sound ALC850 (nforce 4 on A8N32 sli del.) AMD on Zephyroth 10.5.1

Shitan

25 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I installed Leo on my AMD with a A8N32 SLI deluxe motherboard - i am quite happy with the relatively few number of problems i had. One of them was working but relatively choppy sound. Young and naive, i installed some AC97Apple something kext found through googling using kext helper. Of course, it didn't work, and instead of incredibly choppy sound i am left with incredibly nonexistent sound.

So, as a good kid, I went through tons of unanswered posts and other loosely related to my problem (and no matter what you'll say, i am *incredibly* thankful to the community, but i'd say these mountains of forum are about the least efficient to way to find and classify information related to installing mac os on a pc). I ended up using pacifier, using my zephyroth install dvd, look up the word "ac 97" (it is what i have, right?), and just installing the kext. I figured, since it worked when i installed it the first time (with choppy sound), it'd work again, no?

Wrong.

So, I am left with asking what did i do wrong? how is the package (AppleAC97audio) - the only one on the DVD, and the precise anme of the thing i changed for things not to work anymore - not good for my comp?

Please help!

• 4 weeks later...

Thank god there are others without sound too!i am going to try the file Snowski send.thanksno luck!i tried installing the kext but it didnt change anything.still no sound!any ideas?

EDIT: no luck!

i tried installing the kext but it didnt change anything.

still no sound!

any ideas?

EDIT2:

I also did this http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Audio guide and it didnt work.

So the question is: can we have sound on leopard with ALC850 or not?

Same problem same kind of board... Asus A8N Sli deluxe with alc850 no sound..

The wierd thing is that i can change the volume, and it is located at the midi setup (line-out on ac'97)

also the spdif out seems to work (i have no way to test this but is glowing red on the mainboard).

Any solutions will be very much apreciated! Everything else works great!

I used zephyroth 10.5.2 with AC97 driver no sound but can change volume, azalia driver no sound no volume change.

I read somewhere zephyroth 10.5.1 has a working kext for alc850 can some one try that?

Greetings from the Netherlands

Same board here A8N32 SLI Deluxe, used Zephyroth 10.5.2 DVD, which I must say worked great. My lan was slow as hell so I grabbed a used realtek nic from work, which solved that, but now no sound still. So I am also with you guys and although sound isn't the end of the world for me, it would be nice!

After some research, Im under the impression that my Board (MSI K9N4 SLI-F) has onboard ALC850 sound.

MSI lists it as ALC850: http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec....-F&class=mb

Both of Zephyroth's AMD Releases have audio working out of the box on this board, however, I just recently noticed some issues when using Garage Band. Once Garage Band is loaded audio volume can no longer be increased or decreased and sometimes drops out. I noticed that when i load Garage Band, the Audio MIDI setup changes from 2ch to 6ch audio. Im assuming this is the reason behind it bugging up. I ended up installing the CMI8737PCIAudioDriver kext for an old Nightingale Pro 6 soundcard i had lying around. sound is perfect with that.

Anyhoo, I have uploaded my ALC850 related AC97 Kext as well as my Apple HDA kext if any of you would like to try em. I recommend backing up your originals first, then moving your AC97 and HDA kexts to the trash and finally installing mine via kexthelper. If you get no audio, Try changing the output settings in Applications/Utilies/Audio MIDI setup from 4 or 6ch to 2ch audio. If that still doesn't work, then i don't know what else you can do. ;/

AC97_HDA_Kexts.zip

Thanks for the effort! I tried your kext still no luck ^_^ Volume is changeable, all looks fine in midi setup, overall everything seems te be correct but somehow no sound! Starting to think its just broken.. Gonna try Ubuntu Live cd to check the sound i'll let you know.

I have the A8N-SLI (not deluxe) which also has the ALC850 sound chipset. Sound worked out of the box for me. I was actually very surprised, seeing the number of problems others are facing. If I could help in any way, please let me know. I'm still new to Macs, so please tell me in detail what I need to do.

