Help a noob install leopard

NoSmokingBandit

20 posts in this topic

i downloaded and burned the Kalyway 10.5.1 dvd and set off to install it. I had tiger on this pc before, so i thought i could handle it. Well, it boot into the as far as "laoding darwin x86" then the text spinner goes for about 1 minute and then it flashes something about efi but it was too fast i couldnt read all of it. Do i need to install pcefi? If so is there a noob guide for that? Most of this is very confusing to me since i am relatively new to the osx86 scene.

ill try that. I just tried to boot again and this time i was smart enough to remember the "-v" so i saw what was going on. It started loding all the kexts and got to the end of the list and started again. The second time through it only got about 3 kexts into the T's (io couldnt tell exactly where, they were moving fairly quickly) and then it crapped out on me. Is it safe to run in the install cd in safe mode?

yes , in fact, due to drivers (kexts) that would not work on my system, that was the only way i could install it. Boot from dvd, hit F8 till you get to the darwin prompt, use the -x -v flags and hit enter to boot. watch the text, if you get a kernal panic take a picture with a digital camera .

the panic should stay on screen so you'll have plenty of time to take a pic of it.

if it doesn't panic, then my friend hopefully you'll be at the installer prompt, then format, choose your options for install blah blah blah. I did use the kalyway 10.5.1 but In my case i chose to format to GUID on my PATA & chose only GUID boot manager on the last drop down on the installer. nothing else. but depending on your hardware, you'll have to experiement and see

hope that helps you guys

ill try that. I just tried to boot again and this time i was smart enough to remember the "-v" so i saw what was going on. It started loding all the kexts and got to the end of the list and started again. The second time through it only got about 3 kexts into the T's (io couldnt tell exactly where, they were moving fairly quickly) and then it crapped out on me. Is it safe to run in the install cd in safe mode?

It depends on your hardware. currently i'm still booting into safemode but its only because i'm waiting for the official 10.5.2 update from apple taht will support my 8800GT G92 nativly. once they're published i'm hoping just update and then i'll be able to use my hackintosh without the boot flags or you can try the beta kexts for 10.5.2 if you like, from what i read they're a bit unstabile yet but that's to be expected...

anyway, that's all speculation at this point, watch the log when you boot from hd after install and see where / if you get kernal panics and then you may have some more troubleshooting from there

awesome, i was just about to burn the dvd again but i figures i should check the forums just in case. If everything installs fine can i boot it up normally or do i always need to boot with the "-x" flag?

I tried booting the cd in safe mode but the same thing happened. I think it was right after "TMSafetynet.kext" or something like that, im not sure if thats even a real kext but it was going pretty quickly. Im going to burn the dvd at 2x and verify it afterward and see if that does anything. It might just be that leopard doesnt like my pc. Idk how well it works with old dell mobos.

Thanks for the help so far, i appreciate it.

Edit:

Upon further investigation i see that the tmsafetynet kext has kept a lot of people from booting into their leopard cd. I am running a Dell Optiplex gx240 with an nvidia geforce6200 agp card and the rest is stock. CPU is a 1.8ghz p4 sse2, and i have 768mb ram. I dont see a hardware trend with all the kext problems though. I'll keep looking...

hmm old dell board eh? Unfortunatly i can only speak of what worked for me but i'm using a 680i chipset so chances are things may be quite different.

reburn at 2x as someone suggested, see if that helps worth a shot.

you can also try booting with

-legacy -v

see what you get, but in addition i'd start with finding someone who has a similar hardware setup as yours and see how they did it :P seems like this process is slightly different for every setup

I tried booting the cd in safe mode but the same thing happened. I think it was right after "TMSafetynet.kext" or something like that, im not sure if thats even a real kext but it was going pretty quickly. Im going to burn the dvd at 2x and verify it afterward and see if that does anything. It might just be that leopard doesnt like my pc. Idk how well it works with old dell mobos.

Thanks for the help so far, i appreciate it.

Hi I'm having the exact same problem on my Compaq Presario 2500 laptop. I filmed it at high fps, slowed it down, and took a picture of the screen which I attached. (This is with Verbose mode and safe mode enabled)

post-150527-1201567359_thumb.jpg

I also own an Optiplex Gx240 that is sitting in the corner right now (Same as yours Radeon X700 AGP)

I will boot it up with the Kalyway and see what my luck is. :D

;) Peace,

-Matt

P.S. I have a thread on this if you are interested http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry598690

Yup the optiplex was a no go

It has same specs as you except mine has a Radeon X700 AGP and also a brand new lightscribe drive.

It quit out at the same point as yours...

Anybody got a clue?

not sure if this will help but i had to make my bootable disk by burning an img of the iso instead of choosing make bootabel disk [with nero 7 or 8]

then they would boot no problem

next i had trouble with my old mouse and kb being recognized

i switched to usb mouse and kb then the install went fine until last possible moment then hungup when it said less than a minute left.

now i suspect my brand new seagate drive 320 gig may be the problem as it never seems to stop spinning and is always humming along

i doubt these are your problems too but my point is leopard seems finicky in what hardware it will recognize

so maybe try newer hardware like dvd drives , mouse , kb and unplug anything else that isnt required for install

sorry guys, guess i wasn't much help. but at least you got a screenie of what's happaning in verbose mode

I ran across this : http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...Optiplex_GX_270

Optiplex GX 270

Install Method: Kalyway & GUID Partition

Audio & LAN working out of the box

Nvidia FX5200 AGPx8 works with NVInject from DVD with QE/CI . . . . . .

I've yet to install this onto my other box . Dell 530/dual xeon 2.2/SSE2 system but if i can find my other spare ide drive and some time, i'll give it a shot and see if i can manage to get it on there

i'll keep lookin around tho

No progress on the new dvd. Burned it at 1x and verified it, then booted with -v" and got the same error. Hmmmm...

Edit:

I read a post that Kalyway's DVD isnt really sse2 compatible. Im downloading iATKOS_v1.0ir2 right now. I hope it works. I like kalyway's installs though, they always come packed with a bunch of nice apps.

ahhh, progress, a good thing. :P

took me a while too, i went through i think 4 or 5 different installers before i found what worked for me

hang in there

iATKOS's dvd installed fine, but osx wont get past the bootloader. At least now i can get it installed. !!