Can I use CCCloner to backup osx to external usb hdd

mschilling

10 posts in this topic

So I can use CCC to do the copying instead of booting with the hiren CD, that sounds better. It used to be that to boot from an external hdd, a mac needed a firewire connection. With the intels now, it looks like the usb connection will work which is nice.

OK, now that I have a successful installation of both Vista and OSX dual booting from a single hdd, what is the best way to back up the complete disk, including both os? The tutorial on the genius bar mentions a program to do just that, but cautions that it won't work using Leo, only Tiger, so that's out. Any recommendations?

FYI, you don't have to partition your Time Machine drive. As long as you don't mess with the directory Time Machine puts its stuff in, it won't hurt to have other stuff on that drive.

I installed Kalyway on my backup drive, then booted from that to install EFI V8 and Leopard retail on my main drive. Now my Time Machine drive is a bootable recovery system.

That sounds like a great backup system, very flexible. With my laptop, since I can't have a second drive, can I do the same booting from an external hdd? Looks like Time Machine is working good for me letting me access file I have since deleted, but the volumes for any Windows partitions are grayed out for restore. So it only works for mac volumes. Is there a way to backup my entire hdd, with both bootable partitions intact?

HI

I'm excited that you got that laptop working. I do have what I believe is the best answer for you. Drive Genius has a duplicate function which uses bit for bit copying between source and destination. While the other solutions mentioned will probably care about the formatting of the drives in question, if you use the "duplicate device" function in Drive Genius, it will give you a bit for bit copy.

I can give you more assistance with this, including a link to get a working copy of Drive Genius. I'm interested in just how you did the Kalyway installation. Were you able to just run the installer and have everything work?

Officemax has a deal on that laptop right now, and I would get one if I knew I could get it working to the point you have!

Please respond privately to garrsk@gmail.com

Thanks

Pandar

Yes, it was a painless installation using either Kalyway or Uphuck versions of Leo. Both partitioning schemes worked well, and I have one hdd with a GUID EFI version installed, and another hdd with MBR partitioning dual booting with Vista. Not much of a difference so far. I only had to run the one patch for the HDA sound to work, and we got to play around with Garageband using a cheapo headset mic. I haven't had a chance to plug in our M-Audio usb preamp to see if that is recognized. It is nice to have Vista still working as if you need to go on battery power, Vista will give you some warning as the battery runs down, and probably better energy efficiency too. I just bought an external case for my extra sata hdd and tried setting the bios to boot from external usb and it booted fine using the GUID hdd. Now I'm thinking that a good backup for my working system is to simply make a disk image of it when booted from usb. That way it will be just the size of the install, rather than the complete 200GB backup like a bit for bit copy would make. The Nero emergency cd does that function too I think. Not sure if I can make a similar image of the Vista partition using disk utility, but that may work too. Any more questions you have feel free to ask. So far I'm very happy with this laptop!