Could you give me your device and vendor id of your alc850? I presume you have a nforce4 chipset? You can check it when you are booting your pc devices are shown it should says something like ""multi media device" with the code ""0059 10de" if so can you upload your AppleAC97Audio.kext or AzaliaAudio.kext and maybe a screenshot and your midi settings?

(Kext file are located in the extensions folder.)

Thanks in advance

My Audio controller device and vendor ID is exactly what you mentioned in your post.

I've attached my AppleAC97Audio.kext. I should mention that I have done nothing whatsoever to patch this file. This is exactly what is available on the Zephyroth 10.5.2 DVD.

I would upload a screenshot of my MIDI settings. But I've got absolutely no idea where to find an image editor on Leopard. Could you tell me?

I've been playing music on my A8N-SLI Mac for at least a day now, and there don't seem to be any problems. Even my keyboard volume control keys adjust the volume correctly. But, I've got no idea how to check if more than 2 channel audio is working.

AppleAC97Audio.kext.zip

Anjan -

Read here for taking screenshots - http://guides.macrumors.com/Taking_Screenshots_in_Mac_OS_X

One other thing to post, Anjan - what do you have enable/disabled in your BIOS? MIDI, Game Port, Serial, Legacy USB. Over on the Zephyroth forum, we're trying to figure out if disabling certain things in BIOS make a difference in whether the sound on the A8N boards works.

Rob

My Audio controller device and vendor ID is exactly what you mentioned in your post.

I've attached my AppleAC97Audio.kext. I should mention that I have done nothing whatsoever to patch this file. This is exactly what is available on the Zephyroth 10.5.2 DVD.

I would upload a screenshot of my MIDI settings. But I've got absolutely no idea where to find an image editor on Leopard. Could you tell me?

I've been playing music on my A8N-SLI Mac for at least a day now, and there don't seem to be any problems. Even my keyboard volume control keys adjust the volume correctly. But, I've got no idea how to check if more than 2 channel audio is working.

Have you tested your mic in and/or line in?

Wow.. finally someone with the same problems..

I've got a notebook with a nForce 4 chipset, so with nForce 4 Audio.. VendorID 10de (nVidia) and DeviceID 0059 (so 0x005910de).

I patched AppleAC97Audio.kext with my ID's and I got a volume slider.. but no sound through my speakers.. I have also tried the MIDI thing.

But here is one thing and it might be worthful to check: When I boot Leopard, I get the following message a few times:

pci10de,59: family specific matching fails

pci10de: THats nVidia

59: Think it's referring to 0059, my deviceID

I really hope we can figure this out!!

Gr. Wout

• 1 month later...

i f*ck with sound many times, but now i have worked audio on my a8n-sli

thanks

Hi, I have an ABN5X mobo with ALC850 onboard audio...

I believe that most people on this topic would actually have sound working, but the channels swap around, sometimes randomly, sometimes when you open an audio editor like Logic or Garageband, and even when using iTunes. If you have your vendor and device info in the kext plist and the kext is correctly loaded - try going to Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup > Configure Speakers. Try messing arround with changing the channels and pressing the "test" buttons. I know it was mentioned earlier but I don't know if anyone has noticed it. I have tried looking for a solution to this, but have had no luck so far. Any help from the experts would be greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

I really hope guys that these tread is not dead, as you can see from my system specs I have the same chipset as you do, and I have the same problem that you do, about the swapping channels, I have sound with Kalyway right out of the box, but if I use garaband or VLC, I have no sound at all I have to restart the PC, I'll try with the kext that you guys posted and also with the MIDI thing, but if someone can comeout with a solution that'll be awesome, if I can help you out, let me know, take care

• 2 months later...

