Help with Acer 5672

50 posts in this topic

Since my old laptop died, i did buy a new one. The acer 5672

http://global.acer.com/products/notebook/as5670.htm

The install went wel (i installed macosx_10.4.3_8f1111a_JaS_Patch_4.2b) only i got a few non working. The video, audio, and network/internet

Specs:

Intel® Mobile Pentium® processor Centrino™ Duo T2300 1.66GHz (Yonah Core, SSE3 compatible)

Intel 945PM Chipset

15.4TFT WXGA 16ms CrystalBrite (1280x800),

1024MB DDR II RAM (2x512),

80GB HDD Sata

Wired Broadcom 100/1000 Ethernet

Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG

128MB ATI X1400

Realtek HD Audio

Is it possible to get, the video working (1280x800), to get internet working (trough cable or wireless) and the audio?

I updated my ati drivers, with the 10.4.4 kext drivers, like the site said, but the osx isn't booting anymore. It keeps on loading on the grey loading screen. I'm using the acronis dualboot method, is there a way to fix this problem or do i have to reinstall again ?

*update*

I reinstalled it again, and i got my broadcom working. thanx to tinman.

http://www.win2osx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2380

copy the AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext into the IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins

sudo -s

rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

Up to the next :)

[Edit - Attachment removed, Apple copyright kexts are not permitted.]

Edited by 0uch!p0tat0

Seems like the safe bet is still buying a Mac laptop, and customized a PC desktop running OS X...

I fixed it again. I did pull of the power + the battery and now its working again. Probably it did go in safe mode afther getting to hot ( i had it on the couch with the fan on the bottom) and it goes out of that safe mode when it totally powerless. So back to the drivers :D

I updated my ati drivers, with the 10.4.4 kext drivers, like the site said, but the osx isn't booting anymore. It keeps on loading on the grey loading screen. I'm using the acronis dualboot method, is there a way to fix this problem or do i have to reinstall again ?

*update*

I reinstalled it again, and i got my broadcom working. thanx to tinman.

http://www.win2osx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2380

copy the AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext into the IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins

sudo -s

rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

Up to the next :D

I was a bit to quick i think, its not working...

Ati X1400

M54

Ven_1002

Dev_7145

Broadcom Netlink Gigabit

Ven_14e4

Dev_169D

Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG

Ven_8086

Dev_4222

Realtek High Definition Audio

Ven_10EC

DEV_0883

Broadcom Netlink Gigabit

Ven_14e4

Dev_169D

I edited AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext with my Id's but when i load it, it give me about 5 dependency errors. Somone know how to fix those, because i think that's my problem from getting it not work.

com.apple.kpi.mach = 1

I can't paste from OSX to my windows directory so i can't save the txt file with all dependency errors, but somone knows a way to fix those?

• 3 weeks later...

I just got the same laptop (Acer 5672) and am trying to get the sound, network, and video cards working as well. If you have any working fixes or suggestions please post them.

Right now I am running 10.4.3 but am trying to get 10.4.4 running but have not been able to yet.

I also have the same laptop. I did the ghost install of 10.4.4 and will work on getting everything else working. Any tips would be of great help.

Any updates with this notebook? I just did the 10.4.4 native install with the 10.4.4 DVD ISO and it worked but I got several .kext errors when it booted up sayting they were not installed correctly. They seemed to be all related to the keyboard, trackpad etc.

I would love network, sound, and video support so please update this thread if you find any working solutions.

It seems that MacOS on x86 is useless for me so far.

• 3 weeks later...

Check the wiki for sound, there's a link there on how to get it working.

All of the discussion of switching minipci cards got me interested, as I was using a toshiba A65, which was slow as h*** but networking was good (wireless and wires) on 10.4.4.

So I popped open both laptops. The Toshiba did have a Atheros MiniPCI. Unfortunately, the Intel 3945 ABG is not a standard miniPCI -- the interface is about half the size. Hmm. I don't know enough about newer laptop hardware to know if this is just a new standard or something peculiar to the acer.

