yoyo55

MAC Sucess Or Not?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Mac Installation

• Success :) (Working Properly)
    • Failure :( (Not Working Properly)

13 posts in this topic

Hi YoYo55:

I have installed somewhat older version of Mac OS X (Myzar 10.4.6) on several machines with varying levels of success.

Installation Method: Native Boot and install from Myzar 10.4.6 DVD-ROM. Used Disk Utility to create two partitions (Mac OS Exteneded and FAT32). After instaling Mac OS X, then installed Windows XP SP2 using CD-ROM -or- from Ghost Image (at work).

My Home PC: MSI mPC 915 - Everything worked out of the box including Graphics (Full Resolution, Core Image and Quartz Extreme), Sound, Networking, Wireless and even the Card Reader.

My Work PC: Dell Optiplex GX-260 - Almost everything worked out of the box including Graphics (standard 1024x768), Sound and Networking. Installed an old NVidia MX-4400 PCI Card and MacVidia 1.0.7 Drivers. Graphics now at Full Resolution (1440x900) but does not support Core Image nor Quartz Extreme.

My Work Laptop: Dell Inspiron 1300 - Almost everything worked out of the box including Graphics (Full Resolution, Core Image and Quartz Extreme) and Networking. Wireless Ethernet was enabled using Broadband hack. Sound is not functioning.

--danyel :)

I have a Toshiba Satellite A135-S2256

80 GB SATA 50GB for Vista Ultimate

30GB for Leopard (If It ever works)

ATI Xpress 200M

1GB DDR2

1.73GHz Intel Celeron M

I've tried a few installations, first one wouldnt even boot the DVD would get the "still waiting on root device" message

Second would boot DVD run thru loader then as soon as the Apple screen popped up, it'd reboot.

The most recent one I've tried will boot the DVD, run to the apple loading screen, the spinning circle will run for about 30 seconds then a circle with a line through it pops up in the middle of the screen and it goes no further.. Help Would be greatly appreciated.

I've Custom PC:

I installed with DVD 10.5.1 of KalyWay:

PC: DFI BLOOD IRON T2RL; Processor E2160 overclocked to 3,2Ghz (i will buy Q6600), Ram 2GB (2x1GB) Kingston 667,2 HD Maxtor 160GB and Western Digital 250GB ; Ati X1950PRO (I've Installed with Toruga Driver)ALL WORKING ; Audio ALC885 (i've installed with Apple HDA Patcher) ALL WORKING;Ethernet of motherboard work without packs; i've Seagate Pro External HD USB 320GB and pen USB 1 GB...ALL WORKING!!!

I'm very Lucky! ;)

Drive

The first OSX installs I did were with the Tiger 10.4.6 (goatsecx) install DVD. I put this on my turion laptop & my main pc (p4).

I then built my own Core2Duo to get further into using mac OSX (you can see spec in my sig). I installed 10.4.6 using the same disk as before and it didn't take long to find the drivers on this forum :( I also updated to 10.4.7 & 10.4.8 without any problems using custom kernels etc.

Now I'm on leopard using the kalyway DVD with the apple kernel and so far it has been stable and amazingly fast, no problems installing or anything. I also didn't need to download any extra drivers.

1) Stick drive in FW case.

2) Attach to GF's macbook.

3) Use her Retail Leo to install onto the FW drive.

4) Add netkas' PC_EFI and dsmos.kext & AppleSMBIOS.kext to your drive.

5) Take out of FW case and put into your hacky.

6) Turn hacky on... Voilá, 10.5 goodness on PC.

7) Patch sound etc as needed.

That way you know why and what you changed in OS X. The problem with pre-patched DVDs is that they have been so gutted and hacked to pieces (I'm looking at you iAtkos/Kalyway crews) you have no idea why things fail to work or , for the matter, why they work in the first place. So next time an apple update overwrites some stuff and you loose your sound/ethernet/usb vibrator you won't know where to start troubleshooting.

• 1 month later...
I've Custom PC:

I installed with DVD 10.5.1 of KalyWay:

PC: DFI BLOOD IRON T2RL; Processor E2160 overclocked to 3,2Ghz (i will buy Q6600), Ram 2GB (2x1GB) Kingston 667,2 HD Maxtor 160GB and Western Digital 250GB ; Ati X1950PRO (I've Installed with Toruga Driver)ALL WORKING ; Audio ALC885 (i've installed with Apple HDA Patcher) ALL WORKING;Ethernet of motherboard work without packs; i've Seagate Pro External HD USB 320GB and pen USB 1 GB...ALL WORKING!!!

I'm very Lucky! :)

Drive

DriveTheOne,

I built a built a system with the Blood Iron with a Q6600 using Kalyway 10.5.1. I upgraded to 10.5.2 using the Netkas method. Everything works but sound. I used 1.20 of the applehda patcher and a alc885 codec I found here on this board, but it still doesnt work.

What version of the apple hda patcher did you use? where did you get the codec from ?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

• 1 month later...

Mine is a custom built PC.

Here is the system Info:

MB - Asus P4P800-E

CPU: Intel Prescott 3.0 Ghz HT

Memory : 3GB

HD - 2 IDE, 1 SATA

Graphics card : ATI Radeon x800XT AIW AGP

Sound: Built in realtek AC'97

Installed OS: Kalyway 10.5.2 Leopard

Any other OS: Dual boot with XP

I downloaded the Kalyway, burnt into DVD. I had XP installed in the hard disk. I turned on the PC and put the disk in the dvd drive. It booted from DVD and went therough the first text scrolling phase and then died after the ACPI line. It won't reboot. Just sit there.

Went back to bios, set the USB 2.0 to full speed and ACPI 2.0 disabled. Restarted the PC and it went to the install screen and I didn't choose any patch. Just plain simple install and it went smooth. After install, it would boot to mac. After that I modified the boot.ini in Xp added the line C:\chain.0 = "Mac 86" and tried to copy the chain.0 file from the dvd. The kalyway dvd didn't have that somehow or Xp could not see it. I downloaded it from internet and put it in the root of the XP partition. Rebooted the PC. It would ask me to choose between XP and mac. When I choose mac, it won't boot. Just blinking cursor!

Downloaded and burnt GPART cd and used that to look at the booting sector. The mac partition was set bootable. I changed it to XP partition and rebooted. Now I had mac starting up nicely after chosing mac from the option.

Next was network card. Downloaded skeg.kext file and dropped into Extension directory. immediately network came alive.

Next was graphics card. I downloaded callisto 0008 and changed the device id to my device id. Repaired the permission and reboot. Now I can see 1280x1024 resolution and can be chosen from the display dialog. However, quartz extreme does not work. I need some help in that regard.

USB 2.0 is working at full speed. So is printer and I am all set:)

Also, I would like to thank many people in the irc channel giving me immense help to make things work when i asked any question. Even they went into the trouble to find me the forum post links so that I can read them and get an idea.

Thank you guys!