hmmm sorry I missed this topic. Ok this was bugging me too and the quick solution to this is just opening utilities, audio/midi setup drop sound to 2 channels saveAsus a8Nsli deluxe3800x2osx 10.5.2zeph rev 2 I believe2 gigs of ram everything working if something doesn't for you let me knowhmmm sorry I missed this topic. Ok this was bugging me too and the quick solution to this is just opening utilities, audio/midi setup drop sound to 2 channels saveAsus a8Nsli deluxe3800x2osx 10.5.2zeph rev 2 I believe2 gigs of ram everything working if something doesn't for you let me know

Elendil i have the same board as you.. Dfi Lanparty Ultra-D with ALC850 and NForce4 audio. Have you tried swaping the s/pdif jumper on the mobo and see if you get s/pdif option in sound settings? You know that the sound on our board is Nforce4 and the Codec is ALC850. The s/pdif can get out via NF4 sound card if you set the correct jumper, and via AC'97 ALC850 Codec. I will play with this thing later. At the moment my sound works, but only analog, i wish i could get s/pdif for my Logitech Z-5500. The sound i hear when i play music with itunes sounds choppy. My processor stay's at 15-20% always. I have an AMD Athlon X2 4200+.

So if anyone can figure this out, give me a private message.

later edit: i swapped the jumper on the motherboard and it doesn't work. Still the S/PDIF option is not available in the sound options. Did anyone get the spdif option there?

• 2 months later...

These kexts worked great for my Realtek alc850 @ ati sb400 card thank you so much

After some research, Im under the impression that my Board (MSI K9N4 SLI-F) has onboard ALC850 sound.

MSI lists it as ALC850: http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec....-F&class=mb

Both of Zephyroth's AMD Releases have audio working out of the box on this board, however, I just recently noticed some issues when using Garage Band. Once Garage Band is loaded audio volume can no longer be increased or decreased and sometimes drops out. I noticed that when i load Garage Band, the Audio MIDI setup changes from 2ch to 6ch audio. Im assuming this is the reason behind it bugging up. I ended up installing the CMI8737PCIAudioDriver kext for an old Nightingale Pro 6 soundcard i had lying around. sound is perfect with that.

Anyhoo, I have uploaded my ALC850 related AC97 Kext as well as my Apple HDA kext if any of you would like to try em. I recommend backing up your originals first, then moving your AC97 and HDA kexts to the trash and finally installing mine via kexthelper. If you get no audio, Try changing the output settings in Applications/Utilies/Audio MIDI setup from 4 or 6ch to 2ch audio. If that still doesn't work, then i don't know what else you can do. ;/

• 4 months later...

Im also working on an A8N-SLI Premium, and used the kext u posted from the Zephyroth 10.5.2 DVD. And at first it didnt work... But I forgot to also enable my Midi and game port in the BIOS as i had turned them off becouse there is no good driver for my other OS Windows Vista x64. After turning on Midi and the game port (im not sure if the game port is also needed) audio started to work!?

When I click on about this MAC and then on more information the Build in Audio section states there is no hardware installed, but i can use the audio control panel to set the audio properties and use the sliders, i must say the sound isnt even choppy or anything. So im happy  :D . Ty all for sharing your findings.

Oh, I also linked the kext file for anyone who needs it...

AppleAC97Audio.kext.zip

-=[MrOiZo]=- :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Im also working on an A8N-SLI Premium, and used the kext u posted from the�Zephyroth 10.5.2 DVD. And at first it didnt work... But I forgot to also enable my Midi and game port in the BIOS as i had turned them off becouse there is no good driver for my other OS Windows Vista x64. After turning on Midi and the game port (im not sure if the game port is also needed) audio started to work!?

When I click on about this MAC and then on more information the Build in Audio section states there is no hardware installed, but i can use the audio control panel to set the audio properties and use the sliders, i must say the sound isnt even choppy or anything. So im happy� :wacko: . Ty all for sharing your findings.

Oh, I also linked the kext file for anyone who needs it...

AppleAC97Audio.kext.zip

-=[MrOiZo]=- :)

Thanks for posting this !

It saved the day , trying to install kalyway 10.5.2 on a Gigabyte K8NSC-939.