Dell XPS 720 w/nforce 680i

jimmyboy

11 posts in this topic

Has anyone had success with installing on the dell XPS 720 680i Mobo?

any install guides?

I tried installing to an IDE drive but can never boot, flashing cursor. I've tried all the recommended things for 680i boards in general. No luck.

Any help?

• 4 weeks later...

Same here man, very odd...Please anyone?

Has anyone had success with installing on the dell XPS 720 680i Mobo?

any install guides?

I tried installing to an IDE drive but can never boot, flashing cursor. I've tried all the recommended things for 680i boards in general. No luck.

Any help?

Hi Guys !

i tried also all the tricks i could to install Leo Kalyway on a XPS 720 and failed so far...

even with the right Bios Tweaking ( i think ) and with the right DVD it always fails at one point or an other...

could somebody please give us some hints ?

or more simply did anybody here manage to install Leo on this machine ?

Thanks !

Got my XPS 710 99% working.. only things that dont work are Sleep/ Speedstep. @ Vichrom: are you using PATA DVD drive

The 590 sli board and 680i are very similar in terms of issues, my frnd has a 680i board and we have the exact same issue in hackintosh.

im using Kalyway and my system never crashes. i think the mysticus DVD is the issue with crashing. MY sound is Sigmatel 9227 and it works allright, Ethernet is broadcom 57xx and its working fine but get drops.

Got my XPS 710 99% working.. only things that dont work are Sleep/ Speedstep. @ Vichrom: are you using PATA DVD drive

The 590 sli board and 680i are very similar in terms of issues, my frnd has a 680i board and we have the exact same issue in hackintosh.

im using Kalyway and my system never crashes. i think the mysticus DVD is the issue with crashing. MY sound is Sigmatel 9227 and it works allright, Ethernet is broadcom 57xx and its working fine but get drops.

Hamb0ne,

Yes. I did use a PATA DVD drive. My SATA DVD drive didn't work. Have you updated to 10.5.2? Are you using any special kernels? I'm curious to see try a different kernel and see if that helps.

yea updated to 10.5.2 with no probs and im using the 10.5.2 Nforce kernel. the 10.5.2 speedstep kernel works also but im not using it.

which kernel are you using?

Yeah. I am still using the kernel that came in the iAktoas iso. Tonight or tomorrow I will get around to updating to 10.5.2 and the Nforce kernel. Seems like that is the logical next step. I will post if it works out.

Yeah. I am still using the kernel that came in the iAktoas iso. Tonight or tomorrow I will get around to updating to 10.5.2 and the Nforce kernel. Seems like that is the logical next step. I will post if it works out.

iatkos is using nforce patched kernel already by kabyl... you can try the guide on my post to update to 10.5.2... also there are couple of extra kernels from kabyl, for nforce ... with hpet, w/o hpet, no efi, efi... etc.. PM if you need extra kernels...

@jimmyboy: if you wanna test it out, PM me, and our topic is here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=87901

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

My Dell XPS 720 works well enough.

I installed using a USB dvd drive, XxX 10.5.6.. All is working well, including my Nvidia 9800GTX

However network consistently drops the connection under "heavy" load.

I have tried a RTL8139 and RTL8169 card, with the same problem.

It seems the connection will "last" longer when i am using the 9.5.0 VooDoo kernel.

any ideas on the ethernet dropping issue? I am going to try a USB ethernet adapter this evening

thanks