Installing/Loading a Kext...

27floyd

6 posts in this topic

Hi..

I have been messing with osx86 for a few months now.

Im trying to get a ATI card working and am willing to mess with these kext files, but I dont know how to "install/Load" it.

I can get it to show in the system/library/extentions file but how do i specify I want to use "THAT" one over the others listed..

When I look in the infor about this mac it says "no kext loaded"

I intsalled it with "kext helper" and it said installed but after a restart nothing is different?

Thanks for any help..

you should do it by yourself:

open terminal

sudo -s

<enter password>

cp -R /path/to/new/kext/newKext.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/*

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/*

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

<now restart>

at this point it is in use.

Thanks for your reply.

I deleted the old kext I installed with kext helper, and then did it your way.

Everything went well no errors.

I restarted and the same thing happened..

No difference, no kext loaded..

?

any ideas?

what do you mean no kext loaded?

If you did it right, then it definitely loaded. If you really think it didn't load, try booting in single-user mode:

hit F8 to get boot options, then type "-s". This gets you to a command line interface. Type whatever it says "to mount the filesystem", otherwise you can only read files, not write. then do the commands I gave you.

If that still fails, then there is something wrong with the kext.

I think your problem is with the kext. What card do you have? What kexts are you using?

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem:

Whatever I patch with AppleIntel830.kext, (or 915), the kext is not recognized.

HP 530U Graphic: Intel865G (onboard). Device ID 0x2572. I kept mixing and renaming, and patching files, but without the described success.

Running the System Profiler, look at Graphics/Displays I get the information "No Kext Loded"

I have been looking for so many instructions for how to install the kext. I could change the resolution to 1600x1200 but no video or movie works.

It is like stepping in the darkness, is there any possibility to know what I do? What kind of data works with the graphics chip? To see any reaction of the machine to any applied data insted of trying one after the other, keeping to reboot the computer?

Well if you are messing with kexts jus to get your ATI card working. There's a easier way.

Just download UInstaller (http://######.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=149&Itemid=48)

And select Checkbox "Apply EFI String for Video Card" and select your ATI Card in List n Hit "Install"

Once your are done with the installation "Reboot" your card will be good to go...

Good Luck... ;)

Hi..

I have been messing with osx86 for a few months now.

Im trying to get a ATI card working and am willing to mess with these kext files, but I dont know how to "install/Load" it.

I can get it to show in the system/library/extentions file but how do i specify I want to use "THAT" one over the others listed..

When I look in the infor about this mac it says "no kext loaded"

I intsalled it with "kext helper" and it said installed but after a restart nothing is different?

Thanks for any help..