Near Flawless install... Untill...

Macisgr3at

18 posts in this topic

Well i took the dive and bought an extra Hard Drive, i went through the installation of OSX86 and it went smooth with no errors or anything... Now im stuck at the Setup, once it gets to the file transfer portion it freezes up and resets with the OSX welcome video... I cant get past this...

Is their a way around this?

Thanks!

Id have to find a version of tiger... has this happened to you before? This is beginning to be a bigger pita than i thought haha....

Actually i do have a copy of tiger BUT it wont go past that root devices portion... Sucks... I would be happy if i could just install tiger haha...

Is their a version (even if it is older) that has little to no problems installing?

Thanks everyone!

I wonder if i can get through this if i bought a firewire card, and had my friend come over and import some files off his mac...

So instead of saying dont import anything....

I import some files off a mac...

Im going to give this a shot...

I sold my iBook a few weeks ago and now i really need some mac in my life haha!

Will accesories interfere during the OSX setup process??

I have a built in card reader, floppy drive, bluetooth mouse and keyboard, webcam and an external HDD... Should i disconnect all these things before setting up osx? All except for mouse and keyboard of course...

Guys please give me a hand! I need to get this machine running so i can do my school work in a few days!

Thanks!

Would having 4 gigs of ram interfere with the setup?

Fix the network card. Thats why its crashing. Even if you get passed this stage (which can be done) you still won't have networking making OS X practically useless.
How would i fix the network card? I didnt know that had anything to do with the setup! Thanks! :P

Yes, you need to fix the wireless card, but the steps are pretty simple:

1. Find the right .kext for your card (Ethernet or Wireless)

2. Put this .kext in a pendrive (USB)

3. Boot the Leopard Install DVD with the pendrive plugged in, open Terminal from the Utilities menu

4. Browse to /Volumes/NAME_OF_YOUR_PENDRIVE/

5. Copy the .kext that is inside your pendrive to your leopard partition typing:

cp -R /Volumes/NAME_OF_YOUR_PENDRIVE/YOUR_KEXT_NAME.kext /Volumes/YOUR_LEOPARD_PARTITION/System/Library/Extensions/

Remember to replace those NAME_OF_YOUR_PENDRIVE... to the real name, as well as the .kext name and Leopard partition name.

6. Reboot, pop out the DVD.

7. Press F8 and in the boot options type -f -v.

8.Then you should be all set, you'll be able to complete that initial setup.

Good Luck,

Paulo

Yes, you need to fix the wireless card, but the steps are pretty simple:

1. Find the right .kext for your card (Ethernet or Wireless)

2. Put this .kext in a pendrive (USB)

3. Boot the Leopard Install DVD with the pendrive plugged in, open Terminal from the Utilities menu

4. Browse to /Volumes/NAME_OF_YOUR_PENDRIVE/

5. Copy the .kext that is inside your pendrive to your leopard partition typing:

cp -R /Volumes/NAME_OF_YOUR_PENDRIVE/YOUR_KEXT_NAME.kext /Volumes/YOUR_LEOPARD_PARTITION/System/Library/Extensions/

Remember to replace those NAME_OF_YOUR_PENDRIVE... to the real name, as well as the .kext name and Leopard partition name.

6. Reboot, pop out the DVD.

7. Press F8 and in the boot options type -f -v.

8.Then you should be all set, you'll be able to complete that initial setup.

Good Luck,

Paulo

How do i find the .kext ?

Thanks for helping a n00b :unsure:

Find out the exact models of your network card and search the drivers forums for drives :( Download the kext file and load it.

Here is the link to my Driver request

I didnt know we had a drivers section haha!

I posted it up here, but did i post up the right info? Please take a look!

My integrated card is an Intel 82566DC Gigabit Platform LAN Connect