Ok, I give up! I quit.... but I can't get vista or xp to boot now....

crikfromcincy

9 posts in this topic

So I've spent the last 3 days trying to get the kalyway copy of leo to install, and I eventually got leopard to install from another copy from another release, but it was painfully slow, and non reactive.... so I decided to just go back to being a windows dork, but I can't!!!!!! I've typed about a thousand different strings of commands in the terminal window to try and get the mbr reset so i have only the vista and xp that I used to, but nothing is working.... and now, for some unknown reason, the two partitions (all three were on same disk 0, one for vista, one for xp, and another for leopard) that have vista and xp are unmounted, and I can't get them to remount. What do I have to do to get back to my life when it was so much easier, and I wasn't trying to do too much on my weekend off? Please help. I just want to delete the partition leopard is on, and have my mbr back to what it was. I've tried booting into a live xp cd, I get BSOD... tried booting from vista dvd (two of them actually), and it just hangs. The ONLY thing that will boot is these damn copies of Leopard I have. PLEASE HELP!!! thanks.

***update... I was able to get gparted to boot.... I deleted the partition that leo was on, and I was able to set my vista partition to boot, but I'm getting an error at boot... usually I'd just pop in the vista dvd, and click repair install here, but it's not booting from either copy of vista I have. Any ideas?

**tried to load terminal, and did "fdisk mbr" says unable to open mbr....

You desperately need a bootable copy of vista. With that the repair is easy...

After booting the Vista install disk, click repair system and press next. Open the command window and type ‘diskpart’. Then type:

list disk

select disk [the number of your disk]

list partition

select partition [the number of your windows partition]

active

After that you can reboot. If Vista doesn't load, use the install DVD to repair your Vista installation and you should be set.

You desperately need a bootable copy of vista. With that the repair is easy...

After booting the Vista install disk, click repair system and press next. Open the command window and type 'diskpart'. Then type:

list disk

select disk [the number of your disk]

list partition

select partition [the number of your windows partition]

active

After that you can reboot. If Vista doesn't load, use the install DVD to repair your Vista installation and you should be set.

I can't boot the vista install disk.... It just hangs at a blinking cursor. Tried looking around for a bootable vista, can't find one. Any suggestions? I was hoping I could get one of these live cd's to work (got gparted, ultimate boot cd, hiren's, and a few others)... none are doing anything. Thanks for your response.... I could really use some help here. I'm currently working in gparted, do you have any suggestions on how I can get this working with this cd? Or do you have a suggestion as to another program I need to be running? Thanks in advance.

Honestly I'm not familiar with any of those disks. How did you install Vista in the first place? That DVD must have worked at some point... I dunno what to tell you at this point. I'll sleep on it and see if I think of anything creative. Hopefully you can figure it out before then. Or maybe someone else will be kind enough to offer a solution.

Vista still isn't booting, I changed sata back to ide from achi, and disabled virtualization (so bios is back to factory defaults when everything worked), I put in a copy of Acronis Disk Director, and it's tell me "Failed to read from sector 63 of hard disk 3"... and I'm pretty much stuck at this point.

I've used Gparted to fix this exact problem i had, I booted into Gparted, Selected my Vista OS, Right-clicked on it, Under the flags option, Click on boot. Let it do its thing. Restart, and vista should boot up. Well atleast that is what happened on me.. Hope it helps.

Sorry hear about your Leopard problems, but this exactly the reason to use a separate drive for Leopard. Had you done that rather than trying to put all 3 OS's on the same drive. I'm pretty sure you would not have had the problems you now face. You might want to go into your BIOS and check to see if it setup to boot from the dvd drive. If your windows discs boot before then I don't think it's the disc. It has to be something to do with your current setup. Leopard would not screw up your machine and preventing it from booting a windows disc. Now screwing up the MBR for windows... yeah for sure it would, especially if you didn't install Leopard right or whatever you're using as a boot manager. What are you using for a boot manager?

Chevy.

• 4 months later...

From my experience boot cds/dvds are picky about the boot order.

I figure they probe the disks for the mbr information at startup and have no fallback so they freeze.

Next time anybody has this problem, just remove the drives from the boot order in the bios to load the dvd then return it after the fix^_^

DuperMan