- Edited -- Found this link, here is a picture of the card in the Acer. Not the same form factor as MiniPCI. Don't know if anyone else uses it. :(

http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/...less_mobile.htm

Will read up on it. If I could swap out that card I would be happy. In the meantime, I think I'll pick up a USB wireless adapter in the morning, so I can at least get online.

• 2 weeks later...

hello

I am kinda new at this, but i have been lurking around this forum for about a week since when i got my 5672. :withstupid:

i got the audio working and now i'm working on ethernet/wifi/video

but right now ethernet is #1.

anyways i have installed the 10.4.4 which is pathced to 10.4.5 which goes around as: MacOSX_10.4.4DVDPATCHED_Myz.iso

i have noticed that TheMessiah mentioned copying AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext into the IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins folder or w/e it's called.,

well i already had it there. i'm wondering if it's edited or something

btw the one that i have there i already have edited with my dev and ven id's

i also downloaded and installed MaC.OsX.10.4.5.Universal.Install.DVD(INTEL_AMD_SSE3_SSE2)

but this one i didn't keep since the keyboard and trackpad weren't working. there was some problem with the Apple...PS2.kext

external usb keyboard and mouse worked but it was too cumbersome.

so i am hoping someone can reply to my initial question about the AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext, i would like to know if it is anything special, if yes would one of you please email it to neopran [at] gmail [dot] com

thanks a lot

in the mean time i'll try other things....good luck and keep on hacking :P

did any of you get their video working properly ?

Not yet, unfortunately. Too bad, because now that I've got wireless I'm working in OSX almost all the time. Two main issues because of the video -- can't load DVD's, and have this strange stretched screen (which makes it hard to do decent web design and be able to eyeball proportions.

Maybe I can convince the boss to buy a macbook pro once they work out the kinks.

Until I can replace the internal card with an atheros one, I picked up a usb wireless -- D-Link DWL-G122. Search the forums on "Ra-link" chipset, you have to download the drivers for the usb adapter from their website. OSX doesn't see it as an airport adapter, rather as a built in ethernet.

Progress on the 5672. I thought I might try out some of the 10.4.3 or 10.4.4 extensions. I still had 25 GB unpartitioned on my drive, because I figured I might use it for Linux at some point, so I went to load the 10.4.3 patched cd.

When the system boots from the 10.4.3 CD, it recognized the built in broadcom gigabit ethernet card, which 10.4.5 does not.

The bad news is, I haven't gotten to 10.4.3 installation to boot. But, if I can just figure out which extensions we need from 10.4.3, might be able to get the built in ethernet to work properly. More soon....

I did get the sound working, but i totally removed the OSX from my laptop. So i have no osx running anymore. I try to remember how i did get the sound fixed for you guys.

*edit

Found it

945G's Realtek ALC882 instructions for 10.4.3 (8f1111)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To get 2- channel sound you have to move AppleHDA.kext out of the Extensions Folder and replace the AzaliaAudio with this one, repair permissions and enable sound in the bios.

Installation instructions

----------------------

Download the file

unzip the file to your desktop

open terminal

do the following:

sudo -s

enter your password

cp -r /system/library/extensions/AppleHDA.kext /system/library/extensions.disabled

cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext /System/Library/Extensions.disabled

cp -R /Users/YOUR USER NAME HERE/Desktop/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/

then you're done!!!

reboot system

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext.zip

thanks for the tip TheMessiah, but already had it working :)

keep up the good work milesce,

btw what is the image name of the 10.4.3 vesrion that you tried?

i tried 10.4.3 some time back but i'm not sure about it exactly

anyways maybe you can get ethernet to work on 10.4.4 or even 10.4.5

good luck

has anyone tried to use the ionetworking kext out of 10.4.5? i havent found out what chipset the wifi is in macbook, but my first guess would be the 3945, so maybe that will get our wireless to work. and what about the camera? anyone got it working?

• 3 weeks later...