[How To] run PPC AU/VST Plugins on Intel

bongfury

5 posts in this topic

Picked this trick up from somewhere, don't know if it has been posted here, but you can get Power PC (non intel) VST/VSTi/AU plugins running on intel machines (leopard, tiger, whatever) with your sequencer of choice by doing the following;

Grab the last PPC version of RAX (I think it's Rax v1.2.3... from memory) (newer versions are UB and will not work in this scenario it has to be the PPC version)

when you open Rax it will now run under Rosetta Emulation on your intel mac/hackintosh.

your PPC plugins will be detected and run in RAX :) nice!

now route any required midi channels from your sequencer to RAX via IAC...

route any audio channels between the sequencer and RAX (not actually necessary unless you want to record output/add more fx in sequencer).. or vice versa via PLASQ's wormhole plugin (it's free now too).

Theres likely to be a fairly sizable CPU hit due to rossetta but not really that bad if you're a using multi-core CPU (only tested Spectrasonics Trilogy so far myself)..

All respect to whoever worked this procedure out in the first place.

• 4 months later...
Grab the last PPC version of RAX (I think it's Rax v1.2.3... from memory) (newer versions are UB and will not work in this scenario it has to be the PPC version)

Anyone know where i can pick up this old version from? The only one thats on the site is the latest version and google aint much help.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Check new releases. anv has just put out a patched binaries release which apparently speeds up rosetta on all intel machines, even real macs he says!

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1114563

ps. you can load rosetta plugins under cubase 4 as well

btw, cubase ditched standard fxp support which is a big gripe for me :) you can import the fxp then you have to save them in their preset system and you cannot export them back to fxp anymore.

Are they stupid? Soundframe has been built without fxp in mind :(

Cheers,

HC