Best (cheap) usb sound card for leopard?

13 posts in this topic

Im going to get myself a usb sound card so i can rock out on my leo install, but i dont know exactly what to get. Im new to teh whole external hardware thing (i like my pci cards) but it would be good to learn since my friend is looking for a usb tv capture card, anway, im way off the main point now... I dont need anything fancy, just basic 1 input/1 ouput/ 2 channel. I plan on buying from amazon since i have a gift card. I'd like to spend less than $20 but i dont want anything that sucks. Do usb sound card do midi? That would be a huge plus.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st?keywords...&sort=price is the general list of what they offer. Anyone know what i should get?

This looks cool, but i dont know if leo will like it, and its not usb...: http://www.amazon.com/Mounted-Functional-M...988&sr=1-16

Creative X-mod is a good option but damn expensive Icemat sound cards work on mac os x I think and i myself using Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX which i bought at a very cheap price.Try ebay u may find something real cheap.

Pretty much any cheapo usb sound card will work. The Behringer range is recommeded if you want something with quality, and are prepared to pay a bit more, like the UCA202. They also do midi interfaces.

I like behringer. I had some of their equipment in my guitar rig but had to sell it. The UCA202 is only like $25-30 which isnt bad. I think ill just go for that. Its a good quality so maybe i can use my hackintosh for recording.... Sounds cool. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

i've been busy for a while but i still have some questions because i have no idea what im doing :(

With my onboard ac97 soundcard i have no midi playback at all, which is really important to me because i use GuitarPro to help compose music and without midi that program (as well as alot of other music programs) is kinda useless. So if i pick up a cheap usb soundcard (like one of those crappy $5 ones) will i be able to playback midi files, or will i have to opt for a more expensive one, or am i screwed?

I like behringer. I had some of their equipment in my guitar rig but had to sell it. The UCA202 is only like $25-30 which isnt bad. I think ill just go for that. Its a good quality so maybe i can use my hackintosh for recording.... Sounds cool. Thanks!

I used one in one of my friend's builds. I highly recommend it.

With my onboard ac97 soundcard i have no midi playback at all, which is really important to me because i use GuitarPro to help compose music and without midi that program (as well as alot of other music programs) is kinda useless. So if i pick up a cheap usb soundcard (like one of those crappy $5 ones) will i be able to playback midi files, or will i have to opt for a more expensive one, or am i screwed?

anyone know? I know im probably being a pain in the ass, but i have enough money to get either a good usb sound card, or a cheap usb sound card and the orange box for ps3. Cant afford both right now unfortunately. So i kinda need to know if a cheap one will cover me or if something like the creative labs 24bit external card is what i need....

Thanks for the input so far!

• 3 weeks later...

I got one of these...

6 days to deliver, and working in Tiger and Leopard! I like the fact that it doesn't "stickout" anywhere!

I also got one of their SATA/IDE to USB converters + PSU just for fun, and it works great on 3,5 2,5 and SATA drives

http://cgi.ebay.ch/USB-2-0-Music-Audio-Mic...1742.m153.l1262

StiCMAN

I got one of these...

6 days to deliver, and working in Tiger and Leopard! I like the fact that it doesn't "stickout" anywhere!

I also got one of their SATA/IDE to USB converters + PSU just for fun, and it works great on 3,5 2,5 and SATA drives

http://cgi.ebay.ch/USB-2-0-Music-Audio-Mic...1742.m153.l1262

StiCMAN

I bought the exact same thing, it works pretty well. The sound gets considerably amplified, enough for me to plug in two speakers with no built-in amplifier. So happy with that, hassle-free solution.

Also works out of the box with Vista.

• 1 year later...