PARTITIONING HARD DISC

ragu_gnana

14 posts in this topic

If the disk is currently formatted in NTFS or something else and you parition and format the disk in DiskUtility it will ask you whether you want to use MBR or GUID. Pretty sure MBR is the default, I haven't formatted a ntfs disk in ages so can't quite remember.

Hey Hecker, Be nice to us Ya? we are newbies man :) no pun itended.

Ok, so let's say, he is successful in above case, what will happen to his windows/vista on the old partion, that is fully working.

I am also dual booting vista/xp and have bought a new sata HD. (not yet installed) so if someone in our situation want to preserve the old systems, but want to install and use leopard on a new HD, but same system...

do they need to install, some boot software, so they get the choice of 3 different systems, instead of the current 2? and what software will that be? Or...

will leopard automatically make some kind of boot menu, thereby offering 3 choices?

and the kalyway disk, has to be burned as an iso? or just normal data. thanks mates...

The easiest thing I have found for dual booting on a hackintosh is using EasyBCD. You install it on the Vista side and it will come up with a menu when you boot asking you which OS to chose. It also helped me with a lot of the flakiness around recognizing boot flags on the osx86 intsalls.

Of course I now use my Vista disk for Time Machine backups, so I am not dual booting any more...

Hey Hecker, Be nice to us Ya? we are newbies man :) no pun itended.

Ok, so let's say, he is successful in above case, what will happen to his windows/vista on the old partion, that is fully working.

I am also dual booting vista/xp and have bought a new sata HD. (not yet installed) so if someone in our situation want to preserve the old systems, but want to install and use leopard on a new HD, but same system...

do they need to install, some boot software, so they get the choice of 3 different systems, instead of the current 2? and what software will that be? Or...

will leopard automatically make some kind of boot menu, thereby offering 3 choices?

and the kalyway disk, has to be burned as an iso? or just normal data. thanks mates...

Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude. Just wanted him to post his specs, ya? :(

"""The easiest thing I have found for dual booting on a hackintosh is using EasyBCD. You install it on the Vista side and it will come up with a menu when you boot asking you which OS to chose. It also helped me with a lot of the flakiness around recognizing boot flags on the osx86 intsalls. Of course I now use my Vista disk for Time Machine backups, so I am not dual booting any more..."""

Jlbrown23.......

Thanks, that's a big help. I will give it a try. Were you botting Vista as well as Xp, when you installed leopard? or just vista?

Was getting rid of vista worth it, i mean, can u do all things with mac now? Should I install easy BCD first before jumping to install leopard? Did you burn the image as an iso? or just data dvd? Sorry for so many questions.. Thanks for the help though.

"""Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude. Just wanted him to post his specs, ya? :rolleyes: """

Hecker:

Don't be sorry, It was a nice joke on him. I was gonna pull it on him cos he seems to be from Zhe Zermany ya? :hysterical: and they have lots and lots of zhe zermans there ya?.

"""The easiest thing I have found for dual booting on a hackintosh is using EasyBCD. You install it on the Vista side and it will come up with a menu when you boot asking you which OS to chose. It also helped me with a lot of the flakiness around recognizing boot flags on the osx86 intsalls. Of course I now use my Vista disk for Time Machine backups, so I am not dual booting any more..."""

Jlbrown23.......

Thanks, that's a big help. I will give it a try. Were you botting Vista as well as Xp, when you installed leopard? or just vista?

Was getting rid of vista worth it, i mean, can u do all things with mac now? Should I install easy BCD first before jumping to install leopard? Did you burn the image as an iso? or just data dvd? Sorry for so many questions.. Thanks for the help though.

"""Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude. Just wanted him to post his specs, ya? ;) """

Hecker:

Don't be sorry, It was a nice joke on him. I was gonna pull it on him cos he seems to be from Zhe Zermany ya? :angel: and they have lots and lots of zhe zermans there ya?.

:wacko: Yeah, I crack up every time I read his "ya". It reminds me of the movie "Snatch" when Turkish mocks his friend and asks him if he's afraid that zhe germans might come. *chuckletown*