[Solved] Asus G1S - So close, yet so far

Treyarch

33 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

Just posting some information and asking for some help about my failure to install Leopard on my G1S.

After reading a lot and many many tries at installing OSX, first of all I found out that only Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD worked for me, even iATKOS v1.0r2 has booted to the install.

I've successfully booted the install DVD with cpus=1 -v flags and managed to install everything correctly, checking the vanilla kernel and MBR_EFi. GUID_EFI hasn't worked for me for some reason. Also be aware that this Asus notebooks, like many notebooks come with that special hidden recovery partition and you will always get a b0 or HFS+ error on reboot after install (At least with GUID_EFI checked, I haven't tried MBR_EFI).

After successful install, I was able to boot using the install DVD with the cpus=1 -v rd=disk0s2 flags (disk0 being my HD and s2 the second partition where OSX was installed). There, I got to the "Welcome" screen and was unable to get past the "Do you own a Mac?" screen because my ethernet wasn't recognized. So I rebooted into single user mode with the install DVD (cpus=1 -v -s rd=disk0s2 flags) and create the root account with this method:

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

passwd root

(choose a password)

(confirm password)

And then I get pass the Setup with this command:

touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

And reboot.

From there I boot using my install DVD again and success I finally on the desktop.

From there I just play around a bit and reboot so I can try login in without the DVD. From there everything goes bad. I first tried booting just by using the cpus=1 -v flags but I get stuck at "using 10485 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers".

So I go here (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=78235), download the kext, follow the method and replace them from the Terminal with my install DVD. No luck everytime I reboot, the kext I just replaced are apparently replaced by newer ones just before my boot locks up at "using 10485 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers".

On a side note, I found out that replacing the kext, deleting the caches, and trying to repair permissions locks up my Disk Utility console on the install DVD.

So what do I do wrong? Is there any hope? Why is it that I can boot using the install DVD but not by itself. Is it the ACPI_Fix at the install that replaces my own kext?

Anyway I hope this helps others who have a G1S and are trying to install Leopard.

Cheers.

Hi!

I have the same problem. And still stuck at this error "using 10485 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers" on my Asus Z53S mobo. ACPI fix from the "How To..." topic gives me nothing. There is a big bug with ACPI support in the Asus (AMI) BIOS. Downgrade from v2.08 of bios to 2.06 gives me nothing. I tried kalyway 10.5.1 (DVD boots with cpus=1 -v, install, but HD loading after installation stops loading, only blinking cursor), I tried 10.4.8 Tiger - DVD boots with all the parameters, that I know (cpus=1 -v -x -f noapic noacpi acpi="off" platform="x86pc"), after installation - the same error. Copying extensions.mkext from DVD and renaming of Extensions folder give nothing. And finally - BrazilMac 10.5 Leo DVD didn't boot. What can I do?

P.S. And I have Toshiba A100-786 with EFI_8.0 and working vanilla onboard, and everything works well. So I would be glad to have the second perfectly working hackintosh system on my ASUS mobo.

i finally got osx running with kalyway 10.5.1 on my g2s with the help from soupcancooloff..

you should maybe read this

the kexts he speaks about (which should solve your problem) can be found here

=> JaS_ACPI_APIC_Tiger_Kexts.zip

and this:

Laptop: Asus G1S-A1 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220182)

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz

Total Number Of Cores: 1 sad.gif

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Bluetooth: suported natively

DVD: R+W supported

Firewire: suported

HDMI port: haven't tested yet

eSATA port: haven't tested yet

Audio: Realtek ALC660 HDA

Built-in speakers, headphone jack, Mic work perfectly (see below)

Digital port is also detected, but haven't tested it yet.

Web Cam works. - Install skype first. It recognizes the webcam right away.

I think webcam might not work if you didn't install graphics card drivers.

Only problem is the image it 180 degrees inverted!

This is a known problem for this model in linux world biggrin.gif

If anyone is interested: http://linux-uvc.berlios.de/

Graphics - let the specs do the talking biggrin.gif :

driver installation see below:

Chipset Model: Graphics by NVIDIA

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0407

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: NVinject 0.2.0

Display:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

Display:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

SATA: JMicron/ICH8: Detected as ICH8-M AHCI, 3.0 Gigabit

WiFi: Intel 4965 AGN : not detected, yet. - didn't try to.

Ethernet: Realtek Gigabit suported natively

Modem: Not detected, does anyone use it any more? wink_anim.gif

My short install method (used usb connected external IDE hard drive):

1. Kalyway 10.5.1: vanilla only (no acpi fix) + GUID_EFI

a. Note down your osx partition after partitioning your drive.

eg. disk1s2 is your osx partition. remember disk1s1 is EFI, and disk1 is the harddrive. This info can be found out using : use terminal - 'disktool -l' or 'diskutil list'

b. Go to Bios -> Boot -> Hard Drive -> move the USB connected hard drive to first preference.

2. a. Download and save them to thumb drive JaS_ACPI_APIC_Tiger_Kexts.zip from here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=78235

b. Boot using DVD ( use 'cpus=1 -v rd=disk1s2' to boot., where disk1s2 is your osx partition.

c. Open terminal and disable NVDAResman.kext (ie.e move them to a folder or maybe on your thumbdrive). This will make booting into the system easier.

d. Follow the guide from above link to replace the ACPI & the APIC kext with the ones in the zip.

e. Repair permisions on the drive (you can use Disk Utility from DVD menu).

f. Delete /System/Library/Extensions.mkext , /System/Library/Extensions/Cache/* , /System/Library/Cache/*

j. reboot. you should be able to boot with "cpus=1 -v -x"

3. Audio:

For Realtek ALC660:

a. Download HDA_133a1.tar

b. Disable AppleAzalia*kext

c. Repair permissions.

4. For Geforce 8600M GT

a. Download this installer 10.5.2NVkexts+ installer v0.1

b. Install it. And don't restart yet.

Open the terminal and modify NVDAResman.kext\Contents\Info.plist. Replace 0x011010de& (first hex string that is) with 0x040710de&

Here 0407 is device id for my 8600M GT

c. Repair permissions and restart.

Key is to do the graphics card at the end!

Thanks to Kalyway, THE0 (xxx buffer headers error) , AlexIT (audio), scottdangle ( GFx card driver installer).

Happy new year to all. Now I can go to sleep . Cheers!

found this somewhere on the internet and copied it, but can't find the link anymore.. hope the person, who wrote it agrees with posting it here.

i got everything working except the built-in dvb-t card, ethernet (attansic l1 in g2s *grml*) and wlan (ipw4965, bought a cheap usb-adapter from conceptronic -> c54ru)

g2s has another soundcard built-in.. the drivers can also be found somewhere here on the board.. can't remember it right now.

hope you guys get it working now!

I tried following those steps, and I still get an error saying how it cannot find the driver for my ACPI platform. I can boot into it from the Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD using the cpus=1 rd=disk0s2 method. I also have 4gb of ram and the 300 bios, so maybe that is what is messing with my attempts. *Shrugs* I am probably forgetting something small. Repaired permissions from the DVD, deleted the caches and the like. oh well :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, finally, it's done at last ! After countless tries, iATKOS_v1.0ir2-EqUaTe1+BadBIOS.ppf is the Holy Grail for my G1S-AK005C.

Nearly everything is working out of the box, except for the Intel 4965AGN Wifi chipset. I've got sound, Geforce 8600GT full resolution with QE enabled, ethernet and both cores working.

Fantastic work EqUaTe1.

Cheers.

I have a G1S-B1 laptop. I got the Kalyway image in hopes of dual booting OSX, but I cant get it to work.

I installed with no ACPI fix, with EFI MBR. I did the ACPI/APCI and firewire fix as described in the other post from a Linux LiveCD, deleted cache and recovered permissions but I still get the buffer headers error on HDD boot. I can boot with the CD, but of course it boots in safemode. Is there any hope of getting the Kalyway image to work, or should I just download the iATKOS image?

I cant get the iATKOS installer to find my hard drive. It doesnt show up in the Disk Utility, while it does in the Kalyway install. When I plugged my USB external in, it detects it and I even tried to install to a partition I made on the drive with no success. I have seen that there can be conflicts with JMicron SATA controllers. Has anyone else had this problem that found a workaround?

Hi Treyarch.

I have also a G1S.

I have the same problem as kaf, i dont see my hard drive to install mac os, and i have chosen Compatible mode.

I also formated a partition in WIndowsXP with FAT32, so that i can install the MAC os x.

i can see all my partitions in Disk Utility, but i cant mount them or anything.

I tried to format them in MAC OS Extended (doing the erase) but no luck.

Any advisE ?

Yes, finally, it's done at last ! After countless tries, iATKOS_v1.0ir2-EqUaTe1+BadBIOS.ppf is the Holy Grail for my G1S-AK005C.

Nearly everything is working out of the box, except for the Intel 4965AGN Wifi chipset. I've got sound, Geforce 8600GT full resolution with QE enabled, ethernet and both cores working.

Fantastic work EqUaTe1.

Cheers.

How did you get both cores working. Did you use the EMI bootloader or the x86 one. I tried the EMI but it didn't boot. When I tried the X86 it booted but only with the cpus=1 option.

I installed using EFI, and then then the stock kernel. *NOT* checking the using stock acpi kexts.

Also didn't install any NVinject from the DVD since it did not work on my laptop.

Then used the 0.2.1 NVinject, and the 10.5.2 drivers and OpenGL Framework.

Have CI/QE, but still have to boot with cpus=1 :P

So, I am on the same level here trying to get both cores working too, but at least I'm farther than I've ever been :P

After many attempts with Kalyway,I did it as suggested above with SSE 2,on external USB 2.50' hdd.Laptop is ASUS G2S. Boot with cpus=1 flag.

Later I installed Leo4All v2 without problems on internal HDD ,dual boot with Vista with EasyBCD. Same problem -only one core.

Read somwhere that a modified bios is needed to use both cores and it was someone with same laptop wich succesfuly flashed and installed.

I installed using EFI, and then then the stock kernel. *NOT* checking the using stock acpi kexts.

Also didn't install any NVinject from the DVD since it did not work on my laptop.

Then used the 0.2.1 NVinject, and the 10.5.2 drivers and OpenGL Framework.

Have CI/QE, but still have to boot with cpus=1 :)

So, I am on the same level here trying to get both cores working too, but at least I'm farther than I've ever been :P

If you want both CPUs to work you'll need to patch your bios. Go here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=650994

However once I enabled dual CPUs I get increadable lag, still trying to figure that one out.

I'll post my cinebench scores as soon as I can get a good link to download it. Has anyone gotten their sound card to work with headphones? If so can you link to the appropriate resource. Thanks.

Anyone do any testing with the 8600m GT?In Cinebench I only get ~1500 on the OpenGL score.Should be around 4000...
I got ~4462 in OpenGL.I'm using the drivers from the NVInstallerV.41.pkg