Best logic CPU

MrMacMan

7 posts in this topic

Couldn't give you a real world answer as I dont' have an E8400, although I can confirm that logic does use all 4 cores of a Q6600 and it's possible to get an overclock of 3.6ghz on air with the G0 stepping CPU, prolly more if you want to get really geeky and waste some good tune writing time.. I'd guess that the Q6600 will kick an E8400's batty providing at least 25% extra headroom, but it is just a guess.

Not quite sure where you heard that MrMacMan, but as far as I can see plugins do use the four cores whether they're logic's native or third party AU's (as long as they're are opened within logic that is?!?), one of the quick tests I did just after getting everything up and running.. y'know just to see just how far I could push my rig (as you do with a new toy) was to open just four audio tracks, each with instances of guitar rig in high quality mode and 6 instances of space designer using a really long convolution preset (don't remember which one), then I just kept on whacking more and more guitar rig FX/cabs etc into the presets (in the guitar rig instances) till all I could hear was pure white noise (indicating it had pretty much maxxed out), can't tell you how much it could take in any scientific measure but it took a long time and a lorra lorra FX to get it to max out, this was all at 2ms latency I might add :).. that pretty much kerbed my curiosity and I decided it was indeed a fecking beast way beyond my expectation (I'm very power conscious and have been using 4 PC's to complete projects in the past)

anyways.. during that test, there were four rows on logic's CPU indicator.. 3.5 of which were illuminated, the last one fluctuating.. which indicates to me that the plugin's were using all the cores and the 25%-50% of the last core was somehow reserved, possibly by OS processes?, anyhow that doesn't bother me at all as it seemed having that bit of extra overhead kept the OS and logic fully responsive and stable (just as if there was nothing going on in logic at all), ever tried stopping cubase SX versions on a PC when you hit max?.. had none of that kak at all

• 2 weeks later...

Just get a Q9450 when released.

And definetively you are gonna want a quad core over a dual core any day for audio applications.

Logic and most audio apps are some of the application which takes the most benefit from multicore cpus.

Just get a Q9450 when released.

And definetively you are gonna want a quad core over a dual core any day for audio applications.

Logic and most audio apps are some of the application which takes the most benefit from multicore cpus.

I agree.

Maybe not for now, but 4 cores will be used by most of the software in the future. It would be good to think about it in the long term.