Install XP or Vista for dual boot on existing Leopard disk

flare389

20 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I have a working version of Leopard (Kalway) and I want to know if it's possible to partition the drive and install a version of Windows. If so what is the best way without risking messing up my current Leopard installation?

Thanks,

Caleb

Here's my hardware:

Core 2 Duo

Gigabyte p35 ds3r

2 gb ram

Why would you recommend Vista more? Just wondering, I had it installed before I set up my hackintosh. I'm planning on using windows just for gaming and I thought XP would be faster.

Caleb

If you can spare the cash and have the space in your case (laptops won't work), unhook your OSX HD, get yourself another HD and install XP on it, make sure XP is set to be bootable, hook the OSX drive back up, boot into XP, use the chain0 method of dual booting (find it on wikipedia) to switch between the two.

If you can spare the cash and have the space in your case (laptops won't work), unhook your OSX HD, get yourself another HD and install XP on it, make sure XP is set to be bootable, hook the OSX drive back up, boot into XP, use the chain0 method of dual booting (find it on wikipedia) to switch between the two.

So there's no way to do it on the same partition?

I just tried installing XP and it worked. Here's what I did....

I already had a spare partition on my drive that I was using for backups, but if you don't I think GParted or similar may be able to create one for you.

Pop in the XP CD and install onto your empty partition, XP doesn't show partitions, just drive letters, so you have to kind of guess which one is NOT your Leopard. I assumed that the first drive was the Leopard one so installed to the second drive, which fortunately was correct. You may also be able to tell by the size of the partitions if they are different.

Once it's done you will only be able to boot into XP.

Stick in your Leopard install CD (mine was from Kalyway)

Let it load up to the install screen then select "Terminal" from the menu.

Type "diskutil list" and look to see the disk and partition your Leopard system is on (mine was disk0s1)

now type "fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX" where X is the disk number from the previous line

then type "update"

then type "f Y" where Y is the partition number for your Leopard (1 in my case)

now type "q", you'll get a warning, just answer yes

Reboot and press any key and you should get a list of options, Leopard and XP.

Good luck!

I just tried installing XP and it worked. Here's what I did....

I already had a spare partition on my drive that I was using for backups, but if you don't I think GParted or similar may be able to create one for you.

Pop in the XP CD and install onto your empty partition, XP doesn't show partitions, just drive letters, so you have to kind of guess which one is NOT your Leopard. I assumed that the first drive was the Leopard one so installed to the second drive, which fortunately was correct. You may also be able to tell by the size of the partitions if they are different.

Once it's done you will only be able to boot into XP.

Stick in your Leopard install CD (mine was from Kalyway)

Let it load up to the install screen then select "Terminal" from the menu.

Type "diskutil list" and look to see the disk and partition your Leopard system is on (mine was disk0s1)

now type "fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX" where X is the disk number from the previous line

then type "update"

then type "f Y" where Y is the partition number for your Leopard (1 in my case)

now type "q", you'll get a warning, just answer yes

Reboot and press any key and you should get a list of options, Leopard and XP.

Good luck!

K, one question. Can I add a partition in Disk Utility in Leopard? And what format does it need to be? NTFS right?

Thanks a lot.

K, one question. Can I add a partition in Disk Utility in Leopard? And what format does it need to be? NTFS right?

Thanks a lot.

You cannot add a partition using "Disk Utility" in Leopard, it will wipe everything, as far as I know. The format of the partition is irrelevant because XP will re-format it when it loads. Try GParted from here http://gparted-livecd.tuxfamily.org/ Burn it to a CD and boot off it. I think they also have a USB version if you can boot of USB drive?

You cannot add a partition using "Disk Utility" in Leopard, it will wipe everything, as far as I know. The format of the partition is irrelevant because XP will re-format it when it loads. Try GParted from here http://gparted-livecd.tuxfamily.org/ Burn it to a CD and boot off it. I think they also have a USB version if you can boot of USB drive?

This won't mess up Leopard will it? I'm using GUID, and Journaled formats for it's partition. Anything I need to know before I try this?

This won't mess up Leopard will it? I'm using GUID, and Journaled formats for it's partition. Anything I need to know before I try this?

Ah! Didn't know you were using GUID. I've heard you can resize and make partitions with Disk Utility if your using GUID, but don't know from experience, I'm using MBR. I'm pretty sure XP and Vista don't work with GUID, I've reached the limit of my limited knowledge, sorry :)

Ah! Didn't know you were using GUID. I've heard you can resize and make partitions with Disk Utility if your using GUID, but don't know from experience, I'm using MBR. I'm pretty sure XP and Vista don't work with GUID, I've reached the limit of my limited knowledge, sorry :)

hmmm.... that's not cool. All I need to know is if XP will dual boot with Leopard on GUID.

Why don't you try the "BootCamp" solution?

Run Bootcamp so it'll create a new partition for you and it'll guide you through the installation of XP (or Vista)!

Bootcamp will try to create the driver for Windows to use but just use Windows drivers (since it's PC anyway) when you got Windows install!

Just my idea, let us know if it works that way!

Why don't you try the "BootCamp" solution?

Run Bootcamp so it'll create a new partition for you and it'll guide you through the installation of XP (or Vista)!

Bootcamp will try to create the driver for Windows to use but just use Windows drivers (since it's PC anyway) when you got Windows install!

Just my idea, let us know if it works that way!

I'm using Kalyway and when I try to run bootcamp it says I have to update my computer's boot ROM firmware. Sounds iffy.

i have osx running on a Iomega external usb harddrive 120 GB. (sata)

at boot i can select a drive , internal or cd/dvd-drive ore the usb hardisk whit OSX. on the internal disk i have VIsta.

in the bios i can select the boot order

running fine (accept audio) on the HP NX7400.

to get osx on the USB drive. i put it in my laptop en started teh Kalyway setup 10.5.1. after the instalation, put it back in the drive case.