Tiger on EeePC (Full Guide)

happycar

24 posts in this topic

Hey all!

I have gone through and written up a guide for those with an EeePC wanting to run Tiger.

I have put all the information at http://tigeroneeepc.wikispaces.com/

I used 10.4.9 Uphuck rev 1.3 for the install as I found it to be the best one to do the job!

I have also put on some Post Install details on how to tweak it to run or at least feel a bit faster.

Only thing that I am still having issues with is the FSB timings, It may need a new kernel.

I have tried with many many many newer kernels, but to no avail.

Anyway I hope my guide is of some use to someone.

Thanks!

Hey all!

I have gone through and written up a guide for those with an EeePC wanting to run Tiger.

I have put all the information at http://tigeroneeepc.wikispaces.com/

I used 10.4.9 Uphuck rev 1.3 for the install as I found it to be the best one to do the job!

I have also put on some Post Install details on how to tweak it to run or at least feel a bit faster.

Only thing that I am still having issues with is the FSB timings, It may need a new kernel.

I have tried with many many many newer kernels, but to no avail.

Anyway I hope my guide is of some use to someone.

Thanks!

It sounds really neat. But what I'd like to know is how responsive it is. Perhaps a youtube-video with it in action? I'd like to get a feel for how usable this actually is.

EDIT: Perhaps a RAMDISK for /var/log would be a good idea btw, to keep down write cycles to the ssd.

Great! I'm eager with anticipation.

Btw, are you dual-booting you EEE or is Tiger usable enough to use as your primary OS? What about cpu scaling? Is speedstep and such working as intended? What kind of battery time could one expect?

Great! I'm eager with anticipation.

Btw, are you dual-booting you EEE or is Tiger usable enough to use as your primary OS? What about cpu scaling? Is speedstep and such working as intended? What kind of battery time could one expect?

It's usable enough to do what I need to do day to day such as emails, iChat, iTunes. Speedstep kext installed OK, I haven't looked into that much though as I think I disabled CPU scaling in the BIOS! I'll have a look into that. the battery seems to from what I can gather, last around 2-3 hours. I haven't really timed it yet.

That will all be happening in coming days though. I don't dual boot though, I go between my 12" PowerBook and the EeePC!

1:10pm 100%

1:50pm 75%

2:30pm 50%

3:10pm 25%

3:30pm 10%

3:33pm 7%

3:38pm 1%

3:40pm Turned Off

Estimated battery life: 2 hours 30 mins!

WiFi was enabled and connected to a network.

iTunes was playing between two songs on loop.

LCD Brightness was quite high - Brighter than my 2 year old PowerBook at max brightness!

In the BIOS (Version 8804) CPU power auto saving was disabled.

Overall I am quite happy with this result :huh:

Hey, thanks for posting the video. Seems perfectly usable, but it's a real shame with the fsb timings. I'd have thought you'd get audio glitches and such in iTunes aswell with at skewed clock. Is that perhaps something you've experienced playing movies in say vlc or any other third-party app?

Really cool nonetheless. much snappier than i would've thought. Now if i just could get my eeepc...

• 2 months later...

interesting (shame I didn't buy one) I'm guessing the motheboard is the same in new 10 inch models? if so :()) I might trade in my dell latittude for one of those.

I'm guessing wifi is working out of the box but not internal headphone jack ???

and what about sleep/waking up ???

interesting (shame I didn't buy one) I'm guessing the motheboard is the same in new 10 inch models? if so :()) I might trade in my dell latittude for one of those.

I'm guessing wifi is working out of the box but not internal headphone jack ???

and what about sleep/waking up ???

No the wifi doesn't work out of the box. But some plp are working on it!

• 1 month later...

I just bought one, JaS 10.4.8 install went without problems and it seems all pretty well.

not working:

- integrated wifi

- audio out

- audio in

- FSB issue

Tiger just thinks the eee has 280MhZ FSB which leads to the timing/graphic/stuttering issues. also the clock is reeeeally slow.

wifi can be fixed with a cheap dell pci-e card, but i WANT the FSB issue solved.

typical FSB=70 kernel flag doesnt work on that install, anyone else out there? we just need to get this little thing to do the right FSB, than its a SUPERB macbook nano :P

Hi all!

MAC OS 10.4.8 runs on my eeepc very well. But I can not mouse some OK-Buttons because of the resolution. THe external monitor displays the same resolution. What can i do to run an external monitor with an higher resolution?

Thanks for any infos

Greetings from Germany!

d.

I just bought one, JaS 10.4.8 install went without problems and it seems all pretty well.

not working:

- integrated wifi

- audio out

- audio in

- FSB issue

Audio (speakers) should work using Azalia Drivers and Mic can be fixed up with a patch from Empty Skull.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi I was wondering if any of you would be able to help. I've been using this guide

http://eeepc-osx.wikispaces.com/Tiger_Install to install OSX on my EEEPC 1000H

My problem is I can't boot from a dvd. I have tried boot disks from other guides to and none seem to work. I'm using a usb dvd drive ATMT TSST corp CD/DVDW. I don't think the bios is picking it up.

Any help would be great thanks.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...