Leopard Recording Studio: Logic 8 Pro, Protools 7, Reason 4, Abelton Live!, GarageBand

iwish

16 posts in this topic

Can leopard on a pc run demanding programs like LOGIC 8, Reason 4, Pro tools, Ableton Live!, or GarageBand?

Many thanks in advance for any and all responses!

These music programs are demanding and require audio and usb to be working perfectly. Midi keyboards and external soundcards are often connected via usb and communicate through loaded drivers.

macbooks w/2gb ram can run this software and it would be great to get it running on a laptop. Has anybody done this already? Or any thoughts on whether/what pc platform could support these programs? The best would be to run these programs on a laptop. Or is the porting of leopard to the pc platform not quite up to this grueling test just yet?

Again, many thanks in advance for any and all responses!

Yeah no problems for me,

I've been using Garageband/Logic 8 Pro with my Line6 Toneport perfectly.

All running on a Dell Optiplex GX620 - 3.2GHz P4 with 2G Ram

I haven't tried any of the others ( Ableton Live was my No. 1 pick for Windows )

I've been hammering Logic 8 pretty hard and haven't found its limit yet !!!

Hi,

You can run all these programms without problems. Im running logic Pro 8 and reason. i also have connectd a external keyboard (Roland) using a usb device /Edirol usb midi interface). perfect.!!!

Greetings.

Thats awesome news, thanks guys!!

As to hardware/leopard build:

Impulsion, which sony vaio are you using? Id like to go down the intel/laptop route. From some of your posts it looks like most leopard issues are resolved? Are your solutions specific to the sony or most likely would work on similarly configured dell or hp?

alfredo456, what platform are you using, some sort of amd?

And thanks Satan, the opiplex is a good backup if i go desktop.

Thanks again for you help!

Nice to see musicians on the cutting edge:)

Thats awesome news, thanks guys!!

As to hardware/leopard build:

Impulsion, which sony vaio are you using? Id like to go down the intel/laptop route. From some of your posts it looks like most leopard issues are resolved? Are your solutions specific to the sony or most likely would work on similarly configured dell or hp?

Nice to see musicians on the cutting edge:)

i've noticed a lot of intel based laptops seem to have generaly the same chipsets, i don't see much of a problem finding repairs! i'm using a vgn-n325e. i still have a couple minor issues but nothing that will hinder the use of any audio software so far. i did notice that with reason 4, if you create something that is excessively effects intensive that reason tends to stop playing. i'm gonna go back to 3.0 and wait for an update to surface for 4.0. i've had no issues running serato scratch live 1.8 or traktor 3 either so far. i'm gonna install ILIFE later and see how far i can push it before it crashes. i'll keep you posted!

When you say "reason tends to stop playing", is that a core overload? Ive heard of that with logic 8 on leopard but not reason 4. I wonder if osx86 leopard on the same hardware as a macbook pro is as stable and high performing for a given program not accessing any peripherals... It would seem strange osx86 runs the program 90% as well as a macbook without accessing any unsupported hardware and then dumps for no obvious reason, so maybe the performance is the same as a macbook, any thoughts?

logic 8 on my hackintosh is a beast! able to do an insane amount of tracks at 96kbs (around 35 to 40) loaded with plugins. not that i ever need that but it is nice to know that i can. Impulsion what is it on you laptop that doesn't work( i just ordered a similar sony)?

everything that is functioning and not functioning is in my signature. as far as a core overload, i think that may be it. reason doesn't quit it just states that it can't finish playing due to insufficient hardware resources or something along those lines. i can't remember exactly, i haven't reinstalled it yet, just formatted yesterday

• 5 months later...

Logic 8 on my Desktop PC. Perfectly Working!!!!!!!!

Working AU Units (Tested)

Native Instruments Kontakt 3, Guitar Rig, Massive and FM8

Ohmforce Plugins

CPU: Q6600 - on 3 Ghz

BRD: Asus P5K

GFX: Nvidia 8800 GTX

Audio Hardware - Audio 8 DJ!!!!

Latenz below 5ms.....

• 3 weeks later...

Ohmforce Plugins

Latenz below 5ms.....

Did you have to do any additional patching for Audio 8 to work? I install NI's Drivers, but doesn't seem to be recognized.

Dell e510 pentium d

i

Logic 8.02 working fine here with AU units like Kontakt3, Massive, Albino, Predator and Stylus RMX.

Better than half my mates running real Macs. Now I am being hit up by heaps of people who want to run Logic but didnt want to spend the cash on a Mac.

I went out and bought Logic 8 - the price has been reduced by almost half from previous years. It's great and there are/were some good tutorials floating around on mixing and esx. there was a steap learning curve, and I'm not a pro yet, but I have been able to press record - and improvise on piano without latency and it's rock solid.

But most remarkably- I got Vienna Symphonic Library with vienna instruments working on AMD. This has it's own USB for decryption and it's all working fine with the latest VSL updates. I spent $600AUD bucks on this software, and the sounds are really nice - now I'm learning about articulartions and at a press of button all the sounds switch.....

I am considering putting in a raptor drive to give it a bit more punch - and maybe reduce load times. Otherwise very happy.

I have a piano with fully weighted keys and edirol USB> MIDI interface and it works a treat. This system is very stable, and the input output latency is the best with core audio.

the asio4all interface with windblows was causing pops and crackles. I even used the windows bare to bones but the experience was {censored}. Always some problems - troubleshooting malware ....very time consuming. I'm an IT expert but love making music. I only used XP now to watch movies with Gom player which is the best movie player and far better than VLC. Try it. www.gomplayer.com

• 7 months later...

I am very disappointed regarding using logic 8 on hackintosh.. After I spent lot of times tring to install a stable osx on my pc I finally did it (and gained a lot of know how regarding how to emulate mac os on an ordinary pc) and I'm very glad about it. Since I have seen some tutorials and demos about Logic 8 I wanted to install in on my pc - I have a Dual Core AMD based chip. Few days ago I stop testing and twicking my osx in order to improve logic's performances because instead of making musik I ended having a lot of frustrations regarding OSX and Logic. Even if my computer is quite a good machine in terms of using XP and let's say Cubase / Logic / NI stuff and more, Logic seem to be stuck after I use 8 tracks - the clicks and pops due to the CPU overload appear. I only open Sculpture in 1 track and one of my 2 cpus is up in the sky. I tried installing different osx distributions (leo4all or ideneb), different kernels but nothing seem to affect in a good way the quality. Also I tried to improve changing the buffer size but the things did not got any better. I found that not only the hackintosh users but the machintosh too seem to have issues regarding CPU overloading because of the bad multicore implementations in Logic. So.. I think (for me) the Logic on a hackintosh is just a beautiful story with a bad ending. I hearded that are people which have good logic banchmark scores on hackintosh. I don't have such. Maybe will come the time to embrance real Machintosh and the Logic world on a native environment. Till then I will stick to Cubase and PC configuration and using Logic only for final touch stuff if is necessary. So I will be glad to know people which successfuly created good music using Logic on an emulated osx! Maybe my hardware is now good at all. Cheers!

Ohmforce Plugins

Latenz below 5ms.....

Hello! I recently installed iDeneb 10.5.5 and everything went smooth during installation. However since the installation, 2 weeks have past and my system has FROZEN 5 times (mouse doesn't respond & keyboard too, screen is transparent grey on top side). I have the QUAD 6600 CPU, 4G OF RAM 1066FSB (LEOPARD RECOGNIZES THEM AS 800MHZ!!!) and my motherboard is ASUS P5K!

The reason I'm replying to you is because I've already loaded leopard with Logic Studio, Ableton Live, BFD2 etc. I am a recording engineer and I'm looking forward to changing platforms (Windows to Leopard). If I solve this issue with my system I'll also be ready to rock n' roll!

Any suggestions will be useful! Thanx!!!