CPU overheating shutting laptop down!

bond00

18 posts in this topic

I installed ToH RC2 and ran the patch. I have a great operating that seems to be stable besides one thing...the CPU overheats BAD!! Right now it's at 81 C. Before I figured out it was the CPU, the laptop just shutdown on me twice.

I've deleted the AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext and AppleCPU.kext...not sure of the exact names, but both are gone.

Any other ideas on how to get the fans running? They don't even kick on or anything so that's why it's overheating!! Any ideas!! Please let me know...otherwise I'll have to go back to Kalyway, but I was getting random lockups on boot with kalyway. Thanks!!

Sorry about that...I should have thought of that! Here are my specs.

It's a Compal IFL90 which includes:

2.2 Ghz Core 2 Duo

2 GB RAM

Intel Mobo ICH8 Chipset

Realtek ALC268 HD Sound (works!)

512 MB 8600M GT (works!)

Broadcom 4311 Wireless (works!)

Bluetooth (works!)

160 GB Toshiba HDD

Hopefully those are detailed enough. I don't have this problem in Kalyway or iAKTOS, but both of those lock up randomly on me occasionally when I boot...especially when I'm running on battery only (or so it seems).

I noticed on boot that HPET is enabled. I've heard that HPET is bad and can cause problems...but I don't know how to disable and I'm not even sure that's the problem! Thanks for the help!!

try messing around with bios settings, that usually does the trick. Turn off speedstep, turn off virtualization, turn on execute disable bit, and try turning on thermal management, also if there are fan controls, try turning your CPU fan to 100%

That's another problem I have...my BIOS is ridiculously simple. The ONLY option I can edit is the boot order. I have tried updating BIOS and that did nothing. Thanks for the help...can you think of anything else I can try doing as messing with my BIOS is not an option??

• 1 month later...
Same problem here, using iAKTos 1.0vR2. It appears that the fan control is broken, the fan speed don't increase!!

My hardware is a celeron M530 (core2duo cap) with a intel chipset, vga X3100.

You could rewrite bios on that Compal using Phoenix bios edit pro, but you'd have to know what you are doing. You can find a copy of that on a certain body of polluted water, or buy it if you have an extra six grand laying about.

• 1 month later...

The topic http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry647544 is gone, I dont´t know what happened.

There is a copy here:

http://www.omgili.com/preview/aHR0cDovL2Zv...3RvcGljPTkwMzI1

If someone still have this problem this is what I did to fix my:

Try this to fix the overheat problem, worked with me:

1. Install temperature monitor 4.5, you can get a copy here http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19994

It will ask to install some drivers to read the temperature from the sensors, accept.

After this you should have the temperature of your harddisk and CPU. Now ACPI will be able to read the proper temperature and regulate the fan speed, but if the problem persist follow step 2.

2. Restore the AppleACPIThermal.kext that iatkos removed from /System/Library/Extensions Type in terminal: cp -R /Library/Backups/AppleACPIThermal.kext /System/Library/Extensions chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIThermal.kext chown - R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIThermal.kext Reply if works (sorry my bad ingles).