is though, while I enjoy discussing some of those issues on the internet while seeking advices, there often was this Linux or Mac guy basicly saying: "that because you are using Windows! Get a new computer newb." While this, of course, isn't representative of all Mac users and since I have seen countless "Windows guys" talking {censored} about the mac guy over some retarded issues, it is fair to assume that every side of the fence has its share of dumbasses.

Lets take an example of something you may be familiar with as most of you have been hanging on this forum for a while. Once again, I hope you guys will NOT take offense to this as it is not intended. Some unexperienced guy writes on a forum that is Vista PC has went down the drain, he has got many spywares and virii bloating it and he is seeking advices to fix its problem. Now some people may actually reply with real advices such as way to get rid of all those malwares. However, chances are that a guy will come and say: "Heh, I got a mac. I am immune to all of those things, you should consider switching!" Now, when I see these I just get so pissed because, unless the poster asked for help on finding a new computer to replace it's broken one, the Mac guy didn't helped at all. Chances are that he heard an ad, misinterpreted it and repeated it like a parrot. That's like hearing Windows fanboys taking part in a legit conversation and saying that Macs can't play games at all. Now, we all know that both of these statements are false: no OS, whatever it is, is immune to virii and bugs. And macs now have different means to play recent videogames.

Now, out of those people trolling and spreading those lies, some are just outright dumb and are clueless about it. Those tend to be the ones basicly repeated any ads and taking them for facts. The rest, however, are usually people that take their "love" for operating to a whole new level, talking about it like, be it Vista or Mac, it is 21th century's messiah and savior.

Unfortunately, those people tend to be the most vocal ones. We are all familiar with them, they are everywhere. Now, back to the question: what is their purpose. Why are they doing this? I mean, its an OS meant to exploit hardware. It is not a lifestyle or something that defines you, right? Why are people CHOOSING to be part of the marketing teams of whatever company and doing their job, for free? What benefit is there to waste all this time trying to "educate" people while chances are to your computer usage will limit to your bedroom at home or your office at work making it POINTLESS that the guy oversea uses the same OS as me? Why should an independant company's market shares define if I am right or wrong? Operating systems ought to be chosen according to one's needs and budget, not to get accepted in a community, right?

I wonder if other people feel the same way.

What makes people become fanboys? I couldn't tell you for certain but it's probably the same genetic crossed wires that plagues overzealous football fans (both real and American football). In your examples it's not the message that's irritating (because let's face it, they're both slight distortions of the truth), it's the motivation and the condescending attitudes that can be upsetting.

Hi Gabotron:

An Apple/Windows/Linux/{insert OS here} fanboy is one thing (annoying maybe). Although choosing an OS is based on one's needs and budget, the choice is also based on one's preferences and can be subjective. I use Windows and Linux at work, and Mac and Windows at home.

Since I've installed Mac OSx86 on my PC over 2 year ago, I've become somewhat of a "fan" of the Mac OS. I've subscribed to couple Mac Magazines and even attend local Mac Users Group. Even though I am a fan, I don't put down other OS'es (frankly because I use them also).

So it is possible to be a "fan" without being a "fanboy".

--danyel ;)

Oh, I am totally aware and I do respect that also! However, my question is not a mere generalization, but it is exactly about the differences between the two kind of people. Those, like you, that are passionate, and those, the fanboys, that took that passion to a whole new level by literally preaching about it whenever they have a chance while putting down the others.

Don't get me wrong, I understand you point entirely :)

Fanboyism, it's simpler than you think, and it has a fairly simple origin. It all begins when you find something that you like, like a good application for instance. It's simple, works great, and the more you use it, the more it grows on you. You can see where I'm going with this. Eventually, after finding no better alternative to what one has used for a long time, one can come to the conclusion that what he has is pretty much the best there is. This represents the early stages of a "fanboy". Becoming a fanboy isn't something that happens overnight y'know. It takes years and years of... cultivation so to speak, to develop a mature fanboy. I'm exaggerating almost entirely on this point but you get the idea.

So naturally, when one comes along with something "better", the fanboy usually attempts to herald his own beliefs before the masses. Why? None can say. Perhaps to convert more fanboys? Whatever the case, it is likely that the core of fanboyism comes from the fact that people don't like to be wrong, because if they were, that would mean that what they have really isn't the best, which means that they would have to either change their ways, or be left behind. Like in the case of Windows fanboys vs Apple/Mac fanboys. Neither side's fanboys know any better, don't like to be wrong, or lesser than the other, and thus refuse to admit defeat regardless of who is the real winner, if there's even a winner at all. Both sides would bash the other in some way while touting all the reasons why their side is better. Conflict can also give rise to fanboys. No one really likes to constantly choose between sides, so one often picks one and sticks with it, thus, beginning one's path towards becoming a fanboy.

Such is the sad truth of our society, but there will always be fanboys. The best one can do is try to enlighten the unsuspecting fanboy, and show him the error of his ways. Though I wouldn't recommend this to the faint of heart, because here thar be drag- FLAME WARS!!

That's still not as bad as fanboys in other technological fields, namely game consoles. Look at the console fanboys. "Lulz, Xbox 360 superior framerates, weak RSX", or PS3 fanboys "THE p0w3r of teh 1337 CELL and BLURAY".

Why do I think it is. I think people do it as a reason to justify their own purchase. Even if they're satisfied and know their decision was right, and NEVER regret it, they still want to justify it and make others on the internet agree.

If you are a fanboy, you are not a true computer master :D Fanboyishness = love for specific OS. Real computer geniuses (If I do say so myself :D jk jk) like a wide array of OSes including OS X, Windows, Linux, maybe even FreeBSD and BeOS :)

Now, back to the question: what is their purpose. Why are they doing this? I mean, its an OS meant to exploit hardware. It is not a lifestyle or something that defines you, right? Why are people CHOOSING to be part of the marketing teams of whatever company and doing their job, for free? What benefit is there to waste all this time trying to "educate" people while chances are to your computer usage will limit to your bedroom at home or your office at work making it POINTLESS that the guy oversea uses the same OS as me? Why should an independant company's market shares define if I am right or wrong? Operating systems ought to be chosen according to one's needs and budget, not to get accepted in a community, right?

You hardly mention Linux or open source here. But if you want to know why open source users like to "spread the word" (better than calling them fanboys), it is pretty simple: it is part of mankind fight for freedom.

If you use Windows, you are endorsing a Company which feels more and more like Big Brother (although it is pretty clear now that their plans for world domination have become pretty shaky).

If you use OS X, you have more freedom regarding the use of the OS, but at the same time you are accepting a vendor lock-in, which from a practical point of view can be even worse than using Windows (here is where osx86 enters and gives you back part of your freedom. The legality issues are well known, although if you buy a copy of OS X and install it on your PC, you are merely "in breach of EULA", something which isn't even recognized by many countries).

If you use Linux and open source, you'll enjoy the well known freedoms:

1)Freedom as in free beer. This is not irrelevant: consider that Debian alone comes with more than 22,000 free applications! (plus all the others which are not debs). OK, I know that Linux doesn't have a lot of "commercial grade" applications, but that is another story.

2)The freedoms given to you by the GPL: freedom to use the software, redistribute it, modify it...

I am not even mentioning the freedom that you get because Linux supports basically almost any hardware.

Concluding: when a mature, self-aware open source user "spreads the word", he/she does so in the hope to contribute to the general freedom of the planet.