8800 GT, buy from places other than Apple?

iMags

12 posts in this topic

I just got a new Mac Pro :wacko:, but the graphics card sucks the {censored} out of me...

The new NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT for Mac Pro ships in 5-7 weeks... That's many lonely saturdays, sundays and even mondays ;)..

Soo.. Can I buy the 8800 GT another place? I´ve heard that the 8800 GTX works with the Mac Pro hardware, but not with Mac OS X, only in Windows, via Boot Camp. Is that fixed now, with the new 8-core Mac Pros?

Can I buy any graphics card with the NVIDIA 8800 GT-chipset?

You'll need an adapter to plug into the motherboard.

I'm assuming this one works on new Mac Pros - http://www.welovemacs.com/9227128.html however I've not personally tried it. I do know a standard cable will not plug into the motherboard as the sockets on the motherboard are too small.

I personally went with the 8800GT direct, just since I want to have it in OS X too and haven't seen a ROM from the real Apple one anywhere. I'd ponder flashing a PC one with an Apple ROM anyway if I could. Even with a 10% discount it ends up being a lot more vs. a standard PC 8800GT.

Yes you can use non-Apple video cards, but you'll only be able to use them in Windows. At least that is my impression... Now, if there were firmware dumps of Apple cards out there you could probably flash and then use even a non-Apple card in OS X.

And you'd need the power cable I linked above. The other problem is you'd need to leave another card in just to boot OS X if you go with a PC card in the Mac Pro.

At some point I'm sure we'll see some firmware dumps out there, just wish it was sooner